Author Topic: What time is it?  (Read 3343 times)

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
Re: What time is it?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 02:00:10 am »
14:23, 2:23 PM

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 02:09:13 am »
First off, they forgot 2^0 in the description. Second of all, I'm guessing you read it as top = hour and bottom = minute, but that would mean the maximum number on the hours would be 15 (8+4+2+1) but there's 24 hours in a day. Unless of course, your interpretation is incorrect (it would be 13 btw or if you make the first place 2 then there would be no odd hours)/the lights are only for demonstration. So then it would display time in the twelve hour format. The bottom seems right though.

Edit: Ok... if it was read left to right... it would be 11:58, which would make sense.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 02:18:07 am by Ergot »
Who gives a damn? I fuck sheep all the time.
And yes, male both ends.  There are a couple lesbians that need a two-ended dildo...My router just refuses to wear a strap-on.
(05:55:03) JoE ThE oDD: omfg good job i got a boner thinkin bout them chinese bitches
(17:54:15) Sidoh: I love cosmetology

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006, 02:17:29 am »
First off, they forgot 2^0 in the description. Second of all, I'm guessing you read it as top = hour and bottom = minute, but that would mean the maximum number on the hours would be 15 (8+4+2+1) but there's 24 hours in a day. Unless of course, your interpretation is incorrect (it would be 13 btw or if you make the first place 2 then there would be no odd hours)/the lights are only for demonstration. So then it would display time in the twelve hour format. The bottom seems right though.

I (pathetically) added the top digits incorrectly.  I know how to read binary.

It gives you the ambiguous time of "1:23" and assumes that you'll be able to infer the AM or PM from intuition.

By the way, I incorrectly assumed that the right most bit represented 2^0, which is why my answer is completely wrong.  It's a little-endian display... :(
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 02:26:15 am by Sidoh »

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2006, 03:23:00 am »
By the way, I incorrectly assumed that the right most bit represented 2^0, which is why my answer is completely wrong.  It's a little-endian display... :(
Endianness refers to byte order, not bit order.  The least-significant byte is typically on the right.... and you *correctly* assumed that the right-most bit was the least-significant - 2^0 *is* 1.  Your original answer wasn't completely wrong... although it's unclear to me why it would have only four digits for the hour.  You can make it to 15, and the watch is lit to 13.   :o
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2006, 03:27:18 am »
Endianness refers to byte order, not bit order.  The least-significant byte is typically on the right.... and you *correctly* assumed that the right-most bit was the least-significant - 2^0 *is* 1.  Your original answer wasn't completely wrong... although it's unclear to me why it would have only four digits for the hour.  You can make it to 15, and the watch is lit to 13.   :o
Read two posts up.
Who gives a damn? I fuck sheep all the time.
And yes, male both ends.  There are a couple lesbians that need a two-ended dildo...My router just refuses to wear a strap-on.
(05:55:03) JoE ThE oDD: omfg good job i got a boner thinkin bout them chinese bitches
(17:54:15) Sidoh: I love cosmetology

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2006, 03:37:41 am »

I'm aware that 2^0 is usually on the right; that's why I originally made the assumption.  I said that I was incorrect because I would expect the watch to relapse to the hour 1 after 12 since it is incapable of displaying anything over 15.  I don't know of a way of expressing time that includes a 15th hour but not a 16th-23rd hour.

As Ergot said, reading it in the less conventional way yields a more sensible answer and doesn't lead me to believe that the watch is incapable of expressing 8 hours of the day without much confusion.

The endianness reference was more of an attempt at a humorous colloquial comment than an effort to choose fancy vocabulary.

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2006, 06:54:23 am »
It could go from 15 to 4?

Offline disco

• Comfortably Numb
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2006, 12:31:11 pm »
A.K.A. babe magnet.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2006, 12:42:07 pm »
It could go from 15 to 4?

That would be even more useless than 15-8.

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2006, 01:28:09 pm »
That's pretty neat. 
The once grove of splendor,
Aforetime crowned by lilac and lily,
Lay now forevermore slender;
And all winds that liven
Silhouette a lone existence;
A leafless oak grasping at eternity.

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2006, 01:58:23 pm »
I forgot to mention: I used to have a "wall clock" that worked like this.  It was a solder kit, though.