Author Topic: Job Interview!  (Read 6671 times)

Offline skip

• mmk
    • View Profile
Job Interview!
« on: October 18, 2006, 03:15:29 pm »
So, finally, after waiting months and assuming I was rejected... I got a call from Kroger (I'm 15:)) saying I have a job interview this Saturday!

Any tips and/or suggestions?

Should I dress up? I remember when my cousin got a grocery store job, he went in jeans and a shirt and still got the job. He told me that once you get the interview, it automatically means that you got the job, is that true?

Offline Krazed

• x86
    • View Profile
Re: Job Interview!
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 03:16:11 pm »
What kind of job is it?
It is good to be good, but it is better to be lucky.

Offline skip

• mmk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 03:24:39 pm »
I believe Stocker & Bagger.

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006, 03:38:51 pm »
Always dress well and look presentable.

Be confident, even to the point of cocky.  You don't want to come off as cocky or arrogant, but carry yourself well.

If you don't immediately know the answer to a question (such as, "What is your biggest fault?"), be thoughtful.  For that question I highly recommend, "I need to work on being less attractive so that co-workers aren't constantly distracted."  Make sure you laugh and follow up with your REAL answer.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

trust

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2006, 04:50:32 pm »
That 'joke' is fucking stupid. I wouldn't hire him just for being whack.

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2006, 04:51:20 pm »
Dress nice, but not suit & tie (you're interviewing for bagger, after all).

Offline Quik

• Webmaster Guy
  • x86
  • \x51 \x75 \x69 \x6B \x5B \x78 \x38 \x36 \x5D
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2006, 04:58:02 pm »
That 'joke' is fucking stupid. I wouldn't hire him just for being whack.

How is Dilbert 'whack' ? I think it's a decently good joke, you're just too wanna-be black prep to see the humor.

Just because you get the interview doesn't mean you get the job. Most places around here interview, decide between a few people that they interviewed, do drugtests, and go from there.
[20:21:13] xar: i was just thinking about the time iago came over here and we made this huge bomb and light up the sky for 6 min
[20:21:15] xar: that was funny

trust

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2006, 05:02:23 pm »
What are you talking about? You go in there in a tie trying to be professional and say something like that? It's just stupid.

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2006, 05:14:41 pm »
Dress nice, but not suit & tie (you're interviewing for bagger, after all).
Why not?  So what if it's the bagger job?  Putting on a tie indicates that you're willing to put effort into making yourself look good.  I wouldn't hire someone who came to an interview without a tie (unless she had a nice chest and/or ass).

What are you talking about? You go in there in a tie trying to be professional and say something like that? It's just stupid.
I put that on my performance review (actually, I copied the better part of the "performance review" from the Dilbert Principle) when I submitted it to my boss.  He was hysterical.

Obviously you have to feel out the water, but being able to inject humor into the situation shows that you don't have a bug up your ass.

Of course, it's obviously failed trust because he's just so damn ugly that nobody would believe him.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline skip

• mmk
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2006, 07:15:32 pm »
I'll just wear slacks, dress shirt and a tie!

Hmm... the thing is... they said they NEED Sunday workers. I'm busy on Sundays (church football team) until after Thanksgiving weekend. If can work Sundays, I'm almost guarenteed the job. HMM, dilemma, dilemma, dilemma!

One question, I guarentee they will ask me is: Why do you want this job?
By just saying "I want money," sounds bad.. what should I say?  ;D

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2006, 07:22:29 pm »
You want the experience of a job and you want to use it as a resume builder, as well as to gain some pocket cash for miscellaneous (sp?) needs while in school.

trust

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2006, 07:24:45 pm »
They understand that you don't want to be a bagger to further your career or anything like that. Just tell them it's for experience or be honest and say it's for money, they already know the reason anyway.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2006, 07:34:44 pm »
What also works is you can use the job as an oppertunity to meet people. That's what I said. It got me in.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Furious

• I hate rabbits
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2006, 07:48:33 pm »
Coming from a former Kroger employee, you won't be stocking at all ( they won't allow you because of the bailer etc. ), bagging is easy.  Don't over do it going into Kroger though, I went in there with a pair of khakis and a polo shirt,  I ended up being one of their best cashiers and most knowledgeable cashier / produce employee.  I will tell you from personal experience though that they pay shitty.
[23:04:34] <deadly7[x86]> Newby[x86]
[23:04:35] <deadly7[x86]> YOU ARE AN EMO
[23:04:39] <Newby[x86]> shush it woman

[17:53:31] InsaneJoey[e2] was banned by x86 (GO EAT A BAG OF FUCK ASSHOLE (randomban)).

Quote from: Ergot
Put it this way Joe... you're on my Buddy List... if there's no one else on an you're the only one, I'd rather talk to myself.

Offline Killer360

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2006, 07:53:59 pm »
I'm not familiar with "Kroger" because I live in Winnipeg, but how much do they pay? I know at Safeway (Canadian grocery store) you get paid a lot.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2006, 08:00:04 pm by Killer360 »