Author Topic: Playing Widescreen DVDs  (Read 3468 times)

trust

Playing Widescreen DVDs
« on: December 17, 2006, 11:07:34 pm »
I have a Widescreen TV, I set it to the Widescreen setting and insert a Widescreen formatted DVD. Result: More often than not it still plays with the black bars on the top and bottom. Shouldn't the bars be gone since it's on a Widescreen TV? I often have to use the "zoom" feature of my TV to make it fill up the screen but this results in a distorted picture and it cuts off some parts of the image. Once or twice the DVD has played without the bars and it was great, but it's not something that I can seen to always get.

What am I doing wrong?

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
Re: Playing Widescreen DVDs
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2006, 11:22:28 pm »
I have the same problem with Windows Media Center, and neither the zoom for Media Center nor my TV. Mine doesn't get distorted, though.
Hitmen: art is gay

trust

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2006, 11:34:47 pm »
I have the same problem with Windows Media Center, and neither the zoom for Media Center nor my TV. Mine doesn't get distorted, though.

It's only distorted because I zoom in on the image and it results in just lower quality. It's nothing drastic.

Offline Mythix

• The Dude
  • x86
  • Victory
    • View Profile
    • Dark-Wire
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2006, 11:39:54 pm »
Do you have any other screen format settings you can change, also does this option happen with all of your WS DVD's or just some?
Philosophy, n. A route of many roads leading from nowhere to nothing.

- Ambrose Bierce

Offline RoMi

• x86
  • gg no re
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2006, 06:22:48 am »
It all depends on directors preference they shoot in two styles of widescreen (for the most part).  http://gregl.net/videophile/anamorphic.htm explains it pretty well, since none of these shots are exactly 16:9 they don't fit on the tv without streching or lines.
-RoMi