Author Topic: Re: Joe The Lifeguard  (Read 17094 times)

Offline Joe

• B&
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
Re: Re: Joe The Lifeguard
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2006, 05:44:39 pm »
I doubt it. Do you get discounted/free food? Do you make your paycheck in tips? (meaning paycheck*2, meaning out here, that'd be ~$12-13 an hour)

Sure, you work harder, but you make more $ too. I'd rather be occupied with doing something than sitting there and going "ok, you can go...... wait..... ok, you can go" for six hours at a time.

I get dramatically discounted food. A 22oz soda is $1, down from $2.25. A $2 icecream bar is $1. In our break room, we get king sized candy bars for decent prices (the entire vending machine is >$1). No, I don't get tips, but the friend in question works at Wendy's, not a, in your words, real resteraunt, so he doesn't either. I'm sure there are people my age who make more than me, but the fact is I'm content with what I do make.

Story of the day! Clocking out I realized that a new pay cycle had begun, and I'd clocked out yesterday with 13.99 hours (not 13 hours and 99 minutes, though), all acheived on a Friday-Saturday. Today I got to run the most "intense" slide we have, the Hurricane, and naturally on my first shift running it the raft-return went to shit on us. Luckily the shallow-guard at the bottom was Tory and he knew I was a newbie and figured it all out on his own. :). After that it was shallow-guard in the kiddie pool for two rotations in a row (the person behind me was willing to skip me, but thought I was insane), and then clocking out 15 minutes late because LG supervisors can't tell time. When I went to schedule my hours for this week, the supervisor in that area was on Yahoo chatting and had to finish typing her message before she minimized and talked to me. :(.

EDIT -
At Newby's second point, slide attendants only attend slides half the time. The rest is shallow-guarding in kiddie pools. You don't need certification to do shallow-guard under 1ft, but you can't administer first aid if something happens (two whistle blows and a "come here" sign gets you a real lifeguard though so it's all good, and three whistle blows gets them all!).
« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 05:46:17 pm by Joe[x86] »
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2006, 05:49:55 pm »
I get dramatically discounted food. A 22oz soda is $1, down from $2.25. A $2 icecream bar is $1

I meant actual meals, but neat. You can get junk food cheaper. I got soda for free though, and it's an unlimited supply. :P

- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Joe

• B&
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2006, 05:51:53 pm »
I meant actual meals, but neat. You can get junk food cheaper. I got soda for free though, and it's an unlimited supply. :P

When I bought my soda, I filled it up, chugged it, and refilled it. I'm sure we'd be able to get refills, but I wasn't thirsty enough to bother finding out. And yeah, they don't serve actual meals.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2006, 07:48:13 pm »
When I bought my soda, I filled it up, chugged it, and refilled it. I'm sure we'd be able to get refills, but I wasn't thirsty enough to bother finding out. And yeah, they don't serve actual meals.

You bought it. I simply picked up a cup and filled it. :]
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
Re: Joe The Lifeguard
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2006, 08:19:01 pm »
ROFL!!  That counts.  I'm sure of it.

Offline Joe

• B&
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2006, 07:59:41 am »
Note that dri-fit shirts are great for lifeguarding, but when dry they're very static. :(.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2006, 12:33:33 pm »
ROFL!!  That counts.  I'm sure of it.

?

Offline Joe

• B&
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2006, 05:13:01 pm »
Joetheodd is phat rich mofos. $20 in savings, $20 in checking, at Wells Fargo. I earn intrest on my savings, and have a checkbook for my savings.. so I don't know what the difference is, but eh? I grossed $101.43, paid $34 to the Wilderness for my uniform, and like $8 to USA, netting $59.67, spending around $5 at McDonalds, and bought some gum, soda, and a CD Player at Wallyworld.

Life is good, damn it.

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2006, 05:34:13 pm »
Life is good, damn it.
So you're cursing the fact that life is good? :-\
errr... something like that...

Offline Joe

• B&
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2006, 05:53:41 pm »
No, I'm emphasing it!

And actually, my checkbook for my savings account is just full of deposit slips. Hm, whatever. And yay for balance tranfers.. I'm prepared to go out of town this weekend, after transfering $10 to checking! :)

Offline d&q

• I'm here.
    • View Profile
    • Site
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2006, 07:21:58 pm »
Hehe I'm rich too! I have $80 under my bed. I think I'm gonna buy 790 bags of ramen and a $1 hooker. And also, maybe you should save for college, or something remotely useful.
The writ of the founders must endure.

Offline Joe

• B&
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2006, 11:54:25 pm »
Red Cross is a bunch of hardasses. Rule of Lifeguarding, when a woman is giving emergency child birth, never stick your fingers in her vagina for any reason, even to assist delivery. Also, the baby will be slippery so avoid dropping it.

Monday: Classroom.
Tuesday: Rescue practice at city pool.
Wednesday: Classroom.
Thursday: Some more pool stuff.
Friday: Testing.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2006, 12:02:04 am »
Does a quicky before her contractions get too bad count?

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2006, 07:29:33 pm »
That's stupid, put some gloves on and help deliver that baby man..although I doubt paramedics would take so long ..
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline Joe

• B&
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2006, 11:39:09 pm »
That's stupid, put some gloves on and help deliver that baby man..although I doubt paramedics would take so long ..

Do you know how to deliver a baby? If yes, enlighten me, otherwise you know as much about delivering babies as I do.

Joe the Lifeguard is now a true lifeguard, certified by the American Red Cross in CPR, First Aid, and Lifeguarding.