Author Topic: Suggestion?  (Read 4669 times)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Suggestion?
« on: August 18, 2006, 02:13:22 pm »
I'd like to merge this forum with the "ROFL" forum, and maybe rename it to "humor and jokes" or something.  Anybody opposted to that?  Or can anybody suggest a better name?

Offline rabbit

• I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestion?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 02:21:01 pm »
I object simply to be the devil's advocate, though I don't actually have a reason.

Offline Ender

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006, 02:22:42 pm »
Can the Homework and Academic forum take on the role of puzzles and problems? Like renaming it to Homework/Academic Discussion & Challenges or something? I know that "problems" is included in "academic discussion" but it doesn't seem to be emphasized so much.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2006, 03:52:49 pm »
Can the Homework and Academic forum take on the role of puzzles and problems? Like renaming it to Homework/Academic Discussion & Challenges or something? I know that "problems" is included in "academic discussion" but it doesn't seem to be emphasized so much.

I don't think so.  I was never very supportive of the Academic forum anyway.  It's supposed to be for questions and things of that nature related to homework.

Offline Ender

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2006, 05:11:30 pm »
We need a place to post non-computer-related puzzles and problems though! :D

Maybe renaming this to Riddles/Puzzles/Problems and moving all the jokes to ROFLCOPTER?

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006, 05:31:22 pm »
But see, I don't think there ARE enough non-computer-related puzzles and problems to have their own forum.  My proof is the total lack of traffic in this forum. 

Offline Ender

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2006, 07:01:24 pm »
But see, I don't think there ARE enough non-computer-related puzzles and problems to have their own forum. 

I can change that :D

Anywho, iago if you get rid of this forum, then I will be boycotting Slackware, people named ron, whatever obscure shakespeare book you got your name from, and even i386. Well, I'm not so sure about the last one.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2006, 11:59:27 pm by Ender »

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2006, 12:28:58 am »
I oppose. ROFLCOPTER is for really funny links, and this is for jokes / riddles. The Academic forum is for homework questions, and General is for everything else (mostly current events, both in the world and in our lives).
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline rabbit

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2006, 09:20:13 am »
Lets' get rid of fourms.  We should just have 1 and it shloud be namde "THE MELETING POT" and all posts go there adn i git to Adnim it.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2006, 04:59:54 pm »
I'd like to merge this forum with the "ROFL" forum, and maybe rename it to "humor and jokes" or something.  Anybody opposted to that?  Or can anybody suggest a better name?

I wanted to do this a while ago.

I say we merge & rename it to "Humor Hotel" (kinda like Media Motel, but cooler, since I coined the name). Thoughts?
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline rabbit

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2006, 05:09:50 pm »
Doooo it.....doit!

(do it)

Offline Ender

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2006, 05:41:27 pm »
My threat still stands.

Humor Hotel is a good idea ^^ I love the name. But we do need a non-computer-related problem-solving forum!

Offline Quik

• Webmaster Guy
  • x86
  • \x51 \x75 \x69 \x6B \x5B \x78 \x38 \x36 \x5D
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2006, 05:49:13 pm »
Lets' get rid of fourms.  We should just have 1 and it shloud be namde "THE MELETING POT" and all posts go there adn i git to Adnim it.

Am I the only one who saw grammar and spelling deteriorating in this post?

Anyway, I think it's fine as it is, but if it's bugging you since you think it's a waste of space, move it. The academic forum doesn't get much traffic either, but if people want it then that's fine.
[20:21:13] xar: i was just thinking about the time iago came over here and we made this huge bomb and light up the sky for 6 min
[20:21:15] xar: that was funny

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2006, 07:39:48 am »
Amen to Quik: "What's wrong with the way it is?"

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2006, 01:29:54 pm »
Anywho, iago if you get rid of this forum, then I will be boycotting Slackware, people named ron, whatever obscure shakespeare book you got your name from, and even i386. Well, I'm not so sure about the last one.
Stop trying to encourage me. :P

Anyway, I think it's fine as it is, but if it's bugging you since you think it's a waste of space, move it. The academic forum doesn't get much traffic either, but if people want it then that's fine.
The 'academic forum' was going to be my next target.  I was thinking of suggesting broadening the scope of it to include anything related to school, for the same reason as this forum.  But that's going to be later, if I feel like it :)

Anyways, I think I may have said it before, but I'll say it again: jokes, puzzles, and such all sort of fit under the same category, 'fun' or 'entertainment'.  This forum gets so little traffic that it makes sense to merge it with another, and broaden the scope of the other a little bit. 

And Newby -- your name sucks.  I'd call it, 'Fun & Games'. 

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2006, 02:29:53 pm »
And Newby -- your name sucks.  I'd call it, 'Fun & Games'. 

How about "The Carnival" for a name? It implies fun and games, and doesn't flat out say it! It's perfect!

Plus it reminds me of Baldur's Gate 1 when I killed this "exploding giant" in Chapter 2 at an outdoor carnival.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2006, 10:39:13 pm »
Fun & Games sucks. :P

Humour Hotel > The Carnival > Fun & Games

Better make the new forum quickly, iago, before someone else does and uses American spelling.  :o

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2006, 11:31:16 pm »
Better make the new forum quickly, iago, before someone else does and uses American spelling.

::)

:-*

Offline rabbit

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2006, 11:43:41 pm »
Humour
Stupid not American.  A "u" has no place there!

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2006, 01:15:32 pm »
Personally, I'd spell it Humour, along with metre, litre, calibre, and colour, because all English dialects except EN-US (sorry for using technical names here, but whatever) use those spellings (if I understand correctly). Sure, American's outnumber Canadians, Brits, and Aussies combined on these forums, but that's not the point!!

Offline rabbit

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2006, 01:51:07 pm »
Yes it is the point.  Besides, saying you'd rather be unAmerican basically says "Hey!  Republicans!  I'm a terrorist!".  BRB, calling 911.