Author Topic: Setting up a wireless router box  (Read 2453 times)

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
Setting up a wireless router box
« on: November 07, 2006, 11:31:01 pm »
I'm interested in taking the hosting of my internet connection off of a crappy Windows box unto a dedicated machine. I want the machine to be able to see all computers on the network, and all computers on the network to see it, but I don't care if the computers are able to go from one to another (it'd be nice, but I have no use). Assume the following set up:

PHONE]---[BOX]---[ WIRELESS ]   }}}}                         {{{{  [General other computers]
                 [ ROUTER   ]   }}}}                         {{{{

The machine will be one that rabbit is handing out. Generally "horrible" specs by Windows standards, and "nice and cosy" for Linux users, which I'd plan on using. It all boils down to if it has a winmodem or hardware modem (I now have a job, so I can buy one, of course!).

I'd like to set up a distribution of Linux that can be run several days, months, and in theory, years (power outtages and general reasons will keep it from reaching that, of course) without ANY user interferance at all, except after power outtages or whatever. It needs to simply dial out, maintain that connection (redial after connection drop would be nice), accept incoming connections on that line and route them (I may set him up with a web server, so I need to be able to set :80 to localhost, etc, and then the leftover * to 192.168.1.1), and then maintain connection and share the internet connection with the router, which is responsible for acting as a gateway to the other computers.

So, assume the box I get from rabbit has NOTHING on it at all. What do I do from there?
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
Re: Setting up a wireless router box
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2006, 11:49:48 pm »
Uhh, is the box a WAP / router, or is it just a router? From the looks of it, it looks like it's just a router.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 11:16:50 am »
WAP?

It connects to the internet and has an ethernet cable going to a wireless router. Nothing will be connected to that, save maybe one computer sitting next to it. Most computers will just be wireless.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2006, 06:01:18 pm »
Wireless access point.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2006, 11:10:57 pm »
Then a WAP, I guess. I need to dial out and maintain a connection with a router, which will route, and is wireless.

Offline Nate

• You all suck
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2006, 10:36:40 pm »
You are sharing a dial-up connection to multiple computers?

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2006, 05:44:22 am »
You are sharing a dial-up connection to multiple computers?

Mm-hmm.