Author Topic: Declaration of Interdependence  (Read 5702 times)

Offline Ender

• x86
    • View Profile
Re: Declaration of Interdependence
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2006, 05:46:06 pm »
Actually, I have many friends. But they are all nerds. That was a baseless assumption.

The point of this thread is that I believe that the integration of different social strata would be beneficial to a social environment. People are more than the stereotypes that their images portray, whether it be socially, economically, or ethnically. Social interaction in high school is often preluded by the tacit agreement that two people's images are in accordance. These images are nothing more than simulacra.

Yet as we all know, groups divided remain divided unless acted upon by a force ;) The first step could be joining a different table than the one you normally sit at during lunch.

EDIT: I got to use the word "normally". Yes!
EDIT2: Made the Newton reference sound better.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 06:10:04 pm by Ender »

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2006, 06:27:30 pm »
*grumbles about people relating Newton's laws to social environments...*

I still think cliques in your school are defined more than the average one.  It could be because the several schools I attended were small (less than 300 students), though.  That seems to be one of the main advantages to smaller schools.

Offline Ender

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2006, 07:09:19 pm »
On the contrary, I don't think cliques are a problem at my school. I think my school has a very pleasant social environment -- much more than other schools I've seen. For instance, I visited my cousin's school and the social environment is very cliquey and snobby. If my observations don't provide enough evidence then my cousin's persistent complaints corroborate this opinion.

In my school there's basically just normal people and weird people, and I'm one of the weird people. The idea is to share our weirdness with normal people. Maybe infect them ;)

EDIT:

The above was probably an abuse of sarcasm and humor. I'll be more clear and say that I'm very friendly with people outside my social group every day in school. We talk regularly, we work in groups, etc. But we never hang out together or instant message eachother. So we don't get to share our lives with eachother -- that's the crux of it.

In a sense, what I am saying that there are many people around you who have the potential to be your close friend but never ends up being one. This can be because you don't share a common interest intensely enough to immediately befriend eachother on that basis. Or because you never sat next to eachother in a class. All of these are trivial circumstances that should create neither boundaries nor barriers.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 07:15:00 pm by Ender »

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2006, 04:07:34 am »
So you're saying we should spend immense amounts of time making an effort to thoroughly introduce ourselves to people, just so we can verify that we aren't losing the potential for a long lasting friendly relationship?

Sorry, but I think that's stupid.  Unless you need more friends, I don't suggest you spend great amounts of time getting to know everyone in your school.