Author Topic: Which processor is better?  (Read 2862 times)

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
Which processor is better?
« on: December 16, 2006, 11:46:31 pm »
Better one... or two?

All I see is that the first one runs on slightly lower voltage, and the second one is "open box". Does either one of these factors matter?

For the record, this is going into a Franken-Dell Dimension 2400. I'll probably run it with stock cooling.. the ONLY stock part left, except the motherboard. :)
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
Re: Which processor is better?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2006, 06:56:37 am »
Open Box means "bought, opened, returned with minimal use".  That's the only difference.

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 11:28:23 am »
first one
second one

They are basically the same processor, but I believe the E models are newer and addressed some of the heat issues with earlier Prescott line processors.  Personally, I wouldn't buy a Prescott at all though.

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2006, 11:14:52 am »
first one
second one

They are basically the same processor, but I believe the E models are newer and addressed some of the heat issues with earlier Prescott line processors.  Personally, I wouldn't buy a Prescott at all though.

Is Prescott before or after Nothwood?

I'm running a P4 Northwood, 2.8GHz, No HT. So the 200MHz isn't significant, I know, but I multitask a lot (hell.. iTunes) so that'd pick up some nice slack. And I plan on giving my processor to my brother, who's got a 1.8GHz and needs an upgrade badly.

It sucks because we're confined to the 478 socket.

EDIT -
Assuming I'm blind, which processor would you buy? I don't know what the specifics are on my board, but I can give you a CPU-Z export on request, and I can tell you right now it's a Dell Dimension 2400, although I know that's not specific.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 11:17:31 am by Joe[x86] »

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2006, 12:35:02 pm »
Northwood predates Prescott and IIRC none of them have HyperThreading.

Personally, I'd just stick with your existing processor until you can afford to upgrade the motherboard too ....or the entire machine.  Prescott's are notorious for heat issues, so even if you bought one of those OEM processors, your Northwood CPU fan would not be sufficient cooling, especially without proper heat paste.

The 478 socket is virtually obsolete except for laptops that use Pentium M processors.  I can't say that I'm sad about that either.

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2006, 05:34:50 am »
Alright, thanks. I talked this over with a RL friend at work today and we both made the same conclusion with uT.

So, your next job is to go shopping. Find me a barebones kit. I'd prefer a relatively cheap one, and it doesn't need to have any features I'll never use anyhow.