Author Topic: Best Professions  (Read 6328 times)

Offline Furious

• I hate rabbits
    • View Profile
Best Professions
« on: December 06, 2006, 12:03:00 am »
So, for money what are your opinions?

Personally, I picked up herbalism for the first time and I bring in money like crazy.  Even after buying rare weapons, equipment and spells I've got 50g.  And I don't go out hunting for herbs, I just grab them as I see them.  BTW I'm level 31.
[23:04:34] <deadly7[x86]> Newby[x86]
[23:04:35] <deadly7[x86]> YOU ARE AN EMO
[23:04:39] <Newby[x86]> shush it woman

[17:53:31] InsaneJoey[e2] was banned by x86 (GO EAT A BAG OF FUCK ASSHOLE (randomban)).

Quote from: Ergot
Put it this way Joe... you're on my Buddy List... if there's no one else on an you're the only one, I'd rather talk to myself.

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
    • View Profile
Re: Best Professions
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2006, 01:13:13 am »
Mining sucks at 60 to get gold from, unless you like to compete with other people for 10 vein spawns of thorium... Disenchanting becomes useful, and with the proper enchanting spells you can make a good deal of money. Skinning/Leatherworking can make a lot of gold with the black dragonscale gear. Herbalism/Alchemy will make you a lot of gold though.

Offline ZeroX

• Pirating Your software since 1998
    • View Profile
    • Crap
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2006, 10:33:46 am »
Alch is a waste of time really. Guilds tend to have people in the guild make them Flask of Titans so buying them is pretty useless. Try going Enchanting/Herb tons of cash. I personally can give a damn about my professions currently since iam going Jewel crafting and leveling it to 300 when iam leveling 60-70
Zeroforce
Zeroforce
Zeroforce

mutsumibear: David's coming over Sunday so we can have mad sex all day.
zxdropoff: lucky you
mutsumibear: :D I know.
mutsumibear: I just pray I don't start my period before then.
zxdropoff: omfg
zxdropoff: stfu
zxdropoff: now please
mutsumibear: HAHA
mutsumibear: I love disturbing you.

Offline Kaleeko

• Female Nerdz0r
  • Just let him in the fridge already!
    • View Profile
    • Kaleeko's DeviantART
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 02:05:53 am »
I've always been told Herbalism/Skinning is the best money making build. I'm not sure about Enchanting. I guess it really depends on the server and how well you advertise it, because most enchanters I know are incredibly poor. Alchemists on my server make a hell of a lot more than enchanters.

Though, I never really pick up professions for gold. I get enough to get by from instances and dropping repair bots (I guess that's part of Engineering prof, heh), and loans from people that work the auction house that I've never had to worry much about farming for gold. I personally like having Mining/Engineering for my hunter, and haven't put the effort into leveling professions on other characters.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2006, 03:08:29 am »
*** Disclaimer: Take my answers with a grain of salt, as I haven't played in several months ***

I would have to say herbalism and alchemy.  Mining seems like much more of a gamble for money (waiting for arcane stones or whatever they're called and things of that nature), whereas herbalism is a pretty sure shot.  Just wander around the desired land picking flowers.  The market will obviously change over time, but raiders and pvpers are in a constant need of potions.  If they can't make them for themselves or don't have anyone who will make them for them, they will (sometimes...) turn to the auction house.  Major Mana Potions sold for a decent amount more than the ingredients required to make them when I was still playing.

I don't think that alchemy is a waste of time (Newton would have agreed with me! >:(), but maybe that's just me.  Playing around with the auction house wasn't something I did much, so I don't have an exceedingly strong opinion about the matter.

From my (minimal) experience in making money, I would say that the best way to make money is to work the auction house.  My old boss could start himself off with two gold and make a steady 10-50 gold a day just by working the auction house.  There were a few select items he bought from vendors, some he crafted, a select number of ones that he got as loot and, of course, ones that he bought from the auction house to begin with.  I was absolutely astonished when he first started doing it.  His character was level 16 (legitimately) walking around with over 200 gold!

Offline Furious

• I hate rabbits
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2006, 09:19:19 am »
Mining on my server is sort of a weird thing.  It's not "hard" to make money from the low level stuff, ie: copper.  I can sell a stack of copper bars for 70s+ which may not seem like a lot, but with the abundance of copper it builds up quick.  I've made well over 70g with my character ( lvl 33 now ) just from herbalism, and I haven't gone out of my way once to go farm herbs.

[17:53:31] InsaneJoey[e2] was banned by x86 (GO EAT A BAG OF FUCK ASSHOLE (randomban)).

Put it this way Joe... you're on my Buddy List... if there's no one else on an you're the only one, I'd rather talk to myself.

Offline Kaleeko

• Female Nerdz0r
  • Just let him in the fridge already!
    • View Profile
    • Kaleeko's DeviantART
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2006, 09:55:24 pm »
From my (minimal) experience in making money, I would say that the best way to make money is to work the auction house.  My old boss could start himself off with two gold and make a steady 10-50 gold a day just by working the auction house.  There were a few select items he bought from vendors, some he crafted, a select number of ones that he got as loot and, of course, ones that he bought from the auction house to begin with.  I was absolutely astonished when he first started doing it.  His character was level 16 (legitimately) walking around with over 200 gold!

While working the auction house will probably make you the MOST money, it's not always reliable. I've had friends lose a few hundred gold from it from making dumb decisions, but I also have a guildmate who has made almost 3000g from the AH, just from buying and reselling. (Auctioneer helps a lot with this.)

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2006, 12:39:08 pm »
While working the auction house will probably make you the MOST money, it's not always reliable. I've had friends lose a few hundred gold from it from making dumb decisions, but I also have a guildmate who has made almost 3000g from the AH, just from buying and reselling. (Auctioneer helps a lot with this.)

It is if you sell the things my boss did on it.  He was never, ever poor.  He always had enough money to buy whatever he needed.  When he got to 40, he bought him and his wife a mount and I suspect he'll have close to enough for an epic when he gets to 60.

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2006, 01:20:59 pm »

It is if you sell the things my boss did on it.  He was never, ever poor.  He always had enough money to buy whatever he needed.  When he got to 40, he bought him and his wife a mount and I suspect he'll have close to enough for an epic when he gets to 60.
lvl 40 mounts = cheap :P

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2006, 01:49:40 pm »
lvl 40 mounts = cheap :P

You had 200 gold to throw out the window when you hit level 40?  (Actually, long before that, but that surpasses the purpose of this discussion :P).

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2006, 02:45:53 pm »
More like 160g without the training!

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2006, 03:04:50 pm »

You're dodging the point.

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2006, 04:14:50 pm »

You're dodging the point.
Ok fine, YES at level 40 160g+40g IS expensive. If you are smart enough though, you can make the money. But if you are only leveling and  focusing on that, NO you will not have enough money. You are right, I am wrong. Good game

Offline Furious

• I hate rabbits
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2006, 06:53:45 pm »
Why are we talking about 200g to begin with?

Offline Blaze

• Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2006, 03:23:26 pm »
Mining has made me thousands of gold over, herbalism has made me less... at least on my current server where I'm the only one who farms Eastern Plaugelands (Save a few).
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...