Author Topic: "A hole in the wall.."  (Read 6333 times)

Offline Mythix

• The Dude
  • x86
  • Victory
    • View Profile
    • Dark-Wire
Re: "A hole in the wall.."
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2006, 09:22:18 am »
While playing WoW today, I went to get up for whatever reason. I generally push off against the wall to move my chair, which is just fine. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. The equal was that the wall suffered as much force against it as the chair did, but the wall was stronger than the friction between the chair and the floor, so the chair moved.

Of course, who'd have thought that the force against the wall would perminantly weaken it? Today was like any other. I was going to get a drink or something, and I push off -- SNAP. I have a neat hole in my wall.

Eventually, I ripped off the large chunks of sheetrock and vaccuumed up the crumbs (for lack of a better term), but I have a neat hole under my desk now. :)

All that aside, what's the best way to clean this up? I'm not looking for a good cover up, as I already told my parents, but it's annoying to have a hole there. I'm thinking a big tub of spackle spread around it with a 2x4 covering the back of the hole (unfinished utility room is on the other side, so there is no insulation / other wall back there), and then pulling the 2x4 off when it dries. Does anyone, particularly Mythix the door guy, have any better ideas?

Any hardware store such as Lowe's or Home Depot carry patch-it kits that are under ten bucks. Basically a plastic disc you can tack against the backside of the wall and use your texture/mud to fill in. If that's not feasible the only other thing I can recommend besides getting another piece of Sheetrock to cut and fit would be to try a can of quick-foam to seal up the hole, if matching the back Sheetrock isn't a big deal to you most of the methods posted would work. Note with the foam-all or the mud you may have a little too much excess and it could require you using a piece of sandpaper to shape it down a bit. Since it's hidden and you don't seem adamant about reconditioning the entire surface I'd give the following options above a try.
Philosophy, n. A route of many roads leading from nowhere to nothing.

- Ambrose Bierce

Offline abc

• View Profile
Re: "A hole in the wall.."
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2006, 05:01:36 pm »
mmm, True

6 ft (72 inches)
16 inch stud spacing,
4.5 studs (virtually 5).