Author Topic: yeah, hp laptops suck  (Read 7324 times)

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
Re: yeah, hp laptops suck
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2006, 02:10:33 pm »
You can plug a keyboard/mouse/monitor into a laptop. It's what I did during the time that my PSU was fried.

I know I could, but high end laptops overheat unless you get a cooling pad, which I don't particularly want to do.  Plus, it's much nicer to have two nice computers in case of a failure in one.

I know they make docking stations, but I'm not sure they make ones that have all the functionality that I would need to emulate my desktp.

trust

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2006, 02:31:35 pm »
Yeah, being without a computer sucks.  That's why I dropped $250 and got a cheap-o computer.  The cheap-o computer was the one I took to school all the time, because if it got broken or stolen I wouldn't be as upset.  It's also the one I used while my good one was away for warranty work.
hmm, I've thought about getting a desktop, now might be the time.

but there is no need for 2 machines...I'd just have to keep them both updated & stuff.

*sigh*, ill just go in and ask them about it and mention that I need something for school, maybe theyll be nice (since I've had a few problems now) & let me drop this POS & get some money back & Ill get something different

Don't worry about it. I built my desktop and even though the parts are now outdated..it still runs very well and plays graphic-intensive games well. But now that I have a laptop I never use my main computer (unless I'm downloading a torrent overnight...and then I'll just transfer it to my laptop.) I'm actually considering just selling my desktop.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2006, 02:03:23 pm »
I've got a bunch of POS boxes here.  If all you need is something for word processing/internet while your laptop is being repaired, I guess I could send you one.
what kind of old random crap do you have layin around & how much might you be asking for said random crap?

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2006, 03:05:00 pm »
Like..100/200MHz, 32MB RAM, 2.16GB boxes.  Price is shipping, which I'll have to get an estimate on.  PS: I have no monitors.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2006, 03:43:28 pm »
Like..100/200MHz, 32MB RAM, 2.16GB boxes.  Price is shipping, which I'll have to get an estimate on.  PS: I have no monitors.
mk,nevermind.

if anything i need a monitor.  we have a desktop with a dead monitor right  now :(

trust

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2006, 04:35:40 pm »
Do you have an LCD tv by any chance? You can use that as a monitor (I use mine for my laptop every once in awhile.)

Hey, if you bought my desktop...I'd include an LCD monitor. ;)

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2006, 06:31:54 pm »
lol...we got some $50 CRT flatscreen from officemax a bit ago, thisll work til my laptop is fixed (again)

Offline tauist

• View Profile
HP laptops suck
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2007, 09:14:55 am »
If you have any desire to install any form of Linux/BSD(that includes OSx)/Unix. DO NOT choose HP. I bought a dv9008nr and found the out of an 18 point check of the bios 10 failed!!! I called HP and got way up in customer care. HP stance is that HP sell windows laptops only. They will not support any other functionality AT ALL. I asked for my money backl so I could buy a laptop that works for me only to get put off over the last 5 months. I even left a messege for Jeff Utiguard, a executive in Customer care, over 2 month's ago. I never heard anything back from him at all. I urge all laptop consumers to STOP buying hp products until HP stops supporting ONLY WINDOWS. And just as an FYI the 10 failed BIOS points are still broken in windows as well, but they put "patches" for windows to work, but NOTHING for ANY OTHER OS!!

TELL HP to stop asying. "Well it works in windows!?!?!?" ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

To view the errors for yourself:
1.) Download OpenSUSE CD1
2.) Boot to the disk
3.) Choose firmware test

Offline disco

• Comfortably Numb
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2007, 11:25:27 am »
Aside from having to replace a ram stick and getting a new hd I've never had a problem with my hp laptop.  And it's taken a few falls off the tv tray I keep it on.

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
Re: HP laptops suck
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2007, 01:39:43 pm »
If you have any desire to install any form of Linux/BSD(that includes OSx)/Unix. DO NOT choose HP.
Yeah, okay, I guess running Fedora Core 4 and 5 and Slackware 10 on my two HP laptops must mean that HP doesn't work.

Maybe if Linux supported HP by giving them business and support training, it could be affordable for HP to provide support for non-Microsoft products.

This is a great example of TCO.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2007, 01:58:45 pm »
If you have any desire to install any form of Linux/BSD(that includes OSx)/Unix. DO NOT choose HP.
Yeah, okay, I guess running Fedora Core 4 and 5 and Slackware 10 on my two HP laptops must mean that HP doesn't work.

Maybe if Linux supported HP by giving them business and support training, it could be affordable for HP to provide support for non-Microsoft products.

TCO?

Fedora 5 worked fine on my last HP.  Fedora 6 didnt go over so well on this one, didnt put enough time into getting the ndiswrapper to work correctly...linux worked fine though

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2007, 02:43:06 pm »

TCO?
Total Cost of Ownership.  Even though Linux is free, it generally costs more to maintain and support (so says Microsoft).
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2007, 04:48:53 pm »
I've seen a few ads advocating that "HP makes Linux easy."  I doubt there's much tension between the two groups, as HP has donated a few pretty expensive servers to kernel.org.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2007, 12:43:16 am »
Total Cost of Ownership.  Even though Linux is free, it generally costs more to maintain and support (so says Microsoft).

It kinda does, because with purchasing Windows you get free technical support (via Microsoft) and your "Windows administrator experts" are a dime a dozen. Linux ones are a lot more rare, and there's a lot more maintenance done to a Linux system (patching software, kernels, etc) (not that there isn't in Windows....) that is hands-on. At least that's how I see it in my mind.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2007, 02:04:22 am »
You don't get free technical support for all cases.  The ones for Server OS' cost $300 or something like that.