Author Topic: My 1st amendment was violated today  (Read 9238 times)

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
Re: My 1st amendment was violated today
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2006, 08:18:04 pm »
The Norfolk Public School dress regulation states that students shall not wear the following items:

1) Clothing, pins, jewelry, accessories or other items of adornment displaying obscene, profane, derogatory, violent or gang-related messages, themes, designs or pictures;
Yeah, they could probably get you for that.
Hitmen: art is gay

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2006, 08:22:27 pm »
The Norfolk Public School dress regulation states that students shall not wear the following items:

1) Clothing, pins, jewelry, accessories or other items of adornment displaying obscene, profane, derogatory, violent or gang-related messages, themes, designs or pictures;
if he wore the second shirt.

the one he wore today just said maury

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2006, 08:27:54 pm »

if he wore the second shirt.

the one he wore today just said maury
Yeah, I was talking about the second shirt. I should've been more clear.

trust

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2006, 08:29:00 pm »
Well I'm not going to wear the same shirt two days in a row because that just screams that I'm doing it on purpose. Should I wait until I wear it again and then talk to the principal if anything is said or should I just go to him tomorrow?

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2006, 08:38:00 pm »
I vote for option A. Make sure you walk in front of the security guard though so something is said.

trust

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2006, 08:40:02 pm »
Wear the same shirt? haha.

I could wear the other one and just wear my fleece open so that they can just see "Maury Lacrosse" on the front. If they said something over that then they're saying it just because it says Maury and not because of any violence related things. Then I would just bring another shirt to change into when he tells me to take it off and then I'd go to the principal. (Or not change.)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 08:42:12 pm by OG Trust »

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2006, 08:49:59 pm »
Wear the same shirt? haha.

I could wear the other one and just wear my fleece open so that they can just see "Maury Lacrosse" on the front. If they said something over that then they're saying it just because it says Maury and not because of any violence related things. Then I would just bring another shirt to change into when he tells me to take it off and then I'd go to the principal. (Or not change.)
Sounds good to  me. :)

Offline ZeroX

• Pirating Your software since 1998
    • View Profile
    • Crap
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2006, 08:59:39 pm »
Trust this reminds me alot of what happen at my school last year during the Immgration protest. Well a very close friend of mine wore an american bandna and was sent to the office because she refused to take it off.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=9kVLz1a0gsM

Here is a link vid that I uploaded awhile back. It might help you in some way justify what has happen. Fucking school district.
Zeroforce
Zeroforce
Zeroforce

mutsumibear: David's coming over Sunday so we can have mad sex all day.
zxdropoff: lucky you
mutsumibear: :D I know.
mutsumibear: I just pray I don't start my period before then.
zxdropoff: omfg
zxdropoff: stfu
zxdropoff: now please
mutsumibear: HAHA
mutsumibear: I love disturbing you.

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2006, 09:35:53 pm »
Which is why I cited Tinker vs. Des Moines. It upheld that freedom of expression is still allowed in schools and that the right is not forefeited upon entry.
Schools can limit your first ammendment rights if they think it will be a distraction to others.  You were wearing a rival school's shirt, and the security guard may have thought you were doing it to be a nuisance, which would interfere with other students' right to an education.

I think my coach is a great time. . . .
I don't even want to know what that means.
errr... something like that...

trust

« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2006, 09:54:06 pm »
Which is why I cited Tinker vs. Des Moines. It upheld that freedom of expression is still allowed in schools and that the right is not forefeited upon entry.
Schools can limit your first ammendment rights if they think it will be a distraction to others.  You were wearing a rival school's shirt, and the security guard may have thought you were doing it to be a nuisance, which would interfere with other students' right to an education.

Yes, but I received no complaints from students (nor have I) about it disrupting them. All of my classes proceeded without interruption or distraction. If anything, he interrupted my right to an education by skewing my experiments results.

And time should be "guy"

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2006, 10:01:43 pm »
Yes, but I received no complaints from students (nor have I) about it disrupting them. All of my classes proceeded without interruption or distraction. If anything, he interrupted my right to an education by skewing my experiments results.
Ah yes, he had been following you around and just knew it wouldn't distract anybody.  It sounds like he misunderstood the situation and was just trying to do his job. You were wearing a rival's shirt, and if he was unaware of the situation, he could very easily jump to the conclusion that you were doing it to cause problems.

And just cross that trial out of your experimental results if you're that concerned about them.
errr... something like that...

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2006, 10:04:49 pm »
I don't want him to lose his job

I do. Fuck him. Get his ass in trouble. Go straight to the Principal. He'll be understanding.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2006, 10:33:23 pm »
You're first ammendment? What was ammended to you? A penis? YOUR PENIS GOT VIOLATED BY A SECURITY GUARD?!

Seriously though:

AFAIK, security guards carry no weapons (other than a MAG light, nice mace), so your in no harm physically if you walk to the office with him on your tail. Plus, they're not police, so they can't arrest you (I think it's assault if they attempt to handcuff you.. you could even call it sexual assault, because being handcuffed by another guy is really, really weird). Generally, when the situation comes up that I'd like to go to the office immediately, I follow this:

Joe: I need to go to the office. May I go?
Teacher: No.
Joe: Reguardless, I need to go to the office and you have no reason for denying me that privilege. Bye.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

trust

« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2006, 10:35:59 pm »
Joe, what are you talking about?

Also our security guards have mace and I think handcuffs. We also have a in-school officer.

Offline ZeroX

• Pirating Your software since 1998
    • View Profile
    • Crap
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2006, 10:36:44 pm »

Joe: I need to go to the office. May I go?
Teacher: No.
Joe: Reguardless, I need to go to the office and you have no reason for denying me that privilege. Bye.

That would follow under the disruption of stundents education asking a teacher to do something other the the lesson can be a disruption and you are basically breaking the schools ToS.
Zeroforce
Zeroforce
Zeroforce

mutsumibear: David's coming over Sunday so we can have mad sex all day.
zxdropoff: lucky you
mutsumibear: :D I know.
mutsumibear: I just pray I don't start my period before then.
zxdropoff: omfg
zxdropoff: stfu
zxdropoff: now please
mutsumibear: HAHA
mutsumibear: I love disturbing you.