Poll

Please READ THE POST FIRST

The XPS
2 (50%)
The Z61m
2 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Author Topic: New Laptop  (Read 8693 times)

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
Re: New Laptop
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2006, 09:01:13 pm »
It's your choice, really. I'd go with the IBM, personally. I have not had a problem with Dell though (I am using an Inspiron 8100 w/ FreeBSD 6.0 and it works 100% fine, the only problem is suspend but I don't suspend so it's not a problem. :)) so in reality there's no difference.

If you have to use Windows, that sucks. Why do you have to use Windows?

It's his preference  :-\  Although, whatever works.
An adorable giant isopod!

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2006, 09:03:45 pm »
If you are talking about his choice to use either Windows or Mac, he made it seem like he was being forced to use Windows or Macintrash, and he didn't give a reason why.

If you mean the choice in laptop, you are correct. :P
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2006, 11:14:41 pm »
It's a course requirement to use specific tools (like QCad, which has a whole section of class just for learning) which are available only on Windows or Mac.  The IT department also requires Windows or Mac for their own reasons which they didn't really explain -.-;;

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2006, 12:24:14 am »
It's a course requirement to use specific tools (like QCad, which has a whole section of class just for learning) which are available only on Windows or Mac.  The IT department also requires Windows or Mac for their own reasons which they didn't really explain -.-;;

Because a more universal network is easier to manage.

Offline Ender

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2006, 01:01:47 am »
The IT department also requires Windows or Mac for their own reasons which they didn't really explain -.-;;
They're commies, duh.

Offline RoMi

• x86
  • gg no re
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2006, 08:32:30 am »
If you haven't already check out the Latitude line of dell laptops.  They are made of metal and are built to a much higher dell quality.  Always check out the dell coupons, 15% off a $2000 purchase really adds up.  I for one recommend the IBM, because I only use IBM laptops.  Just bought a T43p, and it runs great.  Next year I'll be getting a new one for college.  I just like the overall build quality the IBM laptops are built to.  Oh if your planning on bringing this to class consider a 14" screen.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 08:34:31 am by RoMi »
-RoMi

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2006, 11:22:21 am »
Nothing less than 15" for me!

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2006, 11:55:03 am »
I think I'm going with the Z61m, though I'm going to call the guy (Drexel specific guy, aparently) and ask for Windows to be removed, the HD to be upped to 200gb, and a lojack.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2006, 01:36:10 pm »
A 200gb notebook harddrive? Damn. Didn't even know those existed. The biggest I've ever seen is 100gb. :(
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2006, 03:06:02 pm »
Really?  120gb are common.  Yes, 200gb.  It'll be expensive, but with Windows removed, it shouldn't be too big a difference.