Author Topic: Insurance for instructional driver's license?  (Read 5612 times)

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
Insurance for instructional driver's license?
« on: December 31, 2006, 08:11:49 am »
What's the law about insurance for instructonal permits? The biggers concern others have about me driving their car is that, in the unlikely (heh..) occurance that I'd crash it, they don't have insurance for me.

I think that my parents insurance will obviously cover it if I'm driving their car, but who's supposed to cover me driving a friend's car? Does their's cover it, or my parents, or are we uncovered?
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
Re: Insurance for instructional driver's license?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2006, 08:19:04 am »
It all depends on the plan.  Typically the owner's insurance will cover it, but if you crash a friend's car, especially with a provisional, their rates will explode.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2006, 10:54:13 am »
It all depends on the plan.  Typically the owner's insurance will cover it, but if you crash a friend's car, especially with a provisional, their rates will explode.
word.

Why would you be driving your friend's car though?

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2007, 04:02:35 am »
If you don't have your license stay away from driving other peoples cars, unless it's your parents.
The once grove of splendor,
Aforetime crowned by lilac and lily,
Lay now forevermore slender;
And all winds that liven
Silhouette a lone existence;
A leafless oak grasping at eternity.

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2007, 12:19:54 pm »
At least in Kansas you cannot legally drive a car without a legal guardian or relative at least 21 years old in the passenger seat if you have a 'learners permit.'

If you have a license, the owners policy always covers car regardless of who is driving it unless it specifically says otherwise.  I'm pretty sure most policies will have a clause saying they provide no insurance or insurance similar to an 'uninsured driver' if the person driving is not a legally licensed driver (you).

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2007, 12:32:44 pm »
Nah.  A lot of states have a permit, provisional, and full.  Provisional is usually a restricted driving time (midnight to 6am or something), and a limit on passengers.  If he's got his permit, well, don't drive a non-familymember car.  Otherwise you're fine.

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2007, 05:11:42 pm »
word.

Seriously.  I don't ever invite my friends to drive my car, and I've only ever been invited to drive two friends' cars (one because he was really tired, the other because he'd been drinking).
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2007, 08:53:17 pm »
You shouldn't be driving someone else's car, Joe. You're supposed to be learning. Read your permit. It says whoever is 25+ (responsible for you while you are driving) is responsible for any accidents/tickets you get.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2007, 09:08:54 pm »
Again, provisional != permit.  If he's got a permit, you're all correct, but if it's provisional (as he says), he's technically a licensed driver.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2007, 09:29:55 pm »
What's the law about insurance for instructonal permits?

????
- Newby

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2007, 10:03:41 pm »
How the fuck did I miss that?

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2007, 06:22:04 pm »
Quote from: The back of my license
Class D - Non-Commercial Vechicles
RESTRICTIONS: Person seated beside permittee holds valid regular (non-probationary) license and is:
1) Qualified Instructor
2) Parent / Guardian / Spounce age 19 or older - Permittees other immediate family may not be in front seat
3) If permittee is under 18, parent / guardian must designate driver 21 or older.

What I'm talking about would be #3. It requires written permission from the parent to be carried on you at the time you're driving the car, which also picks up another possibility, that the note also acts as saying that my parents will pick up whatever I do to so-and-so's car.

You shouldn't be driving someone else's car, Joe. You're supposed to be learning. Read your permit. It says whoever is 25+ (responsible for you while you are driving) is responsible for any accidents/tickets you get.

Wisconsin != California.

At least in Kansas you cannot legally drive a car without a legal guardian or relative at least 21 years old in the passenger seat if you have a 'learners permit.'

If you have a license, the owners policy always covers car regardless of who is driving it unless it specifically says otherwise.  I'm pretty sure most policies will have a clause saying they provide no insurance or insurance similar to an 'uninsured driver' if the person driving is not a legally licensed driver (you).

I would say I'm a licensed driver. If I have permission from my parents in written form, permisson from the car owner, and the car owner fits the above criteria and is in the passenger's seat, it's perfectly legal for me to drive anywhere anytime.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2007, 06:24:58 pm »
I would say I'm a licensed driver. If I have permission from my parents in written form, permisson from the car owner, and the car owner fits the above criteria and is in the passenger's seat, it's perfectly legal for me to drive anywhere anytime.

Try that in a court room, lol.

EDIT -- I didn't finish reading your post. My bad. You're right. I'm the idiot this time (for once).

I didn't finish reading unTactical's post either. You aren't a legally licensed driver. Otherwise you wouldn't need someone in the car!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 06:27:24 pm by Newby »
- Newby

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2007, 06:36:14 pm »
word.

Seriously.  I don't ever invite my friends to drive my car, and I've only ever been invited to drive two friends' cars (one because he was really tired, the other because he'd been drinking).
I've had FEW people drive my truck.
Family: my dad, my mom, my sister (that was scary, but I took her car so I had to let her)
Non-family: Josh (close friend), Jacque (exwhore...er girlfriend), Val (best friend's girlfriend)....all being times I was un-sober.  Not horribly drunk, but shouldn't be driving

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2007, 09:36:31 pm »
....all being times I was un-sober.  Not horribly drunk, but shouldn't be driving

So, just to clarify, it's okay to break the law in order to drink, but it's not okay to break the law and drive after drinking?
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.