Author Topic: College  (Read 12185 times)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Re: College
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2006, 03:37:09 pm »
Yes, definitely.  But it depends on the type of knowledge you want.  Isn't MIT a technical school?  What if somebody doesn't want a technical education?

MIT is a university; it isn't a tech school.  A "technical school" is something like ITT Tech.

MIT is renowned for its excellence in all/most fields of engineering, but it has exceptional programs in other areas.  Most of the professors are Nobel Prize laureates.
So if you wanted to do religious studies/philosophy/archeology or something like that, wouldn't you be better off going to a school that specializes in your chosen field, not in engineering?

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2006, 03:46:52 pm »
So if you wanted to do religious studies/philosophy/archeology or something like that, wouldn't you be better off going to a school that specializes in your chosen field, not in engineering?

Chances are, if you applied to MIT and got accepted with a fully paid scholarship, you excel in fields that the school is interested in, ie engineering.  I'm not saying MIT is the best choice for every field of study, but I am saying anyone who is accepted with such a scholarship and denies it to go to some bible college is probably lying.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2006, 03:57:09 pm »

Chances are, if you applied to MIT and got accepted with a fully paid scholarship, you excel in fields that the school is interested in, ie engineering.  I'm not saying MIT is the best choice for every field of study, but I am saying anyone who is accepted with such a scholarship and denies it to go to some bible college is probably lying.

I admit that applying for MIT and then going somewhere else would be weird, for sure.  But it's fully possible that somebody, though they excel in the fields that MIT is looking for, isn't interested in pursuing them professionally. 

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2006, 04:45:18 pm »
I admit that applying for MIT and then going somewhere else would be weird, for sure.  But it's fully possible that somebody, though they excel in the fields that MIT is looking for, isn't interested in pursuing them professionally. 

Yes, it's possible.  It's extremley unlikely, though.  For that reason, I choose to believe Joe's friend is a liar. :)

Offline d&q

• I'm here.
    • View Profile
    • Site
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2006, 02:40:58 pm »
Why waste the $50 application fee in the first place? You can't exactly get any better than a 100% scholarship, so I think its unlikely that he wastef his money on applying if he was so sure he would not go.
The writ of the founders must endure.