Author Topic: Wii Runs on Linux  (Read 2635 times)

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
Wii Runs on Linux
« on: October 08, 2006, 08:11:43 pm »
http://games.slashdot.org/games/06/10/08/1754219.shtml

Aha!  Pretty interesting.  I want to see where this goes, especially if it leads to being able to add new support for stuff just by updating.

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
Re: Wii Runs on Linux
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2006, 08:13:29 pm »
Why is this being touted as a new feature? I'm pretty sure you're able to download updates via the 360 as well..

It using Linux is great and all ..it'd just be interesting to see how exactly they propose on getting stable 3D running. IIRC Even closed source 3D drivers dont match the Windows driver in performance.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2006, 08:28:13 pm »
You didn't read the article. Nowhere does it say it runs on Linux. That's a pure speculative thought. :|
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2006, 08:48:06 pm »
Then the Wii runs on Linux title is a little misleading.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2006, 09:50:56 pm »
You didn't read the article. Nowhere does it say it runs on Linux. That's a pure speculative thought. :|
It runs a proprietary kernel, but they want to run GNU/Linux.  Shh.

Offline d&q

• I'm here.
    • View Profile
    • Site
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2006, 09:55:01 pm »
Then the Wii runs on Linux title is a little misleading.

Wouldn't the proper title be Linux runs on the Wii?
The writ of the founders must endure.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2006, 10:17:11 pm »
It runs a proprietary kernel, but they want to run GNU/Linux.  Shh.

Nowhere in the article does it mention 'GNU' or 'Linux' so I suggest you shh and actually try reading for once. The summary isn't the article. Where does it say they (they being Nintendo, the ones who apparently were using a Linux kernel) want to run GNU/Linux?

A quote from slashdot:

The person who posted the original story really should have done the 5 minutes research I just did, there is zero credible evidence that Nintendo has done anything at all with Linux. The "source" of the original speculation is someone named "Kiyoshi Saruwatari", who claims to be a designer who doesn't work for Nintendo, but has worked with them. He never names a company, specific business interactions, the nature of his work, nothing. His "facts" seem to consist of pure conjecture and swizzling of common publically released information (Virtual Console, etc).

In the months before the Wii controller was revealed at Tokyo Game Show 2005, there was a rash of "insider" blogs, with a lot of suspiciously made-up sounding Japanese names, with calculatedly poor English skills. These blogs were the source of a lot of the early misinformation, the "VR helmet" nonsense, the "secretly more graphically powerful than both Xbox 360 and PS3", the "Kid Icarus sequel", etc. My guess is half of them were American or European fanboys who were trying to stir things up.

In short I don't consider it responsible to call the single, highly dubious rumor that Nintendo is using Linux "reporting", and I hope this doesn't touch off a lot of controversy over what began with nothing more than a big fat lie / hoax.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2006, 10:21:06 pm by Newby »
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2006, 07:44:16 am »
Aww :(