Author Topic: PETA against cockroach eating contest  (Read 5437 times)

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
PETA against cockroach eating contest
« on: September 25, 2006, 01:03:33 pm »
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20060925/D8KBS6AG0.html

Uhm, WTF?!

They're damned roaches!  Eat them or I'll stomp on them!

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
Re: PETA against cockroach eating contest
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 01:59:59 pm »
That's so stupid.  I wonder if they're against eliminating foul infected with the avian flu?

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 02:12:40 pm »
That's so stupid.  I wonder if they're against eliminating foul infected with the avian flu?
I'm absolutely sure that they ARE against killing those foul, as well as against killing cows with BSE (mad cow disease).  Because after all, they're all animals, and PETA is People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals

I may not like PETA, but I totally understand why they'd take this position. 

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006, 02:36:34 pm »
People
Eatting
Tasty
Animals.

I fucking hate PETA people.  Especially this women.  Who the fuck cares?!  You don't see them protesting against Lions for eatting animals do you?  What's so different between a human eatting an animal/bug and a Lion eatting an animal.  Atleast when we do it isn't as messy and the animal dies quicker.
The once grove of splendor,
Aforetime crowned by lilac and lily,
Lay now forevermore slender;
And all winds that liven
Silhouette a lone existence;
A leafless oak grasping at eternity.

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2006, 02:39:52 pm »
I'm absolutely sure that they ARE against killing those foul, as well as against killing cows with BSE (mad cow disease).  Because after all, they're all animals, and PETA is People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals

I may not like PETA, but I totally understand why they'd take this position. 

Then what do they recommend we do?  Lock them up in a cage, quarantined from the outside world?  That's not very ethical either.  It doesn't seem that they can think past five minutes in the future.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2006, 03:03:06 pm »
Then what do they recommend we do?  Lock them up in a cage, quarantined from the outside world?  That's not very ethical either.  It doesn't seem that they can think past five minutes in the future.
Why are you asking me?  I don't know!

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2006, 05:12:35 pm »

But you said you can see why they take the stance they do! :(

Haha, I see reason for being against that, but there are far too many reasons to outlaw it, I think.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2006, 05:16:51 pm »

But you said you can see why they take the stance they do! :(

Haha, I see reason for being against that, but there are far too many reasons to outlaw it, I think.

I do see why, killing the birds isn't very nice.  But I don't know what they'd choose for an alternative, and I'm neither going to research their viewpoints, nor am I going to pretend I know :P

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2006, 05:20:25 pm »
I do see why, killing the birds isn't very nice.  But I don't know what they'd choose for an alternative, and I'm neither going to research their viewpoints, nor am I going to pretend I know :P

Haha.  That's what I'm saying.  I'd be interested to hear what the propose that people do as an alternative (I'm not asking you :P).  They say killing disease-ridden birds is mean, but there really isn't much of an ethical solution as of now that doesn't also entail high amounts of danger to humans.

Personally, I think most of PETA's viewpoints are dumbass hasty statements.

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2006, 08:23:49 pm »

Haha.  That's what I'm saying.  I'd be interested to hear what the propose that people do as an alternative (I'm not asking you :P).  They say killing disease-ridden birds is mean, but there really isn't much of an ethical solution as of now that doesn't also entail high amounts of danger to humans.

So if a group of humans got an infectious disease that was 50% likely to be fatal, would you prefer that those humans be killed, or quarantined?

Offline Super_X

• I suck.
  • I suck!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2006, 08:26:39 pm »

So if a group of humans got an infectious disease that was 50% likely to be fatal, would you prefer that those humans be killed, or quarantined?

Leper colonys.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2006, 08:44:21 pm »

We obviously have more & higher rights than animals.  We're the dominate species on earth, we make the rules.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2006, 08:51:18 pm »

Quarantined, assuming it is contageous.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2006, 09:50:54 pm »
People
Eatting
Tasty
Animals

No wonder they're against this. Cockroaches do not taste good. If this were a cow eating contest with A1 steak sauce I'm sure they'd approve.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2006, 09:55:59 pm »

A leper should be quarantined. Someone with the avian flu should be asked not to bite others.

EDIT -
This reminds me of a local outbreak of Whooping Cough, recently. The victims of Whooping Cough were quarintined to their homes officially.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.