Author Topic: Bush Poll results (confuse me)  (Read 7272 times)

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
Bush Poll results (confuse me)
« on: October 26, 2006, 05:20:38 pm »
http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/10/25/poll.bush/index.html

So why is his approval rating so low?  Are people judging him soley based on Iraq?
After reading that little article I'd think that Bush's ratings would be fairly decent instead of as low as they currently are.
I spose it is just the media skewing and influencing the public is what is happening.

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
Re: Bush Poll results (confuse me)
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006, 05:36:10 pm »
No, I'm sure people are judging him based on Iraq, social security, Katrina, and the Patriot Act. 
errr... something like that...

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006, 05:44:30 pm »

So why is his approval rating so low?  Are people judging him soley based on Iraq?
After reading that little article I'd think that Bush's ratings would be fairly decent instead of as low as they currently are.
I spose it is just the media skewing and influencing the public is what is happening.
I wouldn't trust CNN.com to analyze my toenail for fungi, and I'd trust them even less when it comes to news.  I hate CNN in every way, shape, or form.

On-topic: his approval rating is low because his administration, more or less, sucks as a whole.  There have been some intelligence scandals, and people get peeved when a terrorist is inquired improperly.  Also, people are stupid and easily influenced by the media.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006, 06:33:24 pm »

People who vote on CNN's website are most likely regular watchers of the CNN program, meaning they'll have the same biased point of view as CNN. You can only expect the same out of a poll that only 1,000 people took part in.
Hitmen: art is gay

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2006, 02:19:53 am »
No, I'm sure people are judging him based on Iraq, social security, Katrina, and the Patriot Act. 
Iraq, yes.

Social Security...nothing is really happening thats in the news there
Katrina...not even his thing, except him hating black people...I guess?
Patriot Act...people are showing LOTS of support for that, it seems.  Some people think it should go farther

I wouldn't trust CNN.com to analyze my toenail for fungi, and I'd trust them even less when it comes to news.  I hate CNN in every way, shape, or form.

On-topic: his approval rating is low because his administration, more or less, sucks as a whole.  There have been some intelligence scandals, and people get peeved when a terrorist is inquired improperly.  Also, people are stupid and easily influenced by the media.
Agreed on both counts, however, CNN is generally a liberal media program that spins stuff leftward, why would they want to make Bush look good when they spend so much time & money making him look bad?

People who vote on CNN's website are most likely regular watchers of the CNN program, meaning they'll have the same biased point of view as CNN. You can only expect the same out of a poll that only 1,000 people took part in.
I think it was a telephone poll by Opinion Research Corp.
Interviews with 1,013 adult Americans conducted by telephone by Opinion Research Corp. on October 20-22, 2006.
;)

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2006, 04:17:05 am »
Iraq, yes.

Social Security...nothing is really happening thats in the news there
Katrina...not even his thing, except him hating black people...I guess?
Patriot Act...people are showing LOTS of support for that, it seems.  Some people think it should go farther
As for Katrina, the common libby scuttlebutt is that FEMA could have reacted better.  Of course, the dumbfuck governor of Louisiana could have told people to get out, too, when Bush said to.

What the real bad news for Bush is that the economy is going to shit.  I mean, energy prices are down, and the Dow just hit barely over 12,000.  We're going to hell with the economy.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2006, 08:51:09 am »
I know a lot of people who are scared by the PATRIOT act.  Giving a government huge amounts of power is rarely a good thing to do.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2006, 10:07:25 am »
I know a lot of people who are scared by the PATRIOT act.  Giving a government huge amounts of power is rarely a good thing to do.
According to the poll, 65% of Americans support Bush in what he's done with security.  24% of them think he could do more.
...so, uh, looks like most people are lovin on those parts of the PATRIOT Act that say "we can look at you"

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2006, 01:02:26 pm »
Just because people think he's doing well in one area doesn't mean they approve of him overall. Sure, people might like what he's done with security, but what about his stance on immigration? If a person doesn't agree with W. on most of the important issues, chances are they're not going to approve of him overall in any poll.
errr... something like that...

Offline Hitmen

• B&
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2006, 02:36:32 pm »
According to the poll, 65% of Americans support Bush in what he's done with security.  24% of them think he could do more.
...so, uh, looks like most people are lovin on those parts of the PATRIOT Act that say "we can look at you"
How many of those people have heard of the PATRIOT act? Out of those, how many actually knows what it empowers the government to do? I would guess a very very small number.
(22:15:39) Newby: it hurts to swallow

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2006, 02:41:11 pm »
How many of those people have heard of the PATRIOT act? Out of those, how many actually knows what it empowers the government to do? I would guess a very very small number.

Well, according to surveys, oer 50% of people don't know much about it:

Date                           A Lot     Some     Not Much     Nothing
25 August-26 August 2003        10%       40%       25%          25%
10 November-12 November 2003    12%       41%       25%          22%
16 February-17 February 2004    13%       46%       27%          14%
13 April-16 April 2005          13%       28%       28%          29%

<edit> oh yeah, the source for that, as well as 200 other polls, is here
<edit2> disclaimer: I think that statistics about how good or bad the government is doing are stupid, because the average person is stupid/ignorant.  So I wouldn't put much faith in the numbers you see there.  The poll I posted is the only kind of poll I really trust.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2006, 02:45:13 pm by iago »

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2006, 05:35:00 pm »
The poll I posted is the only kind of poll I really trust.
lol

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2006, 05:41:50 pm »
Just because people think he's doing well in one area doesn't mean they approve of him overall. Sure, people might like what he's done with security, but what about his stance on immigration? If a person doesn't agree with W. on most of the important issues, chances are they're not going to approve of him overall in any poll.

Yep, I think that's exactly the reason.

I don't understand why you'd expect to see a dirrect corolation between a specific poll such as this one and the overall approval ratings.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2006, 07:03:46 pm »
lol
I don't know if you're trying to make fun or not, but it's logical. 

If you ask somebody, "how much do you know about xxx", odds are they'll give you a useful answer, because I know how much I know about most things.

If you ask somebody, "do you support xxx" or "is xxx a good idea" or "is xxx working?", odds are you'll get a biased or just plain wrong answer, because they may or may not know all the facts.  I expect that less than half the people in the world can provide a useful answer to half the questions of that style. 

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2006, 09:58:14 pm »
lol
I don't know if you're trying to make fun or not, but it's logical. 

If you ask somebody, "how much do you know about xxx", odds are they'll give you a useful answer, because I know how much I know about most things.

If you ask somebody, "do you support xxx" or "is xxx a good idea" or "is xxx working?", odds are you'll get a biased or just plain wrong answer, because they may or may not know all the facts.  I expect that less than half the people in the world can provide a useful answer to half the questions of that style. 
asking someone if they support something is a yes/no question, as is asking them whether or not they feel educated about a subject (even then they might feel educated but in reality might not be)