Author Topic: 40 percent of WoW players are addicted  (Read 4531 times)

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
40 percent of WoW players are addicted
« on: August 09, 2006, 09:12:43 pm »
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060809-7459.html

lol. I figure this'll get read when the server you guys play on goes down for maintenance. :P
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Joe

• B&
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
Re: 40 percent of WoW players are addicted
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006, 09:27:56 pm »
It went down last night. :).
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2006, 11:47:18 pm »
zomg, I'm addicted to teh intranet.

errr... something like that...

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2006, 01:00:43 am »
I am addicted to wow. :(

Offline ZeroX

• Pirating Your software since 1998
    • View Profile
    • Crap
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2006, 03:38:27 am »
I am sure addicted to the internet. I am not that very addicted to WoW. Its the best game out period right now hands down and I play it all the time. But I usally log off for about 6 hours and chat it up on Gaim or go to a movie with friends. Then its back to WoW =)
Zeroforce
Zeroforce
Zeroforce

mutsumibear: David's coming over Sunday so we can have mad sex all day.
zxdropoff: lucky you
mutsumibear: :D I know.
mutsumibear: I just pray I don't start my period before then.
zxdropoff: omfg
zxdropoff: stfu
zxdropoff: now please
mutsumibear: HAHA
mutsumibear: I love disturbing you.

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2006, 04:18:14 am »
I was addicted to WoW. I tried quitting once, but I came back. This time, I'm transferred onto a different server where I don't know anyone. I was in one of the top 30 guilds in the world, and realized I was going to be even more addicted. I then decided to make an ass of myself, to purposely not get invited back to the guild after I quit it. I'm planning on ebaying my account once the expansion comes out.

Anyways, last week I read a study that said WoW is twice as addicting as crack cocaine.
Hitmen: art is gay

Offline ZeroX

• Pirating Your software since 1998
    • View Profile
    • Crap
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2006, 08:50:08 am »
I was addicted to WoW. I tried quitting once, but I came back. This time, I'm transferred onto a different server where I don't know anyone. I was in one of the top 30 guilds in the world, and realized I was going to be even more addicted. I then decided to make an ass of myself, to purposely not get invited back to the guild after I quit it. I'm planning on ebaying my account once the expansion comes out.

Anyways, last week I read a study that said WoW is twice as addicting as crack cocaine.

Zeroforce
Zeroforce
Zeroforce

mutsumibear: David's coming over Sunday so we can have mad sex all day.
zxdropoff: lucky you
mutsumibear: :D I know.
mutsumibear: I just pray I don't start my period before then.
zxdropoff: omfg
zxdropoff: stfu
zxdropoff: now please
mutsumibear: HAHA
mutsumibear: I love disturbing you.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2006, 09:18:39 pm »

That's such a stupid statistic.  I've heard people colloquially say that "it's as addicting as crack," but it's nearly mind-numbing that someone would actually attempt to prove that.  I'd wager that there are factors of ten more people that spend more time watching TV than people that play WoW play the game.  How many people are they going to find that admit to being cocaine addicts?  I highly suspect that the study was horribly skewed at best.

That aside, WoW isn't directly mentally or physical altering... it's not a drug.  The negative side-effects entailed with WoW are totally self inflicted.  Sure, it is time-consuming, but that can absolutely be abolished if said person is decent at managing their time.  Cocaine alters the state of the mind and body in such a way that residual marks are left on the mind and body.

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2006, 03:26:47 am »
That's such a stupid statistic.  I've heard people colloquially say that "it's as addicting as crack," but it's nearly mind-numbing that someone would actually attempt to prove that.  I'd wager that there are factors of ten more people that spend more time watching TV than people that play WoW play the game.  How many people are they going to find that admit to being cocaine addicts?  I highly suspect that the study was horribly skewed at best.

