Author Topic: How Good is the iPod Warranty?  (Read 3915 times)

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
How Good is the iPod Warranty?
« on: November 12, 2006, 07:10:05 pm »
Would they replace say, a 4G iPod someone* bought used off eBay (and registered at Apple's site) which has a faulty harddrive resulting in the failure to play any audio at all?

*I

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
Re: How Good is the iPod Warranty?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2006, 07:23:33 pm »
As long as the warranty is still valid (1 year after purchace) and the damage wasn't apparantly cuased by some sort of intentional desctruction, then yeah.  I'd say so.

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2006, 08:21:19 pm »
MY purchase, or original purpose?

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2006, 08:30:41 pm »
MY purchase, or original purpose?

I have no idea if the warranty extends past the device's first owner.  You'd have to read the fine print on Apple's warranty for that.  Check on their website.  I'm sure they have a copy lying around somewhere.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2006, 08:46:50 pm »
Original purchase. If it wasn't, I could "sell" my junk ass 2nd generation iPod to a friend, they could get it replaced, and I could ask for it back.

They'll fix any iPod. It'll just cost you a bundle if it isn't under warranty. :P
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2006, 09:33:58 pm »
Arg.  Screw that.  I'll save for a 6G before I pay to replace my 4G :\

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2006, 09:36:14 pm »
Original purchase. If it wasn't, I could "sell" my junk ass 2nd generation iPod to a friend, they could get it replaced, and I could ask for it back.

They'll fix any iPod. It'll just cost you a bundle if it isn't under warranty. :P

iPod warranties expire after a year.  When they replace an iPod, you ship them the old one and they ship you a new one.  You'll have to be more clever then that to con a company like Apple, I'm afraid.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2006, 09:43:46 pm »
iPod warranties expire after a year.  When they replace an iPod, you ship them the old one and they ship you a new one.  You'll have to be more clever then that to con a company like Apple, I'm afraid.

I know that. "I could ask for it back" meant I could get the new working one. I didn't actually mean "sell" hence why I put it in quotes. It was more of a "here, give me some money, i give you an iPod, get it fixed under warranty, all is good."
- Newby

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2006, 11:01:55 pm »
I know that. "I could ask for it back" meant I could get the new working one. I didn't actually mean "sell" hence why I put it in quotes. It was more of a "here, give me some money, i give you an iPod, get it fixed under warranty, all is good."

The warranty expires after a year of purchasing the thing.  Why would you want to give it to your friend so they could do it for you?  I'm questioning the existence of the ability for the warranty to extend past one owner, not an extension that manifests itself when the iPod is given away, sold, etc.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2006, 11:31:37 pm »
The warranty expires after a year of purchasing the thing.  Why would you want to give it to your friend so they could do it for you?  I'm questioning the existence of the ability for the warranty to extend past one owner, not an extension that manifests itself when the iPod is given away, sold, etc.

Ahhh, ok.
- Newby

trust

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2006, 06:56:28 pm »
The warranty applies to the iPod, not the owner of the iPod. They'll fix it.

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2006, 07:08:31 pm »
But is a 4G less than a year old?