Author Topic: Warden  (Read 8087 times)

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
Re: Warden
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2006, 08:46:37 am »
ethics

This is just one of the reasons I refuse to buy/play WoW.
What sounds better: a trustable company that creates a piece of software only to inform them whether or not you're cheating, or a video game with a crap load of botters and chines farmers, thus worsening your experience?

Explain how it worsens the game.  My gaming experience is fine, botting and farming gold has nothing to do with the gaming itself, the ONLY effect of any kind that it has is related to the AH.  Now, I do have a problem with Blizzard scanning everything on my computer, because not all of it is WoW related and some of it may be information that nobody else should know.
That's because Warden exists. Without Warden, there would be Chinese farmers at every single corner farming anything and everything. Now, not only every good farming spot is taken, the in-game currency is horribly inflated.

There are tons of Chinese farmers regardless.  There are plenty of ways to prevent Warden from detecting programs.  I would assume a lot of the farmers farm instances more then they would just out in the world.
I guess we have different opinions on the subject.

See, the problem is this:  The people who farm -vs- the people who bot to farm ; the people who sit there and farm and jack up the AH prices are pissed that the Chinese farmers, or bot farmers are bringing the AH prices down.  So they sit here and whine and bitch because people are AHing whatever cheaper then them.  I farm herbs, but I don't complain that the price of Briarthorn over the past week has gone down from 6-8g / stack to 1.5-2g / stack.  It's a game and people get way too involved in it to actually enjoy it.

Don't take offense to any of this - it's a game and these are all opinions.
Whenever I try to farm something myself, there's always a Chinese farmer in my way. Even though these Chinese farmers do lower the AH prices, I'd rather play the game the way it was meant, and actually be able to farm crap.
Hitmen: art is gay

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2006, 09:17:14 am »
ethics

What sounds better: a trustable company that creates a piece of software only to inform them whether or not you're cheating, or a video game with a crap load of botters and chines farmers, thus worsening your experience?
Since when are those my only two choices?  You are trying to twist a complex situation into a simple question, and its just not applicable.  Even if your question were valid, choosing the lesser of two evils is still unethical.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 09:19:32 am by unTactical »

Offline Furious

• I hate rabbits
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2006, 11:06:34 am »
Yeah - supply and demand.  Briarthorn was up at 9g / stack on the high side earlier this week, I was selling mine for 7g / stack.  I checked the AH last night and it's down to 1.5g / stack on the low side  :-\
[23:04:34] <deadly7[x86]> Newby[x86]
[23:04:35] <deadly7[x86]> YOU ARE AN EMO
[23:04:39] <Newby[x86]> shush it woman

[17:53:31] InsaneJoey[e2] was banned by x86 (GO EAT A BAG OF FUCK ASSHOLE (randomban)).

Quote from: Ergot
Put it this way Joe... you're on my Buddy List... if there's no one else on an you're the only one, I'd rather talk to myself.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2006, 11:18:40 am »
ethics

I think the only reason you should have to worry about is it would ruin your college carrier. ;)

Offline ZeroX

• Pirating Your software since 1998
    • View Profile
    • Crap
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2006, 12:13:17 pm »
It is one of the most interesting pieces of spyware to date, because it is designed only to verify compliance with a EULA/TOS. Here is what it does, about every 15 seconds, to about 4.5 million people (500,000 of which are logged on at any given time):

I think those numbers have changed in recent years.
Zeroforce
Zeroforce
Zeroforce

mutsumibear: David's coming over Sunday so we can have mad sex all day.
zxdropoff: lucky you
mutsumibear: :D I know.
mutsumibear: I just pray I don't start my period before then.
zxdropoff: omfg
zxdropoff: stfu
zxdropoff: now please
mutsumibear: HAHA
mutsumibear: I love disturbing you.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2006, 12:17:03 pm »
Well, problem one is that gamers have no choice but to accept Blizzard’s word on that. More importantly, if Hoglund is right, Blizzard has a pretty skewed idea of privacy—we can look at your personal info, but if we don’t collect it there’s no invasion? Hardly. We also wonder how Blizzard’s executives would feel if we searched their homes, wallets, and bank accounts and read their letters and emails but didn’t write down anything we found.

More accurately, not remember anything "we" found.

Seriously, why does it matter so much?  If it sends personal data, it is obviously a big deal.  Until then, though, I am not worried about it.

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2006, 12:19:44 pm »
I think the only reason you should have to worry about is it would ruin your college carrier. ;)
It's going to ruin his college mailman?   :P

I know, I know, you meant career, but I couldn't resist.
errr... something like that...

Offline ZeroX

• Pirating Your software since 1998
    • View Profile
    • Crap
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2006, 12:21:09 pm »
Well, problem one is that gamers have no choice but to accept Blizzard’s word on that. More importantly, if Hoglund is right, Blizzard has a pretty skewed idea of privacy—we can look at your personal info, but if we don’t collect it there’s no invasion? Hardly. We also wonder how Blizzard’s executives would feel if we searched their homes, wallets, and bank accounts and read their letters and emails but didn’t write down anything we found.

More accurately, not remember anything "we" found.

Seriously, why does it matter so much?  If it sends personal data, it is obviously a big deal.  Until then, though, I am not worried about it.

DLLs are very important rember now sidoh  :-[
Zeroforce
Zeroforce
Zeroforce

mutsumibear: David's coming over Sunday so we can have mad sex all day.
zxdropoff: lucky you
mutsumibear: :D I know.
mutsumibear: I just pray I don't start my period before then.
zxdropoff: omfg
zxdropoff: stfu
zxdropoff: now please
mutsumibear: HAHA
mutsumibear: I love disturbing you.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2006, 12:24:01 pm »

I know, I know, you meant career, but I couldn't resist.

Typo.  ::)

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2006, 12:57:06 pm »

You might be on to something there... my mailman has been pretty bad ever since I moved....