Author Topic: The Bible - The Only Truth?  (Read 7391 times)

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
The Bible - The Only Truth?
« on: August 19, 2006, 07:17:56 am »
I'm interested in everyone's opinion on the bible. In my church, the bible is reguarded as the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. If someone says something, and the bible says the opposite, he's just plain wrong, and all our sermon's come from the bible, with each "point" referring to a verse. However, some verses, specifically 1 Corinthians 14:33b-35 make me question wether or not that's such a great idea.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
Re: The Bible - The Only Truth?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2006, 09:21:44 am »
Doesn't the Bible say that gambling and murder are wrong, officially, somewhere?  (Seriously)

Offline skip

• mmk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2006, 10:10:33 am »
Doesn't the Bible say that gambling and murder are wrong, officially, somewhere?  (Seriously)

Yes, the 10 commandments says murder is wrong. But gambling, on the other hand, does not. However, once it becomes an obsession, then it becomes a sin. For it says in the 10 commandments: Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

I'm interested in everyone's opinion on the bible. In my church, the bible is reguarded as the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. If someone says something, and the bible says the opposite, he's just plain wrong, and all our sermon's come from the bible, with each "point" referring to a verse. However, some verses, specifically 1 Corinthians 14:33b-35 make me question wether or not that's such a great idea.

OH MAN. My pastor preached on that EXACT verse one Sunday. But, unfortunately... my memory sucks. Sorry, lol. But all I know is, that The Bible is the only truth, regarding religion.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2006, 10:12:34 am by skip »

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2006, 10:15:07 am »
Well then God is a hypocrit (I know I can't spell).  See: Book of Job

Offline skip

• mmk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2006, 10:30:29 am »

More specifically?  :)

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2006, 12:47:12 pm »

Why should god be bound to his own laws?  He's a deity.  He can do what he wants.  One of his fundamental traits is benevolence.  Everything he does is for an innocent reason.

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2006, 01:51:24 pm »

Why should god be bound to his own laws?  He's a deity.  He can do what he wants.  One of his fundamental traits is benevolence.  Everything he does is for an innocent reason.
What if he were to smite your roommate? Would the benevolent reasoning behind that be Him trying to give you more room?  :P
errr... something like that...

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2006, 02:19:24 pm »
What if he were to smite your roommate? Would the benevolent reasoning behind that be Him trying to give you more room?  :P

Precisely.

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2006, 03:02:08 pm »

What he did to Job was a bullshit reason:

Satan: Hey, God, I bet if you fuck with Job, kill his family, destroy his livelihood, and demolish his home he won't pray to you anymore!
God: You're on!
* Job get's royally fucked
Satan: HAH!  I win :D

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2006, 03:11:54 pm »

Satan: Hey, God, I bet if you fuck with Job, kill his family, destroy his livelihood, and demolish his home he won't pray to you anymore!

How can you claim to see through the eyes of the deity?  Are you capable of tracing every possible reaction and result that this set of decisions spawned?

Offline skip

• mmk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2006, 06:23:42 pm »

God did that to test Job's faithfulness. And, obviously, Job continued to stay faithful throughout everything he went through. For is says in The Bible:
Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance.
James 1:2-3

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2006, 08:40:16 pm »
God is bound by his own laws because he promised not to change, and if he did he'd be a liar. We all know that wouldn't be good.

Also, as skip said, he was testing Job, in the same way he told Isaac to sacrafice his son (was it Isaac?) to see if he feared God.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2006, 09:14:06 pm »
God told Abraham to sacrifice Isaac.  Anyway, God is setting a bad example for "thou shalt not kill" by killing Job's ENTIRE FAMILY just to say "hey, good job Job [no pun intended] you remained faithful to me even while I completely ruined your entire life.  O, and by the way, I wouldn't have done it, except Satan dared me."  What.  The.  Fuck.

Offline skip

• mmk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2006, 09:28:00 pm »
God told Abraham to sacrifice Isaac.  Anyway, God is setting a bad example for "thou shalt not kill" by killing Job's ENTIRE FAMILY just to say "hey, good job Job [no pun intended] you remained faithful to me even while I completely ruined your entire life.  O, and by the way, I wouldn't have done it, except Satan dared me."  What.  The.  Fuck.

As Sidoh said, how can you claim to see through the eyes of a deity? Our finite minds cannot even come close to ponder what goes on inside of an infinite mind.

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2006, 11:13:38 pm »
If we weren't supposed to see it through the eyes of a diety, why is it written and put into a book specifically meant to teach people?  If it weren't meant for man, why is it in a book FOR man?