Author Topic: Question  (Read 2342 times)

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
Question
« on: October 14, 2006, 10:32:19 pm »
If Jesus died, then came back and everything, where is he now? What happened after the resurrection?
Hitmen: art is gay

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
Re: Question
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2006, 10:38:19 pm »
If Jesus died, then came back and everything, where is he now? What happened after the resurrection?

The ascension.

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 11:34:11 pm »
Mark 16 (and Matthew 28) tell about the resurrection and his ministry afterwards (40 days, I believe?) and then (specifically Mark 16:19) disappeared.

Note: The bible says that he was taken up to heaven, implying that heaven is simply above earth, and that you have to ascend to get there. It doesn't say, however, the nature of his transportation. It's assumed by most that He simply started flying, like a balloon that a little kid let go of, and kept going until He disapeared in the clouds. However, I personally think (I'm not saying I'm right, by any means) that He was "dematerialzed" in a "Glory Cloud", like those chronicled at Mount Sinai in the book of Exodus, and the one where Jesus was visited by Moses and Elijah in Matthew 17:1-11.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2006, 12:57:04 am »
In English, it says he ascended to heaven, which is still rather ambiguous.  It doesn't mean that he flew into space into some distant region of the universe to get to heaven.  It could be using the word in a totally metaphysical sense (which I think everyone assumes it is), which doesn't necessarily mean that heaven isn't a physically existing location in any way we can imagine.

I don't know what you're thinking, though.  It doesn't matter where heaven is or how Jesus got there.  It probably shouldn't be a problem you spend any time thinking about, because you'll never be able to prove the answer beyond reasonable doubt (even onto faithful people) because there is no evidence of the sort and there is nowhere in the bible that directly states "heaven is directly above earth" or how Jesus got there.

Also, you have to realize that "above earth" means nothing in the context you're using it.  The earth isn't flat, remember?  "Above the sky" at the North pole points in a much different direction than "above the sky" at the South pole.

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006, 07:57:18 am »
Sorry. Heaven is directly above Judea, Galalie, Nazereth, and Jerusalem. :) (Kidding)
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.