That aside, WoW isn't directly mentally or physical altering... it's not a drug.  The negative side-effects entailed with WoW are totally self inflicted.  Sure, it is time-consuming, but that can absolutely be abolished if said person is decent at managing their time.  Cocaine alters the state of the mind and body in such a way that residual marks are left on the mind and body.
It's a simple mathmatic equation. You take the percentage of people addicted to WoW (estimation could work), and you take the percentage of people addicted to crack out of total users (most likely estimation as well). Maybe not exactly a study, but eh, it gives you a decent idea. Anyways, watching TV is entirely different. Watching TV when there's nothing else to do isn't being addicted. Playing WoW when there's much more things that should be done, that are higher in priority, is being addicted.

Also, loss of time is a much worse side-effect than you think. I've lost a good chunk of my guitar skills over the summer, when I actually should've gotten much better. You read the article of the guy losing his job. Sure, it's not AS bad as crack, yet it's still pretty damn bad. All the statistic is really trying to prove is that WoW is incredibly addictive.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2006, 03:51:43 am »
It's a simple mathmatic equation. You take the percentage of people addicted to WoW (estimation could work), and you take the percentage of people addicted to crack out of total users (most likely estimation as well). Maybe not exactly a study, but eh, it gives you a decent idea. Anyways, watching TV is entirely different. Watching TV when there's nothing else to do isn't being addicted. Playing WoW when there's much more things that should be done, that are higher in priority, is being addicted.

There are too many variables they leave in the experiment.  The only type of Cocaine addicts anyone is likely to find are the ones who have recovered or are on the way to recovery.  The ones who are still addicted to the drug probably aren't going to confess that they are.  Since being "addicted" to a video game is far more benine in nature than being addicted (or having been addicted) to a hardcore drug, far more people who play the game will admit to being "addicted."

So by your definition, all that constitutes "addiction" is continually reverting to some activity when there are more productive activities that one could participate in?  I don't think that's correct.

Addiction implies that there is a constant, physical need or urge to revert to said activity.

I don't see how watching TV is any different.  I personally know quite a few people who watch TV when there are much better things to be done.

Also, loss of time is a much worse side-effect than you think. I've lost a good chunk of my guitar skills over the summer, when I actually should've gotten much better. You read the article of the guy losing his job. Sure, it's not AS bad as crack, yet it's still pretty damn bad. All the statistic is really trying to prove is that WoW is incredibly addictive.

I must have came off incorrectly.  I'm fully aware of how negative pooly managing and prioritizing time can be.  That is not the issue here, though.  My point is that drugs tend to force people into becoming physically dependant, whereas WoW entices people to waste more time playing it: it's a purely benevolent charm enduced by the enjoyment it entails.

Again, I don't really think that WoW is "addictive."  I think it's enjoyable enough to make people want to come back to it, but I definitely don't think playing it causes a physical dependancy to develop in the minds of its players.

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2006, 04:56:12 am »
There are too many variables they leave in the experiment.  The only type of Cocaine addicts anyone is likely to find are the ones who have recovered or are on the way to recovery.  The ones who are still addicted to the drug probably aren't going to confess that they are.  Since being "addicted" to a video game is far more benine in nature than being addicted (or having been addicted) to a hardcore drug, far more people who play the game will admit to being "addicted."
I believe scientists can make educated guesses to the amount of people addicted to cocaine vs the amount of people who have used cocaine without becoming addicting. Of course it's not going to be 100% accurate, yet I believe it can be close
So by your definition, all that constitutes "addiction" is continually reverting to some activity when there are more productive activities that one could participate in?  I don't think that's correct.

Addiction implies that there is a constant, physical need or urge to revert to said activity.

I don't see how watching TV is any different.  I personally know quite a few people who watch TV when there are much better things to be done.
I meant the other activity being put off contiuously, when it's not like the person to do that. Often times that activity is something that's fun. A lot of people don't eat regularly anymore, they don't bathe regularly anymore, and they don't shave regularly anymore. People who watch TV and put things off, are usually just lazy, and are trying to temporarily get out of work. WoW can change people's habbits. What I was giving was just an example happens when you're addicted to something.
Anyways, you're thinking phsyical addiction. There's also a thing called mental addiction.

