Author Topic: Routing Audio?  (Read 2475 times)

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
Routing Audio?
« on: August 31, 2006, 11:40:59 am »
I recently installed Slackware 10.2 on my laptop.  I installed the newest version of ALSA, specifying intel8x0 as my card.  It works fine, but I'm wanting to mute the speakers when it detects that headphones are plugged into the headphone jack on the side.  I found a few things on enabling 5.1 sound (and I'm guessing what I want to do is fairly similar), which involved editing ~/.asoundrc, but I didn't find anything showing how to do that specifically.  The only outputs in alsamixer are Master (which effects both the speakers and the headphones) and PCM, which obviously doesn't do anything.

Anyone have experience with this?

Offline Newby

• Thrash!
    • View Profile
Re: Routing Audio?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 06:33:48 pm »
My speakers automatically stop producing sound when a headset is plugged in.

And they're 5 years old.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006, 12:20:55 am »

And they're 5 years old.

That's because your speakers have nothing to do with your sound card.  The sound card on laptops supply the port for headphones, not the speakers.

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 10:09:42 am »

And they're 5 years old.

That's because your speakers have nothing to do with your sound card.  The sound card on laptops supply the port for headphones, not the speakers.

My laptop speakers stop producing sound when headphones are plugged in too ... not sure whats wrong.  Have you tried a different set of headphones?  Is the port broken?
An adorable giant isopod!

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2006, 12:20:10 pm »
My laptop speakers stop producing sound when headphones are plugged in too ... not sure whats wrong.  Have you tried a different set of headphones?  Is the port broken?

It's not the headphones.  The headphones work fine.  It's not the port.  It works properly in windows.  There's supposedly a "headphone jack sense" that shows up in alsamixer, but it doesn't.