Author Topic: Declaration of Interdependence  (Read 5697 times)

Offline Ender

• x86
    • View Profile
Declaration of Interdependence
« on: November 13, 2006, 08:47:37 pm »
Proposition: to integrate with non-nerds at our schools by either socializing with them or recruiting them as our friends for a day.

Would be interesting, eh?

Offline Kaleeko

• Female Nerdz0r
  • Just let him in the fridge already!
    • View Profile
    • Kaleeko's DeviantART
Re: Declaration of Interdependence
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 09:33:20 pm »
Would be interesting if you could find someone willing.

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006, 11:01:17 pm »
Proposition: to integrate with non-nerds at our schools by either socializing with them or recruiting them as our friends for a day.

I kind of have to do that every day.. I have three classes where the majority of the people are extremely stupid and not nerdy [but socializing with them is forced upon me by the teacher].  One of them is a bit borderline, but I wouldn't place my entire physics class as intellectuals.  :\  Not to mention all the shit I get from all the other members of the football team for being in math club, mock trial, and other stuff that requires thinking as opposed to lifting weights.

Do I get a prize if I document it? :D
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2006, 07:06:06 am »
Only if the documentary gets an Emmy (or whatever the hell a documentary can get) and shows up on OnDemand.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2006, 11:26:48 am »
I am friends with a lot of non-technical people.  It's not that big of a deal..

Offline Furious

• I hate rabbits
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2006, 12:29:25 pm »

We are all "nerds" to someone.  I may call someone a nerd because they know five different programming languages very well, or because they stay after school to help the teachers grade papers.  Someone may call me a nerd because I spend a lot of time on the computer - regardless of what I'm doing, or because I know more about cars then they do.  I think what you're trying to do happens everyday,  I've been good friends with many people who excel in sciences, maths and plenty of people who are very knowledgeable in many aspects of computers.
[23:04:34] <deadly7[x86]> Newby[x86]
[23:04:35] <deadly7[x86]> YOU ARE AN EMO
[23:04:39] <Newby[x86]> shush it woman

[17:53:31] InsaneJoey[e2] was banned by x86 (GO EAT A BAG OF FUCK ASSHOLE (randomban)).

Quote from: Ergot
Put it this way Joe... you're on my Buddy List... if there's no one else on an you're the only one, I'd rather talk to myself.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2006, 12:42:54 pm »
We are all "nerds" to someone.  I may call someone a nerd because they know five different programming languages very well, or because they stay after school to help the teachers grade papers.  Someone may call me a nerd because I spend a lot of time on the computer - regardless of what I'm doing, or because I know more about cars then they do.  I think what you're trying to do happens everyday,  I've been good friends with many people who excel in sciences, maths and plenty of people who are very knowledgeable in many aspects of computers.

Generally speaking, I agree with you.  I think there are people who aren't viewed as nerds by anyone (a jock who's barely scraping by, for example), but you don't have to be good at math and pop a boner when you see a rotational mechanics problem to be considered a nerd.

I definitely agree with all of you that say this already happens, because it does.  One of my best friends in highschool was on the football team, got second at state in wrestling (almost first.  the guy barely beat him) and had a wide variety of interests.  In any case, he was not a nerd in the context we're using the word and I hung out with him every day.  I mingled with other people in my school that weren't nerds... it's just not that big of a deal.

I think cliques in your school are too defined. :P

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2006, 04:09:33 pm »
I think cliques in your school are too defined. :P
That is exactly what I was thinking. I have friends who aren't "nerds"

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2006, 04:55:17 pm »
I think we're a very cliquey area.

All of my friends have been or are in band.  There are VERY few people I hang with (like 2 off the top of my head) that aren't, and they aren't even really close friends.  Its weird that way.

Offline Ender

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2006, 07:33:22 pm »
Hmm, I don't know what to make of my school's social situation. What I do know is that I'm in a close-knit group of friends that is in some ways (such as hanging out, AIM, etc.) isolated from the rest of the school and in some ways not (like being friendly during class).

