Author Topic: Contraband Product Ratings  (Read 6594 times)

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
Re: Contraband Product Ratings
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2006, 09:15:10 pm »
If selling it becomes legal, then it will be sold by companies who will probably not only sell it for less, yet not lace it with crap. There will be absolutely no point for a person to sell drugs anymore. Even if there was, the government would be sending a lot less people to jail as they'd only be sending the dealers into prison vs the users.

The dealers will be very capable at selling at lower prices.
I never said they wouldn't be capable, I just said there would be no point. There wouldn't be the same amount of money in the product. It's pretty much the same reason that you don't see anyone making their own alcohol and selling it.
Hitmen: art is gay

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2006, 10:21:47 pm »
Pirating music is only as bad as illegally fishing. :)
Well, illegal fishing is a huge problem on the east coast.  There was a big international incident about that a couple years back.

Offline Super_X

• I suck.
  • I suck!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2006, 11:31:08 pm »
If selling it becomes legal, then it will be sold by companies who will probably not only sell it for less, yet not lace it with crap. There will be absolutely no point for a person to sell drugs anymore. Even if there was, the government would be sending a lot less people to jail as they'd only be sending the dealers into prison vs the users.

The dealers will be very capable at selling at lower prices.
I never said they wouldn't be capable, I just said there would be no point. There wouldn't be the same amount of money in the product. It's pretty much the same reason that you don't see anyone making their own alcohol and selling it.
Here in Oregon there are tons of people that make their own alcohol. Also, the gov't can't really tax it (pot), because any one can grow it. That's really the reason for it to remain illegal, they can't regulate the sale of it.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2006, 11:51:02 pm »

People don't make their own alcohol because it takes great amount of efforts to make a product comparable to something that has been commercially produced.  I don't suspect the same will be true with marijuana.

In any case, either speculation is dumb to label as fact. :P

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2006, 12:27:09 am »
Also, the gov't can't really tax it (pot), because any one can grow it. That's really the reason for it to remain illegal, they can't regulate the sale of it.

But people still pay a great deal of money for it (obviously, from the topic of this thread) , so it can be taxed.

Offline Super_X

• I suck.
  • I suck!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2006, 02:19:23 am »
Also, the gov't can't really tax it (pot), because any one can grow it. That's really the reason for it to remain illegal, they can't regulate the sale of it.

But people still pay a great deal of money for it (obviously, from the topic of this thread) , so it can be taxed.

People pay a great deal of money for "Indian cigerettes" as well, they are tax free. (Yes, because they're made on reservations, but my point is it's do-able.) If it's not illegal there would be more people growing it, aswell as consumming it. Sure, some would be large companys, but many others will as well.  It would also be un-constituional to limit the growth to spacific companys insead of every one.

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2006, 03:26:36 am »

People pay a great deal of money for "Indian cigerettes" as well, they are tax free. (Yes, because they're made on reservations, but my point is it's do-able.)

Hahahaha... thanks for proving your counter-argument to be meaningless.

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2006, 04:14:09 am »

People don't make their own alcohol because it takes great amount of efforts to make a product comparable to something that has been commercially produced.  I don't suspect the same will be true with marijuana.

Okay, you seriously don't think that companies that can make it affordable, better-quality-than-your-rolled-at-home-joint, and safer will find a way to make money?

Let's talk about the buzz you get from cigarettes and how that's taken off....
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2006, 12:14:51 pm »
Okay, you seriously don't think that companies that can make it affordable, better-quality-than-your-rolled-at-home-joint, and safer will find a way to make money?

Let's talk about the buzz you get from cigarettes and how that's taken off....

I think they're capable, but like I said, I think dealers will be able to sell at lower costs. :P

And like I said...

Offline Super_X

• I suck.
  • I suck!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2006, 07:52:43 pm »

People pay a great deal of money for "Indian cigerettes" as well, they are tax free. (Yes, because they're made on reservations, but my point is it's do-able.)

Hahahaha... thanks for proving your counter-argument to be meaningless.
I was just saying it doesn't matter how legal it is, it's still possible to sell tax-free items that usually are taxed.