Author Topic: PS3 frenzy  (Read 8004 times)

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
Re: PS3 frenzy
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2006, 06:48:49 pm »
Yes, Sony originally announced like 2.2million+ were to be shipped to the united states. We ended up getting 400k copies and part of that bulk shipment went to Canada. So not only did we get stiffed again on the would have should have. That's that much longer most people will have to wait to get their hands on it. Last I heard Sony didn't plan on releasing another shipment out until after march of 07.
From what I understand, Sony is shipping 100,000 units a week until Christmas. I could be wrong, though.  I don't personally care.  Anything over $200 on a system is too much for me; I'll just wait until the game system drops in price.  :-\
errr... something like that...

Offline Miamiandy

• SpAm In ThE cAn
    • View Profile
    • MyHouseGeek
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2006, 07:00:35 pm »
Yes, there was a shortage when 360s came too. However there wasn't only a 1/6th of the promisted count shipped.
Want to meet someone famous?  Cut out this coupon!

|This coupon good for  \
|ONE FREE hunting        \
|expedition with            /
|Dick Cheney.             /

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2006, 07:52:35 pm »
Yes, there was a shortage when 360s came too. However there wasn't only a 1/6th of the promisted count shipped.

Sony admitted it would be cutting the number shipped... the XBox 360's "1/6th shortage" wasn't exactly an accident. I think it worked quite well, as for the next couple of months all I heard about was "omg xbox 360" "wow i need an xbox 360" "I GOT 2 I AM SEELING ONE ON EBAY FOR $1000!!!!!"

If Sony is trying to do the same, well, I guess you have to emulate to beat. :(
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2006, 08:00:16 pm »

Sony admitted it would be cutting the number shipped... the XBox 360's "1/6th shortage" wasn't exactly an accident. I think it worked quite well, as for the next couple of months all I heard about was "omg xbox 360" "wow i need an xbox 360" "I GOT 2 I AM SEELING ONE ON EBAY FOR $1000!!!!!"

If Sony is trying to do the same, well, I guess you have to emulate to beat. :(
Didn't Sony's PS2 start this tradition?
errr... something like that...

Offline Miamiandy

• SpAm In ThE cAn
    • View Profile
    • MyHouseGeek
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2006, 09:32:44 pm »
Most popular high in demand devices have shortages when release because of too high a demand. However, Sony uses excessive shortages to keep hype up. Which I actually think is a trick it learned from Nintendo from a while back.

|This coupon good for  \

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2006, 12:31:24 am »
Most popular high in demand devices have shortages when release because of too high a demand. However, Sony uses excessive shortages to keep hype up. Which I actually think is a trick it learned from Nintendo from a while back.

Uhh, what do you think my post was about? I think the XBox 360 was the only recent device in the last ten years that had a huge shortage that caused the device to be sold for 3-4x its original price on eBay.

Of course, I never really paid attention to the release of the PS2, Gamecube, or previous devices, so...
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2006, 07:55:09 am »
PS2's were selling for $2000 on eBay at launch.  PS3's are already up to $3000 and $4000.

trust

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2006, 09:06:48 am »
I'm attempting to get a Wii tonight. I wonder if I'll be able to sell it on eBay, I know people were selling their preordered ones for like $600.

Offline Miamiandy

• SpAm In ThE cAn
    • View Profile
    • MyHouseGeek
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2006, 11:04:48 am »
One PS3 sold for like $15000 on Ebay. I don't think Wii's will have the same spike.

|This coupon good for  \

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

trust

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2006, 04:30:47 pm »
My friend is going with me. We went by Wal-Mart earlier today and like 18 people were in line, about an hour ago the line was still about the same. It's a midnight release so we're going to go up there about 5:30; so hopefully there's still room left. I'm giving him the money to buy one for me so I'll have two, I'm either going to sell both or sell one and keep the other. I'm not sure yet.

Either way I'm excited just to camp out for a launch day system. If I dont get one at Wal-Mart I'm just going to get in line at Target which is across the street.

Offline Miamiandy

• SpAm In ThE cAn
    • View Profile
    • MyHouseGeek
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2006, 05:43:03 pm »
I'll go tomorrow to places not open till midnight. If Best Buy, the Target above it, the CompUSA down the block, or the Circuit City down the block from that.

|This coupon good for  \

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Offline Mythix

• The Dude
  • x86
  • Victory
    • View Profile
    • Dark-Wire
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2006, 12:22:04 am »
Yea, we had 29 Wii's that were suppose to ship tonight but only 20 came in so the last nine in line ended up getting rainchecks. We did have a fight break out which I got to interfere with, I loved it.
Philosophy, n. A route of many roads leading from nowhere to nothing.

- Ambrose Bierce

Offline Miamiandy

• SpAm In ThE cAn
    • View Profile
    • MyHouseGeek
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2006, 12:31:52 am »
Sounds entertaining. Did any of them run into poles or get shot?

|This coupon good for  \

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Offline Mythix

• The Dude
  • x86
  • Victory
    • View Profile
    • Dark-Wire
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2006, 01:19:37 am »
Negative, I ended up breaking the dispute up before anything major was done. A lot of eff yous and fingers given and hussie shoving. Sigh sometimes I feel like I should pay my job for entertainment.
Philosophy, n. A route of many roads leading from nowhere to nothing.

- Ambrose Bierce