Author Topic: Job Interview!  (Read 6599 times)

Offline skip

• mmk
    • View Profile
Re: Job Interview!
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2006, 07:55:04 pm »
You want the experience of a job and you want to use it as a resume builder, as well as to gain some pocket cash for miscellaneous (sp?) needs while in school.
They understand that you don't want to be a bagger to further your career or anything like that. Just tell them it's for experience or be honest and say it's for money, they already know the reason anyway.
What also works is you can use the job as an oppertunity to meet people. That's what I said. It got me in.

I'm going to say all the things you guys said, hahaha. :)

Coming from a former Kroger employee, you won't be stocking at all ( they won't allow you because of the bailer etc. ), bagging is easy.  Don't over do it going into Kroger though, I went in there with a pair of khakis and a polo shirt,  I ended up being one of their best cashiers and most knowledgeable cashier / produce employee.  I will tell you from personal experience though that they pay shitty.

Hmm... well, there is no harm done is dressing up. So heck, I will.

Yeah, my cousin works for Kroger as a bagger, he makes 6.50/hour. So, I'm assuming something between 6 and 6.50. It's the best I can do right now as a 15 year old anyways. But I've heard that after about a year of working at Kroger, I'll be making somewhere around $10? That true?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2006, 07:57:01 pm by skip »

Offline skip

• mmk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2006, 05:19:08 pm »
Bump.

Anyways, time for my interview! Wish me luck!  :)

Offline skip

• mmk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2006, 07:34:47 pm »
Well, yeah, I think the interview went decently well. The manager said that I was a "perfectly capable and qualified young man" for the job. However... the thing is.. my hours aren't that great for them. I told them Monday - Thursday 4-7, Saturday 7-7, and Sunday 3-7 (after thanksgiving weekend).

They are going to call back Monday or Tuesday giving me a yey or a nay.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2006, 12:16:22 am »
I doubt your job will last you a year. And if it does, I doubt you'll be up to $10/hr unless you step it up from a bagger.

But good luck!
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2006, 02:02:26 pm »
I doubt your job will last you a year. And if it does, I doubt you'll be up to $10/hr unless you step it up from a bagger.

But good luck!

Why?  There were tons of kids in my high school that worked at the grocery store.  Most of them worked there for at least a year.

Offline skip

• mmk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2006, 07:16:27 pm »
I was I was a little vague on what I meant. I meant that in a year, I'll be 16 and I'll most likely have a different task/duty to do than bagger.

And... if I do get hired, I'll be making $6.50 and after 6 months, I get a 25 cent raise!

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2006, 10:06:02 pm »
I don't think you live anywhere near a big waterpark, so my personal logic probably doesn't apply to you, but if I did have a job before I was 16 I probably would have applied elsewhere and then quit when I got a decent job. The jobs that hire 14 year olds tend to be low-paying and run by 15 year olds. I know our local Dairy Queen had a sophomore manager last year. So, yeah.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2006, 10:11:17 pm »
I know our local Dairy Queen had a sophomore manager last year. So, yeah.

What the fuck?
- Newby

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline skip

• mmk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2006, 04:04:47 pm »
<-- is now employed!

;D

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2006, 05:28:57 pm »
Congratulations. :)

Offline Ender

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2006, 07:30:20 pm »
So, finally, after waiting months and assuming I was rejected... I got a call from Kroger (I'm 15:)) saying I have a job interview this Saturday!

Any tips and/or suggestions?

Should I dress up? I remember when my cousin got a grocery store job, he went in jeans and a shirt and still got the job. He told me that once you get the interview, it automatically means that you got the job, is that true?

Jobs are on the lookout for creative and interesting people. I'd recommend going in a Hawaiian bathing suit attire on your first day to work. May get a raise.

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2006, 08:17:08 pm »
Jobs are on the lookout for creative and interesting people. I'd recommend going in a Hawaiian bathing suit attire on your first day to work. May get a raise.
Yeah, I did it my first day.  Turns out it wasn't very original where I worked.
errr... something like that...

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2006, 09:57:44 pm »
If I did that they'd send me home. I have a uniform I had to wear. :/
- Newby

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2006, 10:10:04 pm »
If I did that they'd send me home. I have a uniform I had to wear. :/
Working at a swim pool ftw!
errr... something like that...