Author Topic: Miniature (model!) Painting  (Read 7785 times)

Offline Explicit

• Hail Bender!
    • View Profile
Re: Miniature (model!) Painting
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2006, 02:53:45 pm »
The miniatures look awesome.
Like all things in life, pumping is just a primitive, degenerate form of bending.

Hey, I don't tell you how to tell me what to do, so don't tell me how to do what you tell me to do! ... Bender knows when to use finesse.

[13:41:45]<@Fapiko> Why is TehUser asking for wang pictures?
[13:42:03]<@TehUser> I wasn't asking for wang pictures, I was looking at them.
[13:47:40]<@TehUser> Mine's fairly short.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2006, 04:31:19 pm »
They are combat heavy. Being a D&D player and a DM, I can safely say all my campaigns were heavily aimed towards logic and such, but every campaign I have played has served to the lowest common denominator, and were very combat oriented. Basic hack and slash campaigns if you will.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2006, 04:49:14 pm »
Yeah, and I think that miniatures tend to encourage the hack-and-slash aspects too much, which is why I've decided not to allow miniatures in any game I run. 

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2006, 04:49:31 pm »
The miniatures look awesome.
Thanks! :-)

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2006, 05:48:22 pm »
When I play RPGs, we try not to focus on combat.  Instead of knowing where every rock is, we can ask the GM "is there a rock somewhere that I can hide behind?" and if he says yes we hide there.

I find that games flow a lot better when we don't have to worry about drawing out maps and preparing encounters.  Just do everything on the fly. 

Generally, when we play, we are sitting on recliners and a couch or whatever, with a clipboard and some dice.  The GM describes stuff, I write down notes as applicable, and we tell him what we're doing.  I've tried playing with minis before, and I find that the game ends up focussed way too strongly on the minis than on the game itself. 

I think that a lot of D&D games are combat-heavy, though, from what I've seen.  I personally don't like that, but eh?

The miniatures constitute the game... if you're focusing on them, you're focusing on the game.

I like combat.  It's almost always brings about the most interesting stories when we RP.  For example, a few days ago, someone killed a guy with a candle obra when we'd been trying to kill it with some bio missles.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2006, 05:55:02 pm »
When the entire story is revolving around straight up killing, it gets old fast.

i.e. my friend Mike did a quest (aimed at the attention span of the mass of the group of course) where we had to enter 4 buildings, climb to the top of each one (killing), and kill the bosses in each one. I only got to clear two buildings, but they were basically the same, and if there was any story after IIRC I missed it.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2006, 05:59:59 pm »
When the entire story is revolving around straight up killing, it gets old fast.

That is never the case.  My boss worked for TSR (the company who originally owned/created D&D) as a game developer.  He also GM'd the British open D&D tournament... he's very good at making the game fun. :P

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2006, 07:16:55 pm »
Hmm, my experiences have been the other way.  I find that having a lot of fighting tends to make the game tedious and boring.  Part of that is because we play Shadowrun where combat can be a little slow. 

But even so, in games with quick combat, I still have more fun when I avoid combat.  We'll spend hours planning a mission, scoping it out, and getting prepared, which usually means that any combat is quick and usually pretty one-sided, since that's how we planned it :)

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2006, 09:03:21 pm »
I've always wanted to paly SR, but nobody close to me plays :'(
Anyway, I'm a fan of "you're going to die now because I planned it out last week that way!  MUAHAH!!!! *slits throat easily*" more than "ofuckanenemy*rolls dice*shitidied".  Hm.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2006, 10:59:09 pm »
I'm more of a fan of the, "What do you do?" strategy.  The GM has a vague idea of here he wants to go, and a decent idea of what the world is like, and everything else looks after itself. :)

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2006, 12:37:41 am »
Hmm, my experiences have been the other way.  I find that having a lot of fighting tends to make the game tedious and boring.  Part of that is because we play Shadowrun where combat can be a little slow. 

But even so, in games with quick combat, I still have more fun when I avoid combat.  We'll spend hours planning a mission, scoping it out, and getting prepared, which usually means that any combat is quick and usually pretty one-sided, since that's how we planned it :)

I never said that the RP sessions had excessive fighting or at all revolved around it.  They always revolve around the story.  Combats may be spawns of the story (ie a battle where you're supposed to lose) or they may be totally arbitrary.

I asked my boss about playing with miniatures and what he thought about doing them without.  He said he loves using miniatures because it gives the players an elaborate picture of where the party is positioned and what resources they have to expend without questions that annoyingly and persistently eat up game time.  It constantly reminds them of places they can go when time is of the essence and gives them a much better mental image of where they are allowed to go depending on the physical state of the room.  I realize that these questions will exist with nearly any model of role playing, but this abolishes simple questions about the general structure of the room and leaves more time for actual gameplay.

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2006, 01:34:34 am »
Where did you get the snake?
Well, at least you read my comments and all :)

Well, it's the least I could do after you took the time to take the photos, upload them, and then write out the descriptions.  One of my friends James paints them and plays Warhammer.  I have an elderly friend named Dave who has several thousand early war models fully painted and displayed nicely.

Oh, and very nice job painting.  :)
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2006, 08:27:56 am »
I asked my boss about playing with miniatures and what he thought about doing them without.  He said he loves using miniatures because it gives the players an elaborate picture of where the party is positioned and what resources they have to expend without questions that annoyingly and persistently eat up game time.  It constantly reminds them of places they can go when time is of the essence and gives them a much better mental image of where they are allowed to go depending on the physical state of the room.  I realize that these questions will exist with nearly any model of role playing, but this abolishes simple questions about the general structure of the room and leaves more time for actual gameplay.
Hah, I'd say almost the identical thing about playing without miniatures. 

I find it more annoying and repetitive to prepare/draw a map for every encounter.  I find that maps start looking the same.  I'd rather let players ask me questions about their surroundings and tell me what they want.  At the very most, I'll sketch out a little map on paper, but that's very rare. 

I find that players get a better mental idea from asking questions than from looking at a map. 

I really find that overusing maps makes RPGs too much like computer games, but like I said, that's my opinion. 

I don't like using miniatures.  I prefer a GM who's good at not using miniatures to a GM that's good at using miniatures.  You should try it :P

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2006, 01:43:00 pm »
Like I said, my boss is very good at doing it both ways, but he perfers using miniatures.

I already said this here, but he worked for TSR and GM'd the open british D&D tournament.  He's a very competent GM. ;)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2006, 02:00:16 pm »
Yeah, I'm afraid that I don't have a whole lot of respect for T$R :P