Author Topic: Foreign language ettiquite?  (Read 6949 times)

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
Foreign language ettiquite?
« on: December 24, 2006, 03:33:05 am »
Well, now that I know a decent ammount of Spanish, I've been starting to use it a bit at work, because to be honest it's easier to understand some foreigners in Spanish than it is in English with their accents. I was wondering, would you consider it rude for to attempt to use an accent, even if you're not too good at it (for example, me speaking Spanish), or to even speak Spanish at all to them as we're in an English-based job?
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
Re: Foreign language ettiquite?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2006, 04:09:31 am »
If you know they speak spanish...whatev

Some stupid girl @ wendy's started talking to a hispanic lookin dude (customer) & he replied "I dont speak spanish" ... I laughed in my head

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2006, 04:11:21 am »
Well, now that I know a decent ammount of Spanish, I've been starting to use it a bit at work, because to be honest it's easier to understand some foreigners in Spanish than it is in English with their accents. I was wondering, would you consider it rude for to attempt to use an accent, even if you're not too good at it (for example, me speaking Spanish), or to even speak Spanish at all to them as we're in an English-based job?

I spoke English to my coworkers. They didn't spick a lick of English.

I am in AP Spanish (my 5th year of Spanish) and I still don't feel confident enough to talk in Spanish.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2006, 09:31:22 am »
Don't try to speak with an accent.  Just speak Spanish, and eventually you'll develop one.  If you try you might anger them.

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2006, 11:12:52 am »
man, if they get mad cause youre speaking with an accent then tell them to fuck off.. this is america.. dey turk oerr jeerrbbbs. speak with a damn accept, guys, maybe theyll think you sound funny and then realize thats how they sound, so they must sound funny to us also. man i took 1 year of spanish and i talk spanish every day, and sometimes i throw in different accents while speaking in spanish. tu comprende?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2006, 11:14:41 am by warz »
http://www.chyea.org/ - web based markup debugger

trust

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2006, 12:29:12 pm »
Don't speak in Spanish, we're in America and you're not even close to Mexico. You just look/sound dumb.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2006, 12:31:48 pm »
Don't speak in Spanish, we're in America and you're not even close to Mexico. You just look/sound dumb.

Those were my exact thoughts. :)
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2006, 12:58:24 pm »
tu eres muy estupido. it doesnt hurt to be well rounded, and knowledgable of other languages dude. speaking spanish doesn't make you look or sound dumb at all. the only thing that really makes you look dumb is when you try to defend your reasoning for why spanish shouldn't be spoken just because we're in the US. On a side note though, im in TX, closer to Mexico than any of you noobs.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2006, 01:21:16 pm »
tu eres muy estupido. it doesnt hurt to be well rounded, and knowledgable of other languages dude. speaking spanish doesn't make you look or sound dumb at all. the only thing that really makes you look dumb is when you try to defend your reasoning for why spanish shouldn't be spoken just because we're in the US. On a side note though, im in TX, closer to Mexico than any of you noobs.
where in texas are you?

Where I live is pretty much mexico.

But yeah.  Dont speak spanish when you dont know it (unless the fool doesnt know english), and in businesses in the US you should be speaking english.

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2006, 01:31:05 pm »
What does it matter if you know it or not? If the situation arrises, and you know that you know enough words to make a point in Spanish, then by all means, say the damn words in Spanish. I work at my friend's dad's car cargo van rental place, in downtown Dallas - you want to know how many Mexicans I see in one business day? A lot. I don't know Spanish, but I know basic words and phrases. If I feel that saying one Spanish word will help the Mexican dude realize his Ace cash card is not accepted for renting a van, and his debit card has no money on it, and he has no insurance, then I'm going to say the damn word in Spanish.

I live in Dallas, and go to school in Lubbock.

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2006, 02:30:16 pm »

Those were my exact thoughts. :)
WHO GIVES  A FUCK HOW CLOSE YOU ARE TO MEXICO?
;)
I recommend you speak English to them no matter what, even if you are in a place like... San Diego

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2006, 03:10:59 pm »
man, if they get mad cause youre speaking with an accent then tell them to fuck off.. this is america.. dey turk oerr jeerrbbbs. speak with a damn accept, guys, maybe theyll think you sound funny and then realize thats how they sound, so they must sound funny to us also. man i took 1 year of spanish and i talk spanish every day, and sometimes i throw in different accents while speaking in spanish. tu comprende?

Sí, yo comprendo.

Ellos de Argentina, no de Estados Unitodos. Ellos no habla bueno ingles, y es más facil comprendar en español.

EDIT -
Uh.. what's the right form of "comprendo" in this sentence?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2006, 03:13:19 pm by Joe[x86] »
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2006, 03:18:21 pm »
What does it matter if you know it or not? If the situation arrises, and you know that you know enough words to make a point in Spanish, then by all means, say the damn words in Spanish. I work at my friend's dad's car cargo van rental place, in downtown Dallas - you want to know how many Mexicans I see in one business day? A lot. I don't know Spanish, but I know basic words and phrases. If I feel that saying one Spanish word will help the Mexican dude realize his Ace cash card is not accepted for renting a van, and his debit card has no money on it, and he has no insurance, then I'm going to say the damn word in Spanish.

I live in Dallas, and go to school in Lubbock.
Las Cruces, NM.  I'm even closer than you, "noob."

I'd say more than 10% of the damned people here don't know friggin word of english...and they dont even really try to learn.  My friend's grandma has been here for 50+ years, can say hi & a few other things.

Spanish can be nice to help someone genuinely in need of help, but when they dont bother I'm not gonna bother either.  They can run outta gas & call the police if they really need help, but they'll just end up getting sent back anyhow.

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2006, 03:32:41 pm »
Joe you're Spanish is terrible, but if they don't speak English at all... your attempts at Spanish will pass.  Trust me, it's like people speaking broken English, you'll still understand them.  Don't stress yourself over the conjugations and grammar too much when speaking... they won't mind too much (since you're attempting to speak).
Who gives a damn? I fuck sheep all the time.
And yes, male both ends.  There are a couple lesbians that need a two-ended dildo...My router just refuses to wear a strap-on.
(05:55:03) JoE ThE oDD: omfg good job i got a boner thinkin bout them chinese bitches
(17:54:15) Sidoh: I love cosmetology

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2006, 03:38:55 pm »
Joe you're Spanish is terrible, but if they don't speak English at all... your attempts at Spanish will pass.  Trust me, it's like people speaking broken English, you'll still understand them.  Don't stress yourself over the conjugations and grammar too much when speaking... they won't mind too much (since you're attempting to speak).
Exactly. If someone said "Where am you?" you know what they are asking