Author Topic: PETA against cockroach eating contest  (Read 5452 times)

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
Re: PETA against cockroach eating contest
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2006, 02:00:39 am »
So if a group of humans got an infectious disease that was 50% likely to be fatal, would you prefer that those humans be killed, or quarantined?

Quarantined, assuming it is contageous.

So, if those in PETA believe the same standards of treatment should be applied to non-human animals and human-animals, then it does make sense that PETA would take the stance that the chickens shouldn't be killed.  Not that I would support quarantining the chickens, and we don't know whether or not PETA would either.  In any case, I think publicly providing incentive for lots of people to do something extremely obscene is in very poor taste, and eating live "hissing" cockroaches for a large audience is definitely obscene.   How can we say that this is less obscene than a woman exposing her breasts in public?  And it is generally illegal for a woman to do this, solely because it is "obscene."
« Last Edit: September 26, 2006, 02:06:23 am by Rule »

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2006, 02:39:13 am »
So, if those in PETA believe the same standards of treatment should be applied to non-human animals and human-animals, then it does make sense that PETA would take the stance that the chickens shouldn't be killed.  Not that I would support quarantining the chickens, and we don't know whether or not PETA would either.  In any case, I think publicly providing incentive for lots of people to do something extremely obscene is in very poor taste, and eating live "hissing" cockroaches for a large audience is definitely obscene.   How can we say that this is less obscene than a woman exposing her breasts in public?  And it is generally illegal for a woman to do this, solely because it is "obscene."

Since that is a subjective conclusion (eating a cockroach being compared equally to a woman exposing her breasts), I'm not sure.  There is nudity in movies and on some networks at certain hours.  The ratings of the show that has this content indicate that.  While whatever show it is that's doing this probably doesn't have some sort of rating tag indicating the assimilation of live cockroaches, it probably has a rating of "TV14" or "M," I'd guess.

I'm not saying that I agree with any sort of "competition" involving people eating cockroaches.  I think all of that kind of "entertainment" is pretty stupid, but, alas, so many people clap their hands together in gleeful disgust when they watch something like this.

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2006, 09:43:41 pm »
People
Eatting
Tasty
Animals

No wonder they're against this. Cockroaches do not taste good. If this were a cow eating contest with A1 steak sauce I'm sure they'd approve.
Probably.  Those crazy PETA people.
The once grove of splendor,
Aforetime crowned by lilac and lily,
Lay now forevermore slender;
And all winds that liven
Silhouette a lone existence;
A leafless oak grasping at eternity.

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus