Author Topic: Rolla!  (Read 4126 times)

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
Rolla!
« on: September 14, 2006, 12:59:56 am »
Tell me about it!  As you know I almost went there myself, so while I know everything they tell you to recruit you, I don't have the advantage of the perspective of a new student.  Since I'm still considering it for my graduate degree, what do you think?

Teachers:  understandable? ta's speak (real) english? do they go too fast? too slow?

Curriculum: How hard does it look to be? Are the curriculums pretty generic or well thought out and specialized for each major?  Do you actually learn anything in the classes (might not apply as a freshman :))

Campus Life:  How does the atmosphere feel in general, is the Student Union actively providing lots of fun activities? Interesting lectures/visitors? Campus sponsored events? Are the clubs generally too crowded/vacant?

Partying: mostly bar atmosphere? house parties? greek-oriented?

Just wondering :)

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
Re: Rolla!
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 09:50:25 am »
Rolla?  What?

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2006, 10:09:49 am »
University of Missouri at Rolla (UMR) commonly referred to as just Rolla.

Brandon is a Freshman at Rolla.  I almost went to Rolla but changed my mind at the last minute when they jacked up tuition right before the school year started. 

All clear? :)

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2006, 01:25:13 pm »
Tell me about it!  As you know I almost went there myself, so while I know everything they tell you to recruit you, I don't have the advantage of the perspective of a new student.  Since I'm still considering it for my graduate degree, what do you think?
So far I like it.  I have never spent a weekend on campus, so I am not sure what it's like without classes to go to, but there are usually school events going on so it can't be horribly boring.  The campus is small and I like that alot (you have seen the campus, correct?). The people here are generally friendly and so are the teachers.

Teachers:  understandable? ta's speak (real) english? do they go too fast? too slow?
I so far haven't heard/ran into a teacher that doesn't speak understandable english, but that doesn't mean there aren't any.  From what I can see, the class is usually taught at a pretty fast speed, but it's not to terribly fast that it's hard to keep up, but at a good speed to learn things and to get things done in a reasonable amount of time.  The teachers seem to actually care about giving us a good education.

Curriculum: How hard does it look to be? Are the curriculums pretty generic or well thought out and specialized for each major?  Do you actually learn anything in the classes (might not apply as a freshman Smiley)
Well, I don't know if the curriculum is generic or not.  This is my first college experince.  But, if I would have to make a guess based off of what I have seen and experinced, I would say that the curriculum is specialized for the specific major.  And yes, I have learned alot in my classes so far. 

Campus Life:  How does the atmosphere feel in general, is the Student Union actively providing lots of fun activities? Interesting lectures/visitors? Campus sponsored events? Are the clubs generally too crowded/vacant?
I really like the atmosphere.  It's pretty nice.  The Student Union, or whatever it's called, is doing a pretty good job of providing activies for people to take part in.  I believe they have something, maybe not a fun something, but definetly something going on every day.  Like last night was Capture The Flag night. 

The lectures are only interesting if you like the topic.  In my Computer Science class, I really enjoy just learning about programming, so I find everything in there interesting.  But in my math class I feel like I want to die every time I go in there.

The only visitors I have seen have been in my CS1 class.  In that class all we do is have speakers come, either campus faculty that are in the Computer Science department, or other people from companies.  Like last week (it's a once a week class) someone from CAT (Catipillar) came and spoke to us.  He had alot of interesting things to say.  Even if he was trying to scare us. 

I am only in one "club" on campus and that is StuCo.  Seeing that it consists of representatives from every club, hall floor, greek house, etc, it is pretty large.  Other than that, I haven't been to any other clubs.  I would expect them to be small or atleast medium sized due to the fact that UMR is a small campus.

Partying: mostly bar atmosphere? house parties? greek-oriented?
I have never been a huge party person, but my room mate is.  And the marjority of parties that I have heard of are greek-oriented parties that are hard to get into.  The other type of parties are house parties, but I have heard only little about them.
The once grove of splendor,
Aforetime crowned by lilac and lily,
Lay now forevermore slender;
And all winds that liven
Silhouette a lone existence;
A leafless oak grasping at eternity.

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2006, 02:36:11 am »
Why haven't you spent a weekend on campus?  IMO you won't make many friends if you leave all the time!

All understandable teachers AND ta's for freshman level classes? Impressive.

I suppose I can answer the curriculum question for myself, I just have to dig around their website.  You can kinda get a feel for it though by just observing what types of students are in your classes.

By lectures I meant university sponsored, free for student, public speaking lectures from notable persons.  IE we had President Bush come talk to us last spring and generally have at least one interesting speaker every 3 weeks.  Topics vary and they are always packed.

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2006, 11:09:25 am »
Why haven't you spent a weekend on campus?  IMO you won't make many friends if you leave all the time!

All understandable teachers AND ta's for freshman level classes? Impressive.

I suppose I can answer the curriculum question for myself, I just have to dig around their website.  You can kinda get a feel for it though by just observing what types of students are in your classes.

By lectures I meant university sponsored, free for student, public speaking lectures from notable persons.  IE we had President Bush come talk to us last spring and generally have at least one interesting speaker every 3 weeks.  Topics vary and they are always packed.
Juust keep in mind that I am sure there are teachers and ta's that don't speak very understandable english that I have not heard of/talk to yet.

The reason I haven't stayed a weekend on campus is because every weekend I have had to go home and get something that I have forgotten.  And this last weekend I went up to MU to visit my friends there.  So this weekend I plan on staying on campus.
The once grove of splendor,
Aforetime crowned by lilac and lily,
Lay now forevermore slender;
And all winds that liven
Silhouette a lone existence;
A leafless oak grasping at eternity.

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2006, 12:26:19 pm »
There always are, but they generally stick them in the lower level classes.