I must have came off incorrectly.  I'm fully aware of how negative pooly managing and prioritizing time can be.  That is not the issue here, though.  My point is that drugs tend to force people into becoming physically dependant, whereas WoW entices people to waste more time playing it: it's a purely benevolent charm enduced by the enjoyment it entails.
There's 2 differences between crack and WoW. Crack enduces a physical addiction, while WoW enduces an emotional addiction. An addiction, is an addiction. The second difference, is that WoW doesn't have effects that are as negative as crack (please note that this has nothing to do with our discussion, it was just a study trying to make a point that WoW can be incredibly addictive, not that it's as harmful as crack).
Again, I don't really think that WoW is "addictive."  I think it's enjoyable enough to make people want to come back to it, but I definitely don't think playing it causes a physical dependancy to develop in the minds of its players.
Once again, nobody ever said WoW causes a physical addiction, yet a mental addiction. I know it exists, because I've experienced it.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2006, 05:13:21 am »
I believe scientists can make educated guesses to the amount of people addicted to cocaine vs the amount of people who have used cocaine without becoming addicting. Of course it's not going to be 100% accurate, yet I believe it can be close

"Educated guesses" aren't statistics... they're guesses.  Scientists wouldn't be scientists if all they made were claims such as these.  This doesn't even follow half of the scientific procedure.  There is no empirical data.  If they don't have anything beyond a hypothesis, the conclusion is drawn on a guess, which makes the potential of inaccuracy hopelessly high.

I meant the other activity being put off contiuously, when it's not like the person to do that. Often times that activity is something that's fun. A lot of people don't eat regularly anymore, they don't bathe regularly anymore, and they don't shave regularly anymore. People who watch TV and put things off, are usually just lazy, and are trying to temporarily get out of work. WoW can change people's habbits. What I was giving was just an example happens when you're addicted to something.
Anyways, you're thinking phsyical addiction. There's also a thing called mental addiction.

The same thing happens with other activities that some people might consider fun.  I'm sure it's happened with sex, TV, driver programming, star trek and karate.  WoW simply gets this much negative attention because it's more widespread than any of the other things I've listed aside from sex and TV, which already get enough attention as it is... it blends into the world.  WoW is something new.  It is enjoyable... that's what's "addicting" about it.  Anything that brings enough joy to someone can be considered 'addicting.'

There's 2 differences between crack and WoW. Crack enduces a physical addiction, while WoW enduces an emotional addiction. An addiction, is an addiction.

WoW doesn't directly induce any sort of addiction.  It is enjoyable.  Most people find enjoyable things attractive, which is why players consistently return to WoW instead of more important tasks.

The second difference, is that WoW doesn't have effects that are as negative as crack (please note that this has nothing to do with our discussion, it was just a study trying to make a point that WoW can be incredibly addictive, not that it's as harmful as crack).

I know... ::)

Once again, nobody ever said WoW causes a physical addiction, yet a mental addiction. I know it exists, because I've experienced it.

You skip a step in thought when you say WoW is addictive.  No one plays WoW because they mentally feel that they need to.  They play it because they mentally feel that they need or strongly desire the entertainment it brings.  This is true of so many activities, and since this study is attempting to compare a chemical substance that induces physical and mental changes that develop dependencies on the people who use them to a single activity that provides little more than enjoyment, I would easily say that it's a useless study, which is what I already said.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2006, 05:14:55 am by Sidoh »

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2006, 06:06:07 am »
We could easily go back and fourth with this, like we have with certain things in the past, so I'm just going to do us both a favor and stop this pointless discussion. I'm not saying either of us are at fault, and I'm not trying to be the "bigger man", or any bullshit like that, I'm just trying to save us the time that would be wasted argueing about something, in which the outcome of the arguement most likely won't have any effect on our knowledge, or anyone else's knowledge.

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2006, 11:05:39 am »
IMO, WoW is so addictive because people ALLOW themselves to get addicted because of lack of harm WoW does to you directly. As sidoh said, its all self-inflicted.