Author Topic: Job!~  (Read 6145 times)

Offline skip

• mmk
    • View Profile
Job!~
« on: August 14, 2006, 08:40:58 pm »
I'm 15 years old.

Is it possible for me to get a decent job? I really don't want to work at grocery stores or fast food joints and nor do I want to be getting anything close to minimum wage (anything above $7 I would love), lol.

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
Re: Job!~
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 08:43:13 pm »
Doubtful.

I got a job when I was 16 at the local library doing collections maintenance and circulation tasks.  Started at $6.55 and moved to $7.29 while I was there.  But they required I be 16.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 08:50:10 pm »
When you're that age, you can't be picky.  Do whatever you can get for whatever you can get.  Once you have a job under your belt, you can move on to bigger and better things, but you need to get that first crappy job, first. 

Plus, everybody should know what it's like to bust your ass for 40 hours/week to end up with $500/paycheck, it helps you appreciate getting a real job. 

Offline Furious

• I hate rabbits
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 08:55:01 pm »
Grocery stores are slack jobs, I now make $11.42/hr working at a grocery store.  It's all about motivation and determination,  you need to show your superiors that you are capable of doing more.
[23:04:34] <deadly7[x86]> Newby[x86]
[23:04:35] <deadly7[x86]> YOU ARE AN EMO
[23:04:39] <Newby[x86]> shush it woman

[17:53:31] InsaneJoey[e2] was banned by x86 (GO EAT A BAG OF FUCK ASSHOLE (randomban)).

Quote from: Ergot
Put it this way Joe... you're on my Buddy List... if there's no one else on an you're the only one, I'd rather talk to myself.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006, 08:57:05 pm »
Doubtful. Get a job as a busser at a restaurant. It's simple work, and you make tips on top of your paycheck.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2006, 09:04:53 pm »
Grocery stores are slack jobs, I now make $11.42/hr working at a grocery store.  It's all about motivation and determination,  you need to show your superiors that you are capable of doing more.
That's true.  I started at $7, then went to nights where I made $1.65 extra, so I was making $8.65 by my second week.  After a couple months, I was doing $10.50/hour and, because I worked hard everybody I worked with liked me, and I was friends with most of the people I worked with, and I still keep in touch with them. 

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2006, 09:08:42 pm »
I'm 15 years old.

Is it possible for me to get a decent job? I really don't want to work at grocery stores or fast food joints and nor do I want to be getting anything close to minimum wage (anything above $7 I would love), lol.

My advice, wait until your 16. Then you can get one of the most slacking yet well paying jobs ever: slide attendant at a waterpark. Ok, ok.. not everyone lives by Wisconsin Dells, but whatever.

Currently I mow my yard for some random cash (don't flame me for getting paid, thxkbai) and an (adult) friend from church is gonna hook up with me some time this week to dig a huge hole in his yard to put a basement door in. He owns his own electrician business thingy so I may be able to get a semi-decent paying job pulling cables through a wall, etc. Connections, man. Get in on the jobs where you don't go in, say "can I have an application", fill it in, and pray. :)
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline skip

• mmk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2006, 09:16:55 pm »
That's true.  I started at $7, then went to nights where I made $1.65 extra, so I was making $8.65 by my second week.  After a couple months, I was doing $10.50/hour and, because I worked hard everybody I worked with liked me, and I was friends with most of the people I worked with, and I still keep in touch with them. 

What did you guys do?

If I did go after a job @ a grocery store, I'll most likely get bagger and/or shopping cart collecter person, right?
I think I'll try and get a job at a grocery store. Grocery Stores > Fast Food. lol.

Doubtful. Get a job as a busser at a restaurant. It's simple work, and you make tips on top of your paycheck.

I thought you couldn't be a busser until you were atleast 16?

I'm 15 years old.

My advice, wait until your 16. Then you can get one of the most slacking yet well paying jobs ever: slide attendant at a waterpark. Ok, ok.. not everyone lives by Wisconsin Dells, but whatever.

Currently I mow my yard for some random cash (don't flame me for getting paid, thxkbai) and an (adult) friend from church is gonna hook up with me some time this week to dig a huge hole in his yard to put a basement door in. He owns his own electrician business thingy so I may be able to get a semi-decent paying job pulling cables through a wall, etc. Connections, man. Get in on the jobs where you don't go in, say "can I have an application", fill it in, and pray. :)

I need money... now. I can't wait another year (my birthday is in July).

Yeah, I do odd jobs here and there. Baby sit for cousins & for parent's friends, Mow lawns for parents... but that doesn't get me much money, lol.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2006, 09:26:33 pm »
I'm 16. So eh?
- Newby

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline skip

• mmk
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2006, 09:45:01 pm »
Oh crap, I just remembered something. I have retail fraud (l-o-n-g story, wasn't really my fault. kind of, kind of not) thing on my record.

Will they reject me because of that?

edit: it'll be off my record when I turn 16 or 18, I don't remember. It was quite a long time ago.

Offline Kaleeko

• Female Nerdz0r
  • Just let him in the fridge already!
    • View Profile
    • Kaleeko's DeviantART
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2006, 09:55:32 pm »
First, I'm going to state my old Chemistry teacher's advice, simply because he's said it so many times, it might be worth repeating!

Once you leave high school, you will spend a majority of the rest of your life working. Use what little time you have at the beginning of your life to not work, since it's only going to consume time from your school studies and valuable social life.

I personally didn't follow the advice. I started working at 14/15, at a coffee shop. Fun job, I did didly-squat, worked 10-11 hour days doing hardly anything at $6 an hour. Free coffee, free money, pretty much. Great job.

Then I worked at Subway for a year. Probably one of the better chains to work at, but seriously, I never want to go back into the food industry ever again.

I just got hired at a flower shop, though. (17 now.) $7.75 an hour, 8 hour work day, but pleasant enough.

If I were you, I'd wait until I was 16, just to make finding a job a little easier, since there are many places out there that won't hire unless you're  16 or above. Might be a better option to finding a possibly better job.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2006, 10:19:00 pm »
Once you leave high school, you will spend a majority of the rest of your life working. Use what little time you have at the beginning of your life to not work, since it's only going to consume time from your school studies and valuable social life.

"The 4 years you spend in high school determine what college you to go, and the years you spend in college determine how you spend the next 50 years of your life working."

That statement could not be more true. I don't plan to work until AFTER (or possibly during) college. If my dad expects me to take care of him when he retires, I expect to be taken care of while I work to get a job that can afford that.
- Newby

Offline RoMi

• x86
  • gg no re
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2006, 10:45:47 pm »
Or you could get my job and steal wifi all day, and chat on AIM. minigolf ftw.  I make $10/hr but with Mass taxes, and our new "free" health care it comes out to be about $8.50/hr in the end. 
-RoMi

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2006, 06:20:30 am »
Or you could get my job and steal wifi all day, and chat on AIM. minigolf ftw.  I make $10/hr but with Mass taxes, and our new "free" health care it comes out to be about $8.50/hr in the end. 

Still, that's not bad.  I get paid $13.59/hr, but probably that comes back to about $10.50.  If I move up to PC Tech II, at $18 something, I'll probably get about $14 of that per hour.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2006, 08:22:01 am »
I make a salary of $38,000/year.  After taxes, I clear $1177/paycheck which works out to $30600 or so.