Author Topic: The Bible - The Only Truth?  (Read 7334 times)

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
Re: The Bible - The Only Truth?
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2006, 12:23:34 am »
I'm going to have to read the book of Job.. that sounds interesting.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline skip

• mmk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2006, 02:15:39 am »
If we weren't supposed to see it through the eyes of a diety, why is it written and put into a book specifically meant to teach people?  If it weren't meant for man, why is it in a book FOR man?

The things that God has revealed to us is only the things that we absolutely need. How to recieve salvation. Nothing more, nothing less.

God doesn't need to explain to us why he does the things he does. He is God. He doesn't need to answer to us. I'm sure God has an explanation for everything he has done.

I'm really tired. If that doesn't make sense... sorry.... I want to sleep........ but..... MUST ENDURE.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2006, 02:52:20 am »
God is bound by his own laws because he promised not to change, and if he did he'd be a liar. We all know that wouldn't be good.

No... he's not.  He's a deity.  He's omnipotent.  He's not bound to anything.  The only thing that "ties" him to his own laws is his benevolence, which is a rather convoluted way to look at it.

Offline Explicit

• Hail Bender!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2006, 04:08:24 am »
God is bound by his own laws because he promised not to change, and if he did he'd be a liar. We all know that wouldn't be good.

No... he's not.  He's a deity.  He's omnipotent.  He's not bound to anything.  The only thing that "ties" him to his own laws is his benevolence, which is a rather convoluted way to look at it.

Agreed.
Like all things in life, pumping is just a primitive, degenerate form of bending.

Hey, I don't tell you how to tell me what to do, so don't tell me how to do what you tell me to do! ... Bender knows when to use finesse.

[13:41:45]<@Fapiko> Why is TehUser asking for wang pictures?
[13:42:03]<@TehUser> I wasn't asking for wang pictures, I was looking at them.
[13:47:40]<@TehUser> Mine's fairly short.

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2006, 07:38:19 am »
Well, he created his laws so those who followed them would be doing good things. Being benevolent, he must do good things as well, so he's kind of tied to his own laws. Not that he has the specific laws that he laid down that he has to follow, but in the same idea that they were created so their followers would do good, God also does good and doesn't break those laws. I think that's what Sidoh just said but oh well.

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2006, 08:38:00 am »
If we weren't supposed to see it through the eyes of a diety, why is it written and put into a book specifically meant to teach people?  If it weren't meant for man, why is it in a book FOR man?

The things that God has revealed to us is only the things that we absolutely need. How to recieve salvation. Nothing more, nothing less.

God doesn't need to explain to us why he does the things he does. He is God. He doesn't need to answer to us. I'm sure God has an explanation for everything he has done.

I'm really tired. If that doesn't make sense... sorry.... I want to sleep........ but..... MUST ENDURE.
So you're saying 98% of the Bible is fluff?

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2006, 12:30:44 pm »
Well, he created his laws so those who followed them would be doing good things. Being benevolent, he must do good things as well, so he's kind of tied to his own laws. Not that he has the specific laws that he laid down that he has to follow, but in the same idea that they were created so their followers would do good, God also does good and doesn't break those laws. I think that's what Sidoh just said but oh well.

The only thing that "ties" him to his own laws is his benevolence, which is a rather convoluted way to look at it.

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2006, 01:34:08 pm »

The only thing that "ties" him to his own laws is his benevolence, which is a rather convoluted way to look at it.

:)

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2006, 02:15:52 pm »
I recognize that you identified your repetition, but you failed to see why I said it was a bad way of looking at binding, which is exactly why I said it was a convoluted way to look at it.

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2006, 01:35:12 pm »
:).