Anyways, we're the ones that sometimes do math problems and talk about philosophy and such during lunch for fun. We're also the core body of Seniors in math team, chess team, and science team.

The Freshmen are pretty weird though... they're nerdy and popular... It's interesting to see how different grades can be so... different.

Oh, and I did sit with a relatively new group at lunch today. It was a social success ;) Although, they were also nerds; nerds from different grades.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2006, 07:35:21 pm by Ender »

Offline Mythix

• The Dude
  • x86
  • Victory
    • View Profile
    • Dark-Wire
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2006, 05:48:54 pm »
Not a whole lot of cliques when you go to a high school with under 100 kids. I was borderline though I was a Jr. Network Admin and I also played sports and did band and such all four years.
Philosophy, n. A route of many roads leading from nowhere to nothing.

- Ambrose Bierce

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2006, 10:52:50 pm »
Hmm, I don't know what to make of my school's social situation. What I do know is that I'm in a close-knit group of friends that is in some ways (such as hanging out, AIM, etc.) isolated from the rest of the school and in some ways not (like being friendly during class).

Anyways, we're the ones that sometimes do math problems and talk about philosophy and such during lunch for fun. We're also the core body of Seniors in math team, chess team, and science team.

The Freshmen are pretty weird though... they're nerdy and popular... It's interesting to see how different grades can be so... different.

Oh, and I did sit with a relatively new group at lunch today. It was a social success ;) Although, they were also nerds; nerds from different grades.
Hahaha.  My group of friends is exactly the same way.  Except for one or two people, we're all relatively close-knit and friendly towards each other and not the rest of the school.  We are also quite contemptuous in that we think of those with no ambition or those that just are plain annoying to be with in class [or outside of it] as morons.

Our discussions usually involve world domination, science [we discussed, for an entire lunch, white phosphorous one day].  Only two of my friends are on the math team, though.  One of them just flat out doesn't want to join because it cuts away from his video game time.. and a couple of them keep forgetting.  My friends and I, for the most part, had made up the math team.  And then a bunch of Asians invaded.  Now we're actually relatively good!

The nerdy freshmen are those that I just want to pound on so much more than the others.  All the freshmen at my school are, quite honestly, annoying as all hell.  Most of those kids I've known for three to four years and so I've gotten to know them enough to realize I don't like them.

Speaking of people that sat with new groups... my cousin sat with me at lunch.  He's one of the freshmen I talked about, except he's not even close to smart enough to be considered nerdy, and his computer talent is equivalent to my dad's (and my dad hadn't seen a computer until this year.. he's in his fifties).
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2006, 08:16:31 am »
Hahaha.  My group of friends is exactly the same way.  Except for one or two people, we're all relatively close-knit and friendly towards each other and not the rest of the school.  We are also quite contemptuous in that we think of those with no ambition or those that just are plain annoying to be with in class [or outside of it] as morons.
I used to have somewhat of an attitude like that, but as I grew up I realized that I'd be pretty lonely if I stayed thinking that way.  So I'm now tolerant of a lot more people.  Especially when you're working or on a team or at a social event, unless you accept other people for who they are, you are always going to be an outsider.

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2006, 06:18:57 pm »
I used to have somewhat of an attitude like that, but as I grew up I realized that I'd be pretty lonely if I stayed thinking that way.  So I'm now tolerant of a lot more people.  Especially when you're working or on a team or at a social event, unless you accept other people for who they are, you are always going to be an outsider.
You'd think differently if you knew the people at my school.  They make five year olds going to kindergarten for the first time look like the youngins are more ambitious.

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed

Offline Krazed

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2006, 09:18:29 am »
I think you need to get some friends. If you write a document about being friends with non-nerds, you are a complete loser.
It is good to be good, but it is better to be lucky.