Author Topic: Vista 5536 Pre-RC1 Review  (Read 9277 times)

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
Re: Vista 5536 Pre-RC1 Review
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2006, 12:55:21 pm »
Remove all the internals and replace them.  Same thing.
At what cost?  You actually have to replace the motherboard.  I had an ATI chip go bad on a T40, they did exactly that.  Luckily the warranty covered it :)

I guess Microsoft isn't that terrible since they made a version of Vista available for systems without the video capability, however, the premium would require the complete replacement of laptops without the video capability.

I see your point, it's the same issue for most new things though. Take for example if Linux ever gets a Stable  3D accelerated desktop, how many laptop users with small amounts of internal video ram will be able to run it? I'd say it's more of a problem with the Laptop than the OS.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2006, 01:22:50 pm »
Remove all the internals and replace them.  Same thing.
At what cost?  You actually have to replace the motherboard.  I had an ATI chip go bad on a T40, they did exactly that.  Luckily the warranty covered it :)

I guess Microsoft isn't that terrible since they made a version of Vista available for systems without the video capability, however, the premium would require the complete replacement of laptops without the video capability.

I see your point, it's the same issue for most new things though. Take for example if Linux ever gets a Stable  3D accelerated desktop, how many laptop users with small amounts of internal video ram will be able to run it? I'd say it's more of a problem with the Laptop than the OS.

Well, when you talk about desktop in Unix, it's no longer the OS's responsibility - Don't care if its IRIX, BSD, Linux, AIX.  It really depends what X can do, what X will implement, and what desktop environments/window managers will take advantage of.  Usually X tries to do handle things on the software level if the hardware features don't exist or are lacking.

http://wiki.x.org/wiki/X11R71Release
« Last Edit: August 28, 2006, 01:24:39 pm by nslay »
An adorable giant isopod!

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2006, 02:51:47 pm »
Yea, it compares to the same thing DWM does (Since it handles Compositing and 3D Accel), I think Microsoft  doesn't bother with Software accelerated 3D because it'd be an unpleasant experience and show Vista in a way they don't want.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling