Author Topic: Computer Problems  (Read 5521 times)

Offline Ender

• x86
    • View Profile
Computer Problems
« on: September 03, 2006, 10:57:51 am »
My cousins' computer restarts a little while (under a minute) after logging onto Windows (the account they log into is an admin account). I ran Norton Antivirus in Safe Mode and it still restarted, in the middle of the scan. I booted up a linux livecd and it did not restart, so I doubt it is a hardware problem.

The first obvious guess is that it's a startup virus. What worries me is that it still restarted in safe mode -- I thought all unnecessary startup programs were gotten rid of in safe mode. Another possibility is that some Windows files are corrupted. Also, sometimes it has a hard time booting Windows.

The easy way out is wiping the hard drive and reinstalling Windows but my cousins want that to be a last resort, and personally it's no fun for me. I don't have much time to make this post so I tried to put as much information as I could bluntly. Maybe I'll get around to listing the startup programs later and providing more data. But for now I just wanted your feedback on whether you guys think it's a startup virus problem or Windows files being corrupted (by a virus or end-user or w/e) or something else?

Offline TeHFoOoL

• View Profile
Re: Computer Problems
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2006, 11:41:22 am »
It -could- be a program in startup that's causing it, but I highly doubt it. If it is, however, just delete all of the programs/whatevers that are on the startup list.Typically, if there's a corrupt file for a startup program you'd get an error message opposed to a full restart. /shrug I don't know much from there. :[

Can't fool a FoOoL

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2006, 12:37:39 pm »
How long did you allow linux to stay booted?  Try leaving it on for ~4x the amount of time it takes for windows to bomb.  If it still dies, it's probably a cooling issue.  Check the BIOS; sometimes they'll have temperature information.

If that's not the case, try repairing the OS?  It leaves all of the files intact, but it completely restores the operating system.  If this doesn't work, just get an old hard drive, install windows on it and let them copy their files over.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2006, 12:42:50 pm »
Turn off Windows' "Automatically restart on a fatal error" setting.  I don't know what that setting is, but it's near control panel -> system.  Then, you'll likely end up getting a bluescreen or something.  At least that'll give you a little more information. 

Try booting off a Linux live cd (www.knoppix.org).  If it crashs/freezes/kernel panics on Linux, then you know it's a motherboard/cpu/graphics card/etc problem.  If Linux runs fine, then it's probably a broken OS or a bad harddrive. 

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2006, 12:46:00 pm »
System -> Advanced -> Startup and Recovery.

Windows displays a dialog upon boot if it crashed, though.  If he's been in it long enough to start a virus scan, it would have appeared.  Maybe something's broken, but I kind of doubt it.

Offline Ender

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2006, 10:46:33 pm »
I did try booting up a linux livecd (as noted in my first post) and kept it on for around 15 minutes, and it didn't restart unpredictably.

Some recent changes are that the computer failed to turn on when pressing the power button. This screams "overheating!" as someone mentioned earlier. Another thing that happens is that we get a Data Execution Prevention error. This is normally caused by viruses and buffer overflowes, but I'm wondering -- can overheating cause this?

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2006, 10:58:13 pm »
I ran Norton Antivirus in Safe Mode and it still restarted, in the middle of the scan.

My computer has restarted when virus scanning before as well.

I blame my harddrive (which apparently went bad in segments) OR I blame hardware.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Killer360

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2006, 11:13:37 pm »
I did try booting up a linux livecd (as noted in my first post) and kept it on for around 15 minutes, and it didn't restart unpredictably.

Some recent changes are that the computer failed to turn on when pressing the power button. This screams "overheating!" as someone mentioned earlier. Another thing that happens is that we get a Data Execution Prevention error. This is normally caused by viruses and buffer overflowes, but I'm wondering -- can overheating cause this?

Yes, that's most likely what's causing your problems, overheating. Is it a custom computer?

I've heard that some viruses can also cause overheating.

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2006, 11:15:25 pm »
Try to find a LiveCD with clamscan installed on it and use that for an antivirus scan. It detects Windoze viruses, of course, so it's all good. :)
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2006, 11:23:11 pm »
INSERT was a distro that had clamscan on it. I used it at one point.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2006, 11:27:39 pm »
Yes, hardware problems can cause DEP errors, although they are more likely caused by a virus. But from everything you said, I'd bet that there's something wrong with the hardware, whether it's overheating or something's failing is hard to say.  But if the problem started randomly, heat might not be the problem. 

Just to be on the safe side, before ruling out a virus, I agree that you should find a liveCD distro with clamscan and do a sweep for viruses.  If nothing is found, which I suspect will be the case, start looking at possible hardware problems, including overheating. 

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2006, 12:50:51 pm »
I ran Norton Antivirus in Safe Mode and it still restarted, in the middle of the scan.

My computer has restarted when virus scanning before as well.

I blame my harddrive (which apparently went bad in segments) OR I blame hardware.
Either that, or if there is a virus, it attacked Norton because it's a virus scanner. Does it still reboot in safe mode even if you don't run a virus scan?
Hitmen: art is gay

Offline Super_X

• I suck.
  • I suck!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2006, 03:51:18 pm »
Also, before you start adding fans and stuff, just pop out a window, or the body of the case while you run it. Then the heat can diffuse faster.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2006, 04:09:16 pm »
The idea of a closed case is to improve airflow.  If a fan is broken and it becomes evident that heat is indeed the issue, then replace the fan.  Running a computer with the side cover off decreases airflow if it was designed correctly.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2006, 04:25:20 pm »
The idea of a closed case is to improve airflow.  If a fan is broken and it becomes evident that heat is indeed the issue, then replace the fan.  Running a computer with the side cover off decreases airflow if it was designed correctly.
That's assuming it was designed properly.  Having the cover on my increase airflow, but having the cover off increases dissipation.  So if there is an airflow problem, removing the cover might help.  Just to be clear :)