Being curious, I started doing some research.  Here are a few articles I found:

http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2005/10/blizzard_entert.html

http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/archives/004076.php

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4385050.stm

Anyone have comments / concerns, etc.
[23:04:34] <deadly7[x86]> Newby[x86]
[23:04:35] <deadly7[x86]> YOU ARE AN EMO
[23:04:39] <Newby[x86]> shush it woman

[17:53:31] InsaneJoey[e2] was banned by x86 (GO EAT A BAG OF FUCK ASSHOLE (randomban)).

Quote from: Ergot
Put it this way Joe... you're on my Buddy List... if there's no one else on an you're the only one, I'd rather talk to myself.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
Re: Warden
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006, 02:52:26 pm »
I think this is sort of old news.

In any case, though, it doesn't really bother me unless they're sending back massive amounts of data containing personal information that has no relevance to the interest of Warden's cause.  I don't really care if it reads my emails.

I do think it's a violation of privacy and I would vote against its existence if I had the choice, but revolting isn't going to do anything right now, so why waste the effort worryinga bout it?

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006, 03:26:58 pm »
ethics

This is just one of the reasons I refuse to buy/play WoW.

Offline Furious

• I hate rabbits
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2006, 03:48:59 pm »
I think this is sort of old news.

In any case, though, it doesn't really bother me unless they're sending back massive amounts of data containing personal information that has no relevance to the interest of Warden's cause.  I don't really care if it reads my emails.

I do think it's a violation of privacy and I would vote against its existence if I had the choice, but revolting isn't going to do anything right now, so why waste the effort worryinga bout it?

It is.  I'm just trying to get this forum a little more active  :-X

[17:53:31] InsaneJoey[e2] was banned by x86 (GO EAT A BAG OF FUCK ASSHOLE (randomban)).

Put it this way Joe... you're on my Buddy List... if there's no one else on an you're the only one, I'd rather talk to myself.

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2006, 04:15:51 pm »
I applaud blizzard for this. I don't consider it spyware, blizzard is reputable enough to not use something like this to sniff out personal information.

Offline Joe

• B&
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2006, 05:10:18 pm »
How hard would it be to locate Warden and overwrite it with a function that returns a hardcoded response that's negative for all bad programs?
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2006, 06:11:26 pm »
and hashes as if it were Warden?  ;)

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2006, 07:03:15 pm »
ethics

What sounds better: a trustable company that creates a piece of software only to inform them whether or not you're cheating, or a video game with a crap load of botters and chines farmers, thus worsening your experience?
Hitmen: art is gay

Offline Furious

• I hate rabbits
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2006, 07:19:12 pm »
ethics

What sounds better: a trustable company that creates a piece of software only to inform them whether or not you're cheating, or a video game with a crap load of botters and chines farmers, thus worsening your experience?

Explain how it worsens the game.  My gaming experience is fine, botting and farming gold has nothing to do with the gaming itself, the ONLY effect of any kind that it has is related to the AH.  Now, I do have a problem with Blizzard scanning everything on my computer, because not all of it is WoW related and some of it may be information that nobody else should know.

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2006, 07:27:11 pm »
ethics

Explain how it worsens the game.  My gaming experience is fine, botting and farming gold has nothing to do with the gaming itself, the ONLY effect of any kind that it has is related to the AH.  Now, I do have a problem with Blizzard scanning everything on my computer, because not all of it is WoW related and some of it may be information that nobody else should know.
That's because Warden exists. Without Warden, there would be Chinese farmers at every single corner farming anything and everything. Now, not only every good farming spot is taken, the in-game currency is horribly inflated.

Offline Furious

• I hate rabbits
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2006, 08:09:31 pm »
ethics

That's because Warden exists. Without Warden, there would be Chinese farmers at every single corner farming anything and everything. Now, not only every good farming spot is taken, the in-game currency is horribly inflated.

There are tons of Chinese farmers regardless.  There are plenty of ways to prevent Warden from detecting programs.  I would assume a lot of the farmers farm instances more then they would just out in the world.

Offline Joe

• B&
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2006, 08:10:40 pm »
and hashes as if it were Warden?  ;)

Yes. I'm wondering if there was a meaning behind that post other than an honest question, though. But in case I'm just being paranoid, yes, hash it like Warden.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2006, 11:46:58 pm »
ethics

There are tons of Chinese farmers regardless.  There are plenty of ways to prevent Warden from detecting programs.  I would assume a lot of the farmers farm instances more then they would just out in the world.
I guess we have different opinions on the subject.

Offline Furious

• I hate rabbits
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2006, 12:47:06 am »
ethics

See, the problem is this:  The people who farm -vs- the people who bot to farm ; the people who sit there and farm and jack up the AH prices are pissed that the Chinese farmers, or bot farmers are bringing the AH prices down.  So they sit here and whine and bitch because people are AHing whatever cheaper then them.  I farm herbs, but I don't complain that the price of Briarthorn over the past week has gone down from 6-8g / stack to 1.5-2g / stack.  It's a game and people get way too involved in it to actually enjoy it.

Don't take offense to any of this - it's a game and these are all opinions.

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2006, 12:57:37 am »
ethics

See, the problem is this:  The people who farm -vs- the people who bot to farm ; the people who sit there and farm and jack up the AH prices are pissed that the Chinese farmers, or bot farmers are bringing the AH prices down.  So they sit here and whine and bitch because people are AHing whatever cheaper then them.  I farm herbs, but I don't complain that the price of Briarthorn over the past week has gone down from 6-8g / stack to 1.5-2g / stack.  It's a game and people get way too involved in it to actually enjoy it.

Don't take offense to any of this - it's a game and these are all opinions.
briarthorn is that expensive???!