Author Topic: Our fine school system continues to destroy America  (Read 9294 times)

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
Re: Our fine school system continues to destroy America
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2006, 01:54:49 am »
Nobody likes getting notes from their teachers.  It's either a) bad news or b) creepy.

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2006, 04:41:18 am »
Fucking commies, messing up our school system. "Let's make everyone succeed no matter how much they don't deserve it!" Next we'll see the teachers giving A's to everyone. Sucess is nothing without failure.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 04:43:11 am by MetaL MilitiA »
Hitmen: art is gay

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2006, 04:46:23 am »
Sucess[sik] is nothing without failure.

Not true as a general statement.

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2006, 04:50:21 am »
I think it'd help if you gave instances where it's not true, instead of leaving us with an ambiguous statement. Also, thank you for that [sik]. Somebody might have thought that you made the spelling error, even though in big bold letters it says "Quote from: MetaL MilitiA".

Offline Eric

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2006, 07:25:06 am »
I think it'd help if you gave instances where it's not true, instead of leaving us with an ambiguous statement. Also, thank you for that [sik]. Somebody might have thought that you made the spelling error, even though in big bold letters it says "Quote from: MetaL MilitiA".

Ironically, it's sic, not sik.

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2006, 08:09:34 pm »
If the social interaction is regulated and forced, then it is not genuine.

Of course it's not genuine or sincere if it's forced, but who ever said sincerity was required for social interaction?  Come to think of it, who said that it would be forced interaction?  The invitations can always be easily given at a more appropriate time: after school.
Have you ever studied a foreign language in class?

I took five years of Spanish between high school and college.  In high school it wasn't quite as in-depth, but in college, they only let you speak Spanish once you're into conversational Spanish classes.

I always hated when we were given role-plays to do.  Or, "Habla de las ropas en la tienda" (Talk about the clothes in the store").  What the fuck do I care about clothes in a store?  Do you know what my shopping consists of?  I go in, find the pair of shorts or a T-shirt that I like, make sure I find one that will fit, pay, and leave.  It takes me about 3 minutes per item.  I don't need to talk to anyone about it in English *or* in Spanish.

That's a "forced" social interaction.  In my mind it never helped me learn Spanish any better because I didn't know what I was supposed to say in English, let alone in Spanish.  "Esta camiseta es azĂșl."  Whoopdie fucking doo, the shirt is blue. 

Once I got into conversational Spanish classes, *that* was what really helped me.  Being able to talk about what I was going to be doing over the weekend, how my classes were going, things that actually were relevant to my life, I became pretty close to fluent in under a year.  Now, two years later, I could still carry on a conversation, albeit slowly.  I'm convinced I could achieve fluency in about a month of total immersion.  I can't say the same for the year before conversational Spanish.

The point being, when we force social interactions, we're not equipping children to deal with the real world.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2006, 08:11:20 pm »
We are forced to do social interaction in my spanish classes. "Talk about what you will do for the weekend. 20 lines minimum, 10 per person."

I can summarize in one line: "play videogames and sleep."

That's freaking it.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2006, 09:12:42 pm »
We are forced to do social interaction in my spanish classes. "Talk about what you will do for the weekend. 20 lines minimum, 10 per person."

I can summarize in one line: "play videogames and sleep."

That's freaking it.
You can be forced to interract, but those are still real things you say...but when you force kids to invite everyone to their party, it just doesnt work the same way

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2006, 09:43:47 pm »
Those may be real things, but it's overkill and it is not something that I talk about every day. Sure, you could talk about shopping at the store (see MyndFyre's post, which mine feels the same way about), but it is not a normal conversation.

Nobody likes getting notes from their teachers.  It's either a) bad news or b) creepy.

My friend Mike got a note from his teacher at the end of the year. Went something like, "Dear Mike: It was a rough year but we got through it. Have fun in your new home with your new puppy. Keep James K. (that's me) away from me next year." eh?
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2006, 10:51:05 pm »
Those may be real things, but it's overkill and it is not something that I talk about every day. Sure, you could talk about shopping at the store [...] but it is not a normal conversation.
That's exactly my point.  :)  You hate doing it because it's not natural, and so you push away whatever you're doing.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2006, 11:05:57 pm »
You can be forced to interract, but those are still real things you say...but when you force kids to invite everyone to their party, it just doesnt work the same way
You might hate inviting all those kids to your party, but what if you didn't have to? Think of the feelings of the kid(s) you left out.  :P
errr... something like that...

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2006, 04:24:49 am »

I think it'd help if you didn't post ready made platitudes.   I don't like having to exemplify something that should be simple enough that you can think about it on your own (granted, it has to be pretty simple in your case).  Anyways, here's an example.  Success can be defined as the completion of a task.  If someone does not attempt the task, does he automatically fail it?  I don't think so.  And the success of completing this particular task may be commendable.

Is complex analysis (imaginary numbers) not an important success?  Had anyone failed at introducing complex analysis?
What about calculus?  What about algebra?  This list isn't exhaustive.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2006, 04:34:33 am by Rule »

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2006, 05:27:59 am »
I think it'd help if you didn't post ready made platitudes.   I don't like having to exemplify something that should be simple enough that you can think about it on your own (granted, it has to be pretty simple in your case).  Anyways, here's an example.  Success can be defined as the completion of a task.  If someone does not attempt the task, does he automatically fail it?  I don't think so.  And the success of completing this particular task may be commendable.

Is complex analysis (imaginary numbers) not an important success?  Had anyone failed at introducing complex analysis?
What about calculus?  What about algebra?  This list isn't exhaustive.
No matter how commonly used that phrase is, it fits perfectly into this discussion.

If somebody does not attempt the task, he obviously neither succeeds or fails. If somebody does attempt it, yet doesn't complete it, that's considered failing. Anything you can succeed in, you can fail in, even if it's as trivial as pressing a big red button. The larger the margin for failure, and the smaller the margin for success, success tastes much sweeter.

Introducing complex analysis, is the outcome of intense thought, of somebody attempting to find an answer to an equation. I can assure you that many, many people in the past have attempted to solve the equations that held negative square roots of numbers, yet failed. If complex analysis was complete common sense, and just about anyone that would think about solving an equation that matches the above parameters could succeed in it without any prior knowledge of complex analysis, than it wouldn't be much of a success, as the margin for failure would be little, and the margin for success would be large.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2006, 12:49:42 pm »
You might hate inviting all those kids to your party, but what if you didn't have to? Think of the feelings of the kid(s) you left out.  :P
but thats not how the real world functions...people dont do things because others might feel bad

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2006, 12:54:54 pm »
Is there something you want to tell us about your childhood, Mike?
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine