Author Topic: Wii  (Read 13309 times)

trust

Wii
« on: November 16, 2006, 08:29:22 pm »
Who's excited about it? I am. I'm considering getting one Sunday since I'm off work and camping out wouldn't be a problem. On the other hand I think I'd rather have the black one and I'm really curious how it plays games like Call of Duty III graphics wise because that's definitely a game I'd get asap.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Re: Wii
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 08:31:34 pm »
Of all the modern systems, it's the most appealing to me.  But I'm not a first-buyer person, I like to wait a couple months till they've seen a lot of action and have dropped in price a little

Offline Miamiandy

• SpAm In ThE cAn
    • View Profile
    • MyHouseGeek
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 08:39:31 pm »
It is the most appealing to me. However I can't and am not willing to spend a few days camping out. Do you know if the stores are opening at midnight for the release or just at their usual noon on Sunday?
Want to meet someone famous?  Cut out this coupon!

|This coupon good for  \
|ONE FREE hunting        \
|expedition with            /
|Dick Cheney.             /

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 08:55:08 pm »
I can't say I'm excited about any of these next-gen consoles.   :-\
errr... something like that...

Offline Miamiandy

• SpAm In ThE cAn
    • View Profile
    • MyHouseGeek
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 08:59:20 pm »
Eh, none are the best. However, the Wii is the only one with something new. The others just boost what already is there: bigger processor, bigger hard drive, bigger graphics card, bigger disk capacity, etc.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 09:04:36 pm by Miamiandy »

|This coupon good for  \

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

trust

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 09:03:51 pm »
It is the most appealing to me. However I can't and am not willing to spend a few days camping out. Do you know if the stores are opening at midnight for the release or just at their usual noon on Sunday?

It depends on the store. Wal-Mart is having a midnight release and Best Buy is opening at 8am. There's going to be plenty of units so camping out for a few days isn't necessary I don't think. If I decide to get it launch day I'll just go to wal-mart at like 11pm and take my ipod and just walk around for an hour or so and buy the console.

My only real reason for buying it now and not like..asking for it for Christmas or something is because I want to play over Thanksgiving break.

Offline Miamiandy

• SpAm In ThE cAn
    • View Profile
    • MyHouseGeek
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2006, 09:05:40 pm »
Same, I want to have it for Thanksgiving. Although when I will be able to play it during that weekend I do not know.

P.S.
Just found this article:
http://www.joystiq.com/2006/11/16/many-wii-online-functions-not-ready-for-launch/
Apparently many of the Wii's online functions aren't ready for launch.

|This coupon good for  \

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Offline Mythix

• The Dude
  • x86
  • Victory
    • View Profile
    • Dark-Wire
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2006, 09:22:36 pm »
That was known ahead of time going into release that a lot of their online content would be a couple of months before it started making it's way to mainstream audiences. As of right now Bestbuy and Wal-mart will carry a 20 minimum from what I've seen for release day. Still far off better then PS3 but they'll go quickly as an alternative.
Philosophy, n. A route of many roads leading from nowhere to nothing.

- Ambrose Bierce

Offline Miamiandy

• SpAm In ThE cAn
    • View Profile
    • MyHouseGeek
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2006, 09:35:58 pm »
http://wii.clambert.org/

This will tell you how many a target near you will have.
The one nearest me will have 81. Target always seems to get gigantic shipments on release day. Who knows why.

Do you think I should get the warranty if the offer it and if so for how long?

|This coupon good for  \

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Offline Mythix

• The Dude
  • x86
  • Victory
    • View Profile
    • Dark-Wire
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2006, 09:41:55 pm »
Some are based on store agreements and depending on how many stores they have to split a % of the total cargo with. Insurance on anything new especially a next-generation-console I would strongly advise. No matter how many hours of testing and testing theres always a chance of something backfiring on the initial release. That's just my two cents though.

- Ambrose Bierce

Offline Furious

• I hate rabbits
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2006, 09:46:06 pm »

The one nearest me will have 81. Target always seems to get gigantic shipments on release day. Who knows why.

Yes, it's a new system and there will be plenty that can / will go wrong with it.  Get it for whatever the longest is.
[23:04:34] <deadly7[x86]> Newby[x86]
[23:04:35] <deadly7[x86]> YOU ARE AN EMO
[23:04:39] <Newby[x86]> shush it woman

[17:53:31] InsaneJoey[e2] was banned by x86 (GO EAT A BAG OF FUCK ASSHOLE (randomban)).

Quote from: Ergot
Put it this way Joe... you're on my Buddy List... if there's no one else on an you're the only one, I'd rather talk to myself.

Offline BigAznDaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2006, 09:46:43 pm »
I can't say I'm excited about any of these next-gen consoles.   :-\
Yeah same here, I think I will stick with my PC. seeing that I can download free games, movies, and such.

Offline Miamiandy

• SpAm In ThE cAn
    • View Profile
    • MyHouseGeek
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2006, 09:50:56 pm »
Yea, but there is a three month manufactures warranty which will pretty much cover any hardware glitches. Following that issues should appear for at least a year. That is important because I don't think target has warranties. Which is why I am wondering, I mean if i buy it from circuit city or best buy of course I'll get it but should I only buy at places with warranties because of that?

|This coupon good for  \

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Offline dark_drake

• x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2006, 09:52:27 pm »

Yes, it's a new system and there will be plenty that can / will go wrong with it.  Get it for whatever the longest is.
IIRC Nintendo has a warranty on all their products.  I've never had a problem with a nintendo system, though.  Also, I know of no one that has ever had a problem with a Nintendo product unless they did it themselves (breaking off the disc cover on their Gamecube is hardly a product defect).

Offline Mythix

• The Dude
  • x86
  • Victory
    • View Profile
    • Dark-Wire
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2006, 09:53:23 pm »
I'm primarily excited to test out what kind of features and what kind of newer ideas the Wii will create when it comes to controller enhancements and combining the motion sensors with video game play. This is pretty cheap for a new generation console not to mention it does have a decent amount of games on launch. Excite truck, Zelda, Ultimate Alliance, Sports bundle. I honestly can't wait to test it out I think Nintendo will make a huge comeback to audiences everywhere with this system.

- Ambrose Bierce

Offline Miamiandy

• SpAm In ThE cAn
    • View Profile
    • MyHouseGeek
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2006, 09:56:47 pm »
IIRC Nintendo has a warranty on all their products.  I've never had a problem with a nintendo system, though.  Also, I know of no one that has ever had a problem with a Nintendo product unless they did it themselves (breaking off the disc cover on their Gamecube is hardly a product defect).

That was my logic. Nintendo prides themselves in incredibly low defect rates. Unlike the xBox which has a decent rate and the PS2 which was down right horrible, the Gamecube for instance had a rate that was incredibly low. I mean even back to the NES Nintendo promised rates lower than I think it was .01% on all software and hardware released by them. And third party cartridges since they still manufactured them all at that time.

I'm primarily excited to test out what kind of features and what kind of newer ideas the Wii will create when it comes to controller enhancements and combining the motion sensors with video game play. This is pretty cheap for a new generation console not to mention it does have a decent amount of games on launch. Excite truck, Zelda, Ultimate Alliance, Sports bundle. I honestly can't wait to test it out I think Nintendo will make a huge comeback to audiences everywhere with this system.
I couldn't agree more. Nintendo always tried the unique approach and it seems to work best for them. Pretend the gamecube isn't in the picture.

|This coupon good for  \

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2006, 09:58:44 pm »
How much Wii can I get for $4.88?  I need to call Home Depot on Saturday about my application (arg).

Offline Miamiandy

• SpAm In ThE cAn
    • View Profile
    • MyHouseGeek
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2006, 10:00:10 pm »
For $4.88, you can get the batteries that are included for the "Wiimote" and nunchuck.

|This coupon good for  \

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Offline Mythix

• The Dude
  • x86
  • Victory
    • View Profile
    • Dark-Wire
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2006, 10:06:27 pm »
Or you should buy some lipstick rabbit and earn your Wii a bit faster on the street corner.

- Ambrose Bierce

Offline Miamiandy

• SpAm In ThE cAn
    • View Profile
    • MyHouseGeek
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2006, 10:13:09 pm »
That might work too. I think I'll be staying inside for the next few weeks though.

|This coupon good for  \

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Offline dark_drake

• x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2006, 10:21:05 pm »
I couldn't agree more. Nintendo always tried the unique approach and it seems to work best for them. Pretend the gamecube isn't in the picture.
The little discs are frikkin' awesome and unique!

trust

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2006, 10:28:58 pm »
Nintendo has a very low rate of initial shipment defects. I doubt I'll get any warranty. Maybe mine will break though so I can return it for a black one. ;)

I still don't know if I want to drop almost $300 on Sunday, and turn around and spend another $180 for indoor lacrosse (my mom refuses to pay since I only went to like 4 summer lax games.)

It will probably depend on how large my paycheck is tomorrow.

My main concern is the graphics though, but I don't think they're going to be as bad as everyone thinks. I'm no gaming fanatic so it's not really a big deal to me...I'm fine with the graphics rendered with my ati radeon 9200+ on my computer, so...

As long as it gives me decent models in CoD, Zelda, and Madden I'm fine. My TV is nice too so hopefully that will help. I'm hoping with the online thing Nintendo can update stuff from that adding to it being a console that will last a while. This is something I want so that I can take the Wii with me to college.

The main seller for me is FREE online gameplay.

Edit: And the big question is should I just spend the extra $100 and get the 360?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 10:34:07 pm by OG Trust »

Offline Miamiandy

• SpAm In ThE cAn
    • View Profile
    • MyHouseGeek
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2006, 10:42:45 pm »
Its graphics are supposedly a tiny bit better than the original xbox.

|This coupon good for  \

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

trust

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2006, 02:32:26 am »
Wal-Mart had 25 in but the manager was nice enough to tell us so those in line wouldn't have to wait for nothing. (We were 26 and 27.) We had just gotten there though and it was about 5:30 so we left and drove to Toys R' Us. The guy told me they had a big surplus and will start selling them at 10AM and if we get there between 10AM and 1PM we should be able to get one.

Then we went to Super K-Mart; they had 10. We were 4th and 5th in line. They required a bundle of 2 games or 1 game and 1 accessory. Chris and I both got a game (Madden/Zelda) and an extra Wii Remote.

Camping out actully wasn't that bad, but it was only 4 hours. (6-10, then they let us go home until 12) We just listened to my iPod and watched part of a movie on my dvd player, I did homework and stuff too.

Both of them are on eBay, and I'm going to get a 3rd from Toys R' Us in the morning.

Offline Furious

• I hate rabbits
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2006, 08:56:53 am »
You put the Wii on eBay?  I don't you'll have as much luck as the people selling the PS3s.

[17:53:31] InsaneJoey[e2] was banned by x86 (GO EAT A BAG OF FUCK ASSHOLE (randomban)).

Put it this way Joe... you're on my Buddy List... if there's no one else on an you're the only one, I'd rather talk to myself.

trust

« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2006, 09:36:10 am »
You put the Wii on eBay?  I don't you'll have as much luck as the people selling the PS3s.

As long as I double.

Offline Furious

• I hate rabbits
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2006, 09:41:25 am »
*sigh*

I'm not going to go into how I feel about people doing that on eBay.

trust

« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2006, 09:47:37 am »
Supply and demand, man.

Nintendo sent out alot of units, but there was also a demand. The store I was at only had 10. Some on eBay are selling for like $750 and all it comes with is a game. I'm including the Wii, a game (either Zelda or Madden) and the Wii controller.

I want to play it pretty badly though, so I'm thinking about going up to Toys R' Us on Military Hwy and getting another one. They told me they'd have alot when doors opened at 10.

Bundle w/ Zelda and Wii Remote

Bundle  w/ Madden and Wii Remote

Offline Furious

• I hate rabbits
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2006, 09:55:15 am »
Supply and demand, man.

Nintendo sent out alot of units, but there was also a demand. The store I was at only had 10. Some on eBay are selling for like $750 and all it comes with is a game. I'm including the Wii, a game (either Zelda or Madden) and the Wii controller.

I want to play it pretty badly though, so I'm thinking about going up to Toys R' Us on Military Hwy and getting another one. They told me they'd have alot when doors opened at 10.

I know why the prices are up there, I just think it's wrong.

trust

« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2006, 10:40:32 am »
The guy who referenced in my last post ended up selling it for $1,000.

I doubt I'll get that much, but I would like to. For that reason I invested in making my auctions featured.

Total spent on Wii stuff: ~$712
Total spent on auction: ~80

Offline Mythix

• The Dude
  • x86
  • Victory
    • View Profile
    • Dark-Wire
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2006, 01:00:04 pm »
Supply and demand, man.

I know why the prices are up there, I just think it's wrong.

I agree, it's the same exact thing as scalping tickets to some sporting event. If people are desperate enough to pay it then I guess they don't mind shelling out several extra hundred dollars for it.

- Ambrose Bierce

trust

« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2006, 01:01:57 pm »
Every place is sold out. I got to Toys R' Us at about 11:30 and they had sold all 50.

Oh well, I guess I'm without a personal one until they send out a new shipment. :(

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2006, 01:03:14 pm »
I agree, it's the same exact thing as scalping tickets to some sporting event. If people are desperate enough to pay it then I guess they don't mind shelling out several extra hundred dollars for it.

It's also similar to buying stocks and selling them when they're worth more, but I agree this is much more annoying.  

Offline Mythix

• The Dude
  • x86
  • Victory
    • View Profile
    • Dark-Wire
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2006, 01:13:13 pm »

It's also similar to buying stocks and selling them when they're worth more, but I agree this is much more annoying. 

Comparable yes, but I'd consider this as a "I know i'm gonna make a bookoo load of cash". So it's like being married to the Dow Jones and rolling over in the morning going, hey baby, I'm gonna be rich.

- Ambrose Bierce

trust

« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2006, 01:51:26 pm »
Maybe not. Less than 13 hours left and no substantial bids. (Someone bid a max of $10...wtf is that?)

These better sell (or at least one for a good amount) because paying for a featured ad is expensive!

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2006, 02:10:39 pm »
I'm thinking about buying one off of you, Trust. I'll keep you informed. ;)
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2006, 02:12:57 pm »
Maybe not. Less than 13 hours left and no substantial bids. (Someone bid a max of $10...wtf is that?)

These better sell (or at least one for a good amount) because paying for a featured ad is expensive!

It's usually a waste of time to bid on things before there isn't much time left in the auction.  The prices will probably go way up toward the end, but I'm doubtful you'll be swimming in cash afterwards.

trust

« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2006, 02:30:17 pm »

It's usually a waste of time to bid on things before there isn't much time left in the auction.  The prices will probably go way up toward the end, but I'm doubtful you'll be swimming in cash afterwards.

I doubt it as well, but sitting in a chair for 4 hours isn't a bad tradeoff for even $100 dollar profit, imo. If I had been home I'd have been sitting in a chair on the computer playing Counter Strike or something so it's no big. :P

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2006, 02:50:17 pm »
I have discussed this (with myself) and I think that it's not right to do this. You're depriving people who actually want the system and setting a ridiculous price. Then again, I think people are stupid to buy it for that much on eBay instead of just waiting.
Who gives a damn? I fuck sheep all the time.
And yes, male both ends.  There are a couple lesbians that need a two-ended dildo...My router just refuses to wear a strap-on.
(05:55:03) JoE ThE oDD: omfg good job i got a boner thinkin bout them chinese bitches
(17:54:15) Sidoh: I love cosmetology

trust

« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2006, 03:06:08 pm »
I have discussed this (with myself) and I think that it's not right to do this. You're depriving people who actually want the system and setting a ridiculous price. Then again, I think people are stupid to buy it for that much on eBay instead of just waiting.

I actually want the system. But I also want a 360, PS3, etc. Maybe I'll be able to get all 3 now?

Offline Mythix

• The Dude
  • x86
  • Victory
    • View Profile
    • Dark-Wire
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2006, 06:52:31 pm »
It's good to have a variety of systems to play, but that many high-end systems at once? Where's it end at.

- Ambrose Bierce

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2006, 06:56:01 pm »
It's good to have a variety of systems to play, but that many high-end systems at once? Where's it end at.

When you run out of systems to buy?

Looks like you're in the clear, Trust.  Not bad.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 06:57:38 pm by Sidoh »

trust

« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2006, 07:12:44 pm »
No I'm not. As of now neither system will sell.

Offline Furious

• I hate rabbits
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2006, 09:00:38 pm »

My thoughts exactly.  Hell, he could have bought the last one from wherever and the person behind him may have actually wanted to get it to give to their child or go home and play - but hey, being greedy is what Americans are known for right?

trust

« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2006, 09:03:39 pm »
If they wanted it that bad they would have gotten there earlier.

I'm really considering taking down one of my auctions though so I can play. As it is now I won't make much profit. This afternoon they were averaging 600-1000, now they're 300-600. In order to break even I need to sell each system for roughly $400. Preferably, I'd like to fully break even ($800) and have money left over to buy my own Wii. (So I need to sell each one for $525.)

Offline Furious

• I hate rabbits
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2006, 09:35:46 pm »
If they wanted it that bad they would have gotten there earlier.

I'm really considering taking down one of my auctions though so I can play. As it is now I won't make much profit. This afternoon they were averaging 600-1000, now they're 300-600. In order to break even I need to sell each system for roughly $400. Preferably, I'd like to fully break even ($800) and have money left over to buy my own Wii. (So I need to sell each one for $525.)

Some people do have children and/or jobs and don't have the time to spend 8hrs waiting for something like this to come out.  Hopefully at Christmas you still have two Wiis.

trust

« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2006, 10:26:09 pm »
They could preorder. And it is dependent of where you went, definitely. At Super Kmart there were 10 Wii's, the final seat was filled about 7pm or maybe 7:30 i'd say.They handed out tickets at 10, so that's not a long wait. The 10th seed was actually a man and wife I guess (maybe gf?) and their newborn. And for those that couldnt wait, I'm here to serve them. :)

trust

« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2006, 03:44:27 am »
Damn! The high bid was 510 for one and 368 for the other. I'm not going to risk it and relist and I'm just going to keep the other one. My alarm didn't wake me up and I slept through the auctions end so I couldn't bump the bid up over the $500 reserve. It sucks because that's only $74 in profit.

Offline dark_drake

• x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2006, 03:46:04 am »
Damn! The high bid was 510 for one and 368 for the other. I'm not going to risk it and relist and I'm just going to keep the other one. My alarm didn't wake me up and I slept through the auctions end so I couldn't bump the bid up over the $500 reserve. It sucks because that's only $74 in profit.
You don't find anything unethical about that?

trust

« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2006, 04:31:52 am »
No because the guy that bid $368 probably had a max bid of over $500 but he couldn't win it because there was a reserve.

Offline dark_drake

• x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2006, 04:53:22 am »
No because the guy that bid $368 probably had a max bid of over $500 but he couldn't win it because there was a reserve.
Ah... so you were going to jack the price up for his benefit?