Author Topic: John Kerry: What a ... I dunno  (Read 7432 times)

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
John Kerry: What a ... I dunno
« on: November 01, 2006, 01:34:32 pm »
Kerry calls troops stupid:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061031/ap_on_go_pr_wh/white_house_kerry
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLuMWiQ6r2o

Kerry calls it a botched joke:
Quote from: Kerry
I can't overstress the importance of a great education. Do you know where you end up if you don't study, if you aren't smart, if you're intellectually lazy? You end up getting us stuck in a war in Iraq.

The troops' response:

Personally, I'm not sure.  Maybe it was a lame jab at Bush, maybe not.  I think saying that Bush didn't study/make an effort to be smart is a stretch, but whatever.
People say crazy things, either way wouldn't really surprise me.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Re: John Kerry: What a ... I dunno
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 01:48:13 pm »
On my first read, and subsequent reads, it sounded to me like he was making fun of Bush.  Bush got the country stuck in Iraq, the troops didn't.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 01:56:04 pm »
On my first read, and subsequent reads, it sounded to me like he was making fun of Bush.  Bush got the country stuck in Iraq, the troops didn't.
When you listen to what he said & take it just as-is, he is obviously knocking the troops.  Otherwise, yeah, if you read what was supposed to be his script/speech he is poking at Bush.

Maybe its a Freudian slip & he really believes it? ;)

Offline SNiFFeR

• Sexy
    • View Profile
    • k
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 02:14:52 pm »

I agree.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 02:18:00 pm »
When you listen to what he said & take it just as-is, he is obviously knocking the troops.  Otherwise, yeah, if you read what was supposed to be his script/speech he is poking at Bush.

Maybe he said it wrong, but there's no way a Bush supporter can hold THAT against somebody -- Bush is the king of saying the wrong thing.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2006, 02:36:36 pm »

Maybe he said it wrong, but there's no way a Bush supporter can hold THAT against somebody -- Bush is the king of saying the wrong thing.
Agreed.
But I bet it takes alot of look away from Foley

Offline Hitmen

• B&
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2006, 02:45:19 pm »
While I tend to lean just a tad liberal, and I really don't care what he said, I hope it really affects the guy's political career. He's just not exactly the kind of guy I want representing my state in the senate. Either is Kennedy, for that matter. Douchebags.
(22:15:39) Newby: it hurts to swallow

trust

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2006, 02:56:25 pm »
Sure Bush has made slipups but it's usually a mispronunciation or something, he doesn't call those out there dying for our country stupid.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2006, 03:49:29 pm »
Sure Bush has made slipups but it's usually a mispronunciation or something, he doesn't call those out there dying for our country stupid.
Read what Kerry said.  He didn't say that either, at least, not on purpose.  If he did come off that way (I'm at work, can't view the video), then I doubt it was intentional. 

But Hitmen is right, though -- Kerry sucks at life.  The democrats need somebody good if they want any respect. 

trust

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2006, 04:06:40 pm »
What Kerry actually said was:

"You know, education..if you make the most of it, study hard and you do your homework and you make an effort to be smart...you can do well, if you don't you get stuck in Iraq."

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2006, 04:13:49 pm »
What Kerry actually said was:

"You know, education..if you make the most of it, study hard and you do your homework and you make an effort to be smart...you can do well, if you don't you get stuck in Iraq."
So that's not at all saying that "dumb people get stuck in Iraq", he said "you can do well if you don't get stuck in Iraq" -- all that seems to say is that the troops in Iraq aren't given a fair chance, which doesn't seem so bad. 

How did you and Crazed have different quotes?  Like I said, I didn't watch anything, so I don't know exactly what he said.. are those two different parts?

trust

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2006, 04:16:37 pm »
Wait did you not read what I put? Kerry said "[if you don't do well in school], you get stuck in Iraq." It's cause and effect, those who don't do well in school end up in the military. It's essentially calling our military men and women uneducated.

What CrAz3D put in his quote (as shown by the bold title) is what Kerry's script said, and was what he was SUPPOSED to read. His supposed intention was to make fun of Bush, calling him uneducated and getting us "stuck in Iraq" due to his lack of education. It's funny that way as well, seeing as Kerry did worse at Yale than Bush.

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2006, 04:29:31 pm »
They are both fucktards, so I don't care much.  I want a president who didn't graduate from Yale/Harvard/etc... because his daddy has far too much money.  I want someone who graduated cause they were smart.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2006, 04:33:26 pm »
Wait did you not read what I put? Kerry said "[if you don't do well in school], you get stuck in Iraq." It's cause and effect, those who don't do well in school end up in the military. It's essentially calling our military men and women uneducated.
Yes, I did read it.  And no, that's not what he said.  Correct me if I'm wrong here, but he said, according to your quote, "[.....] you can do well.. if you don't get stuck in Iraq" and NOT, "if you don't do well, you'll get stuck in Iraq".  Or am I missing something else?  It seems to me that, in what you're saying, you're moving the "if" to the other half of the sentence, reversing the cause/effect.

What CrAz3D put in his quote (as shown by the bold title) is what Kerry's script said, and was what he was SUPPOSED to read. His supposed intention was to make fun of Bush, calling him uneducated and getting us "stuck in Iraq" due to his lack of education. It's funny that way as well, seeing as Kerry did worse at Yale than Bush.
Ah, ok.  But I disagree with his intention.  It sounded to me like he was making fun of Bush for getting the young people stuck in Iraq.  "Do you know where you end up if you don't study, if you aren't smart, if you're intellectually lazy? You end up getting us stuck in a war in Iraq." -- the soldiers didn't get themselves stuck in Iraq, Bush got them stuck in Iraq. The "us" is a very important word in that sentence.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2006, 05:14:39 pm »
I think trust's quote is a bit off...

But yeah, supposedly he was just knocking Bush, which is low but not as low as knocking the troops.  What confuses me is why even is even talking.  He isn't up for any election.  He can't be helping get other people elected since he lost the presidential race (& also sucks at speaking, obviously more so than Bush does).
Kerry, wow.

As far as people from ivy leagues that just got through because they had money, I'd like to see a hardcore America dude become president.  Just a regular dude that has the work ethic to get stuff done right.