Poll

What percent of your homework do you hand in late or not do at all?

0-1%
12 (46.2%)
1-5%
3 (11.5%)
5-10%
4 (15.4%)
10-25%
1 (3.8%)
25-50%
2 (7.7%)
Over 50%, but I still do some homework.
1 (3.8%)
I don't do homework.
3 (11.5%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Author Topic: How Often do You do Your HomeworK?  (Read 8431 times)

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
Re: How Often do You do Your HomeworK?
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2006, 12:02:06 am »
Due to me being almost purely independant study, I rarely ever have homework. In the occasion that I get some for Spanish, it's usually done, but I'm good enough on tests and quizzes that I can definately afford to say "screw it" once in a while.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2006, 12:33:54 am »
I do 100% of all of my homework. I can't sleep if I don't do homework.
The once grove of splendor,
Aforetime crowned by lilac and lily,
Lay now forevermore slender;
And all winds that liven
Silhouette a lone existence;
A leafless oak grasping at eternity.

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2006, 12:44:56 am »
I do 100% of all of my homework. I can't sleep if I don't do homework.
I thought I was the only one :O
Who gives a damn? I fuck sheep all the time.
And yes, male both ends.  There are a couple lesbians that need a two-ended dildo...My router just refuses to wear a strap-on.
(05:55:03) JoE ThE oDD: omfg good job i got a boner thinkin bout them chinese bitches
(17:54:15) Sidoh: I love cosmetology

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2006, 01:27:51 am »
I always do it, no matter how mindless the exercises are.  I'm not "involved" in many activities aside from work and school, so I have the time for it.

I just wanted to comment on this thread and I thought that this would be an appropriate quote to use.

In my freshman class CSE120 - Digital Design Fundamentals (one in which each student individually designed a basic microprocessor and wrote our own microcode), our homework grade accounted for 8% of our final grade, as was in our syllabus.  Many other students told me that they would spend 4-6 hours a night on homework for a three-day-a-week class.  I decided to typically give the homework 1.5-2 hours, which would net me about 50% completion.  I always got A's on my tests and had one of the highest grades in the class at a 93%.

Just some food for thought.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2006, 02:45:50 am »
Those 4-6 hours may have been vital to other students.  They may not have been able to digest the material without drilling it through their brains in large amounts.

Generally speaking, though, I agree.  On average, I spend 2-3 hours on homework a night.  If it came to the point where I was pressured to increase that to 4-6 on a regular basis, I would probably make the same decision you did.

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2006, 07:05:00 am »
I mostly agree with Ender.  Believing that you have been granted the right to ignore rules because you're "special" is terribly foolish... not to mention most academic integrety agreements pretty much state that you automatically flunk a class if you're caught cheating.
I never said I was special.

Speaking honesty.. how much do you pay your friend?

$5.

Per test?  How much will you collectively pay this term? :P

I've done it once.  Our homework isn't really given out per test.  A large portion of it will be on a test, but some of it is too recent to be on it.

Offline Miamiandy

• SpAm In ThE cAn
    • View Profile
    • MyHouseGeek
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2006, 08:43:19 am »
Deffinitely not enough of the time. Though I keep promising myself to do more in the future.
Want to meet someone famous?  Cut out this coupon!

|This coupon good for  \
|ONE FREE hunting        \
|expedition with            /
|Dick Cheney.             /

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2006, 08:58:56 am »
Those 4-6 hours may have been vital to other students.  They may not have been able to digest the material without drilling it through their brains in large amounts.

Generally speaking, though, I agree.  On average, I spend 2-3 hours on homework a night.  If it came to the point where I was pressured to increase that to 4-6 on a regular basis, I would probably make the same decision you did.

If I were pressured to increase to a 4-6 hour or even 2-3 hour study period, I'd just say "screw it." Honestly, I go to school seven hours a day, usually work 5+ hours a day, and would like a few hours to sit at home, post on forums, watch TV, etc, before sleeping. :)
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2006, 10:47:33 am »
During the second half of my second year of University, I had ridiculous amounts of homework/tests.  I'd be spending the better part of my evenings and weekends doing homework, plus working 24 hours/week.  It was so bad, I didn't even tell any of my friends that my birthday was coming up/here/past, I didn't have time to celebrate. 

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2006, 12:58:01 pm »

The end result of spending so much time on homework was often that they were overworked.  Few people have that much time to spend on homework from one class.

Generally I felt that if I wasn't "getting" it by the time I spent about two hours on it, more time wasn't going to help. and it was time to talk to the professor or a TA.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2006, 01:05:34 pm »
Generally I felt that if I wasn't "getting" it by the time I spent about two hours on it, more time wasn't going to help. and it was time to talk to the professor or a TA.
Yeah... I can't figure out why people will just stare at a problem for three hours and hope they'll get it.  I just tell them to go talk to their professors; they're always willing to help.
errr... something like that...

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2006, 01:33:40 pm »
The end result of spending so much time on homework was often that they were overworked.  Few people have that much time to spend on homework from one class.

Yeah... I can't figure out why people will just stare at a problem for three hours and hope they'll get it.  I just tell them to go talk to their professors; they're always willing to help.

I'm not saying that they're not "getting" it.  If it takes them three times as long to do each problem as you, they're not necessarily spending a rediculous amount of time "staring at the problem."  Maybe it just takes them longer.

Offline Krazed

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2006, 04:54:14 pm »
Lol@Ender. Get a life bro, who cares if someone else does your homework, seriously. It's fucking high school, we don't get paid for coming here, we get an education. If we feel we get a good education with another person doing part of your work, that's perfectly fine. Anyway, yeah I do like no homework, ever. It sucks, but eh, I'll still graduate, I could care less about a GPA.
It is good to be good, but it is better to be lucky.

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2006, 05:07:44 pm »
I'm not saying that they're not "getting" it.  If it takes them three times as long to do each problem as you, they're not necessarily spending a rediculous amount of time "staring at the problem."  Maybe it just takes them longer.
If that's how they want to work, they can go for it.  I'd prefer to work 20 mins with a professor explaining everything rather than work 3 hours on my own trying to hazily understand it.  Work smarter, not harder.  ;D I think the main problem is that for some reason or another, there's a stigma attached to going in for help.  If a person needs help understanding something, he's not an idiot.
errr... something like that...

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2006, 05:13:45 pm »
Lol@Ender. Get a life bro, who cares if someone else does your homework, seriously. It's fucking high school, we don't get paid for coming here, we get an education. If we feel we get a good education with another person doing part of your work, that's perfectly fine. Anyway, yeah I do like no homework, ever. It sucks, but eh, I'll still graduate, I could care less about a GPA.
But don't you need a good GPA to go to the University of your choice?
The once grove of splendor,
Aforetime crowned by lilac and lily,
Lay now forevermore slender;
And all winds that liven
Silhouette a lone existence;
A leafless oak grasping at eternity.

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus