Author Topic: Hoo Hoo Hoo, Merry Christmas!  (Read 10927 times)

Offline Quik

• Webmaster Guy
  • x86
  • \x51 \x75 \x69 \x6B \x5B \x78 \x38 \x36 \x5D
    • View Profile
Re: Hoo Hoo Hoo, Merry Christmas!
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2006, 02:27:19 pm »
??

I might be incorrect Quik, but don't you get two sets of presents from both parents(since their divorced), Christian/Jewish? If not you, then its some other person...regardless, Hanukkah owns, since you get a present every day for like what a week?(Sorry for my ignorance on the length). At least, my Jewish friend does.

Yeah, I "celebrate" Christmas and Hanukkah because my parents are divorced and one is Jewish, other is Catholic. Yes, it's somewhat of a tradition to get gifts each day of Hanukkah. However, it's my personal belief that those holidays aren't purely for consumption... there should be a family element. I find it terrible that a thread like this is centered around what gifts everyone recieved, as opposed to what everyone did on Christmas Eve/Day to spend time with family/friends. I don't see where society says families need to spend thousands of dollars on one kid because their religious savior died, or something. If I got as many things as you all got, I'd be embarrassed.
[20:21:13] xar: i was just thinking about the time iago came over here and we made this huge bomb and light up the sky for 6 min
[20:21:15] xar: that was funny

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2006, 02:37:30 pm »
Yeah, I "celebrate" Christmas and Hanukkah because my parents are divorced and one is Jewish, other is Catholic. Yes, it's somewhat of a tradition to get gifts each day of Hanukkah. However, it's my personal belief that those holidays aren't purely for consumption... there should be a family element. I find it terrible that a thread like this is centered around what gifts everyone recieved, as opposed to what everyone did on Christmas Eve/Day to spend time with family/friends. I don't see where society says families need to spend thousands of dollars on one kid because their religious savior died, or something. If I got as many things as you all got, I'd be embarrassed.
Somebody didn't get very much, did he?! :P

But seriously, you're 100% right.  I was just telling my dad that on Christmas Eve, even with the over-commercialization and everything, the best part of Christmas is the fact that families spend time together.  That being said, here are my days:
Dec 23: Spent the evening at my aunt's with my mom's relatives
Dec 24: Spent the evening with my dad (step-mom worked, she works at a hospital), watching a movie and playing cribbage (he won, just barely)
Dec 25: Spent part of the morning with my mom, part with my dad, for presents.  Spent the evening with my mom, stepdad, sister, step-brother, step-sister, and cousin.  Played board games. 

This Christmas, more than ever, it's important to spend with my family because I'm moving away next week and won't have the opportunity to see them much when I do. 

I haven't posted in this thread yet because I didn't really get anything exciting.  I didn't ask for or want anything exciting, I actually have more money than my parents so that didn't work.  The highpoints:
- A cheap office chair, for when I go away
- Bedding
- Pillows
- Deodorant, toothpaste, soap, etc in a travel bag
- Clothes (cheap stuff, which I like), underwear, socks
- DVD (Clerks 2)
- Random stuff (a singing cow, a penguin full of chocolate, stuff like that)

And that's from both halves of the family. 

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2006, 03:34:04 pm »
Okay, from my mom I got:  A new Car Stereo and new Speakers, A big box of my favorite suckers, a bunch more money, a movie, a shirt, some socks, and other stuff... I can't seem to remember what I got and my room is messy right now so I can't look for them.  :((
The once grove of splendor,
Aforetime crowned by lilac and lily,
Lay now forevermore slender;
And all winds that liven
Silhouette a lone existence;
A leafless oak grasping at eternity.

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2006, 05:04:43 pm »
I finally gave into LCD.   ::)

http://www.samsung.com/ca/products/monitor/lcd_digital/ls19mewsfxaa.asp
19" 2ms Refresh 2000:1 contrast Wide Screen LCD Monitor
Two of these ftw

http://www.amphotoworld.com/product.asp?id=sndscw50&l=more
Sony Cybershot DSC-W50, 6.0 Megapixel 3x Optical/2x Digital Zoom Digital Camera
Two Gigabyte Memory Card for this.  :)

Clothes, Jewelery, Money, Chocolate and best of all, Family.  :)
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2006, 01:57:56 am »
Very sexy Monitor. :D
The once grove of splendor,
Aforetime crowned by lilac and lily,
Lay now forevermore slender;
And all winds that liven
Silhouette a lone existence;
A leafless oak grasping at eternity.

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

Offline Quik

• Webmaster Guy
  • x86
  • \x51 \x75 \x69 \x6B \x5B \x78 \x38 \x36 \x5D
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2006, 02:16:29 am »
Somebody didn't get very much, did he?! :P

That wasn't the reason behind my post. I actually realize that I've led a rather spoiled lifestyle, I just think it's a bad idea to continue and encourage these things because I fear for the future kids who will never realize the family element of the holidays.
[20:21:13] xar: i was just thinking about the time iago came over here and we made this huge bomb and light up the sky for 6 min
[20:21:15] xar: that was funny

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2006, 02:48:42 am »

Two of these ftw
My friend's new monitor :
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824116064

I wish I had either
« Last Edit: December 27, 2006, 02:50:47 am by CrAz3D »

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2006, 02:59:03 am »

Two of these ftw
My friend's new monitor :
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824116064

I wish I had either

That's pretty sweet too, but I chose to sacrifice screen size for picture quality and response time.  The Ipod dock is pretty cool, too.  :)  Oh, and I'm not a fan of built in speakers on monitors.  :P
« Last Edit: December 27, 2006, 03:03:27 am by Blaze »

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2006, 03:08:16 am »
nor is/was my friend, got it anyhow.

he doesnt game, though, so the response rate isnt as important to him so much as a decently large display I guess.  graduated CS major last saturday, working at nasa (again) for 6-7 months then off to grad school.

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2006, 03:24:52 am »
That's pretty sweet.  I had to quickly capture this picture, so it's a little blurry:  http://maide.ca/~ian/deskwithbootscreen.jpg  It's my motherboards boot screen and it's the answer.  >: D

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2006, 09:49:59 am »
That's pretty sweet.  I had to quickly capture this picture, so it's a little blurry:  http://maide.ca/~ian/deskwithbootscreen.jpg  It's my motherboards boot screen and it's the answer.  >: D
nice!

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2006, 11:06:03 am »
That wasn't the reason behind my post. I actually realize that I've led a rather spoiled lifestyle, I just think it's a bad idea to continue and encourage these things because I fear for the future kids who will never realize the family element of the holidays.
I know, I was just making fun :P