Author Topic: Slacketh  (Read 13123 times)

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
Re: Slacketh
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2005, 05:11:19 pm »
I think if he explains exactly what he's trying to do here, it would make life easier.  Like, what do you have now, what do you want to have, what are you willing to lose, and what are you wanting to keep?

If that was directed to me:

The ONLY reason I need to dualboot is because my dad enjoys playing solitaire on WInXP since he's got nothing else to do :rolleyes: and anything even remotely difficult for him (computer-wise) would be devestating because I'd have to spend another hour teaching him how to type the right keys in.

And: I'd rather KEEP my WinXP part the way it is now, so I don't wanna have to format my HD for windows, like it said something about that on the site.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2005, 09:11:09 pm »
Ok, you have two options if you want to keep your current Windows installation:
a) Get a second harddrive
b) Resize your main partition

You need about 10gb of unpartitioned space for Linux.  PartitionMagic can resize partitions, but that has always blown up in my face so far.

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2005, 09:57:16 pm »
Ok, you have two options if you want to keep your current Windows installation:
a) Get a second harddrive
b) Resize your main partition

You need about 10gb of unpartitioned space for Linux.  PartitionMagic can resize partitions, but that has always blown up in my face so far.

a) Can't do... money reasons.
b) HUH?

I have over 25 gigs of free space, I believe. I haven't "partitioned" anything as of yet.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2005, 10:58:57 pm »
Are you sure your whole hard drive isn't just one fat partition?
Who gives a damn? I fuck sheep all the time.
And yes, male both ends.  There are a couple lesbians that need a two-ended dildo...My router just refuses to wear a strap-on.
(05:55:03) JoE ThE oDD: omfg good job i got a boner thinkin bout them chinese bitches
(17:54:15) Sidoh: I love cosmetology

Offline Quik

• Webmaster Guy
  • x86
  • \x51 \x75 \x69 \x6B \x5B \x78 \x38 \x36 \x5D
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2005, 11:25:23 pm »
I'm almost positive that's what he means, I doubt he's running the computer on a non-formatted/partitioned drive :p

[EDIT]: We could probably hook your father up with a Linux version of Solitare, compliments of Clan x86.
[20:21:13] xar: i was just thinking about the time iago came over here and we made this huge bomb and light up the sky for 6 min
[20:21:15] xar: that was funny

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2005, 11:29:16 pm »
I think KDE comes with KSolitare or something similar.

EDIT -- Slackware 10.0 comes with 2 versions of Solitare I could count off the menu in KDE.

deadly, I think it's time to convert your family. :)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2005, 11:32:03 pm by Newby »
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2005, 12:11:52 am »
It's callled Patience and my sister likes it better than Window's solitare =X
And yes, male both ends.  There are a couple lesbians that need a two-ended dildo...My router just refuses to wear a strap-on.
(05:55:03) JoE ThE oDD: omfg good job i got a boner thinkin bout them chinese bitches

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2005, 09:58:16 am »
Also, if you add shortcuts and stuff to the KDE desktop, it's no harder to use than Windows.  In fact, I think it's easier, looks nicer, and runs better.  And you don't have to worry about spyware and viruses :)

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2005, 05:02:58 pm »
I'm almost positive that's what he means, I doubt he's running the computer on a non-formatted/partitioned drive :p

[EDIT]: We could probably hook your father up with a Linux version of Solitare, compliments of Clan x86.

In that case, <3.

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2005, 05:07:40 pm »
Whoo personal attacks. Too bad I wasn't using Linux when I did that dumbass. I was reformatting a partition to store files on. Also I had backups of the neccessary files needed to get back on my feet ie Superiority BNCS classes
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2005, 03:51:44 am »
Warrior! /spack!

deadly: Ignore QuikMan and do this (seriously, I'm trying to help you. You need it..)

1) Grab a friendly Macinosh and plop it down on your desk to use as a FTP server. (If you have broadband, you can subsititute a FTP server on the WAN for this step.)
2) Upload anything remotely important. (This is why I love 100MBPS bandwidth.)
3) Stick in Slack CD, reboot, holding F12 as needed. (Dell.)
4) cfdisk. Delete it all! Flush! I'd go half to 3/4 the drive NTFS or FAT32 (Slack can read both), 1024MB of Type 82 (Linux Swap), and the rest type 83 (Linux).
5) Install Windows. I believe you should know how to do this.
6) Reboot to Slack CD again.
7) Setup. Configure your swapfile. Easy. Configure target drive. Almost as easy (BE SURE TO USE EXT3 OR GET FUCKED!!~). Select whatever packages you want, blah.
8) Watch all the pretty advertisments for the open source freeware of wub. On your processor this should take an hour or two. Its pretty tightly compressed.
9) At the end of setup, install lilo in the MBR (you have nothing to lose but a few hours of work and whatever you installed in Windows). I just used the automatic setup, and it found my XP Home just fine. For a kernel, use bare.i unless you need something else. My computer is fairly standard so I just used bare.i.
10) Remove slackware CD, Ctrl Alt Delete.
11) Meet LILO. Its pretty black and redness greets you, and asks you what teh fuck you want to do today. You probably want to use Linux, don't you? Press 2 (well, thats what it is for me) or scroll to Linux and press enter. PS: CR = Carridge Return, the *nix translation of enter.

Configuring X11 and ALSA: (Desktop and Sound)
Alsa is easy as fuck, so do it first.
1) Type "alsaconf" and press enter. Follow on screen prompts. This took no brain power whatsoever.
2) Type "alsamixer" and press enter. Adjust your volume.

X11 setup:
1) Type "xorgsetup" and press enter. This will automatically detect your shiz and you'll be ready to go.
2) Type "xwmconfig" and press enter. Pick WindowMaker, because all the rest are nub. You may want to look at them, though, so have fun.
3) Type "startx" and meet your new home. If the resolution is two high or two low, adjust it using Ctrl + Alt + Plus / Minus.

Network Setup:
Slackware's greatness usually detects this for you. Right click (assuming your using windowmaker), go to run, and click it again. In the box that pops up (you may have to scroll the screen. This only feels wierd for the first 5 minutes.) type mozilla. Your good friend Mozzy pops up, and you're surfin teh net.

Setting up accounts for the family:
1) At the command prompt again (Right Click --> xterm / exit) type "adduser <username" and press enter. Follow the on screen prompts and have fun with it.

Anything more, ask yago. :P
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2005, 12:08:12 pm »
Joe: Notice how I'm trying to avoid having to reinstall windows/lose all my files? I could live with it, but I'd rather not have to.

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2005, 01:05:09 pm »
In that case, like I said, you either have to resize your partition (which is very dangerous), or buy another harddrive (which you said you didn't want to do). 

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2005, 01:41:18 pm »
1) Grab a friendly Macinosh and plop it down on your desk to use as a FTP server. (If you have broadband, you can subsititute a FTP server on the WAN for this step.)
2) Upload anything remotely important. (This is why I love 100MBPS bandwidth.)
Joe covered this, mmk?

EDIT -- I'd suggest using Gnome/KDE. He WILL get lost in WindowMaker.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2005, 01:43:01 pm by Newby »
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2005, 03:40:12 pm »
I'd suggest KDE because I believe Gnome is a pile of flaming shit. Yes, I think he will get very lost in WindowMaker, I can't even understand it :[!