Author Topic: Cisco Sues Apple over use of "iPhone" name  (Read 5900 times)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Re: Cisco Sues Apple over use of "iPhone" name
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2007, 08:33:41 am »
Did they try? Or are you simply stating that? I'm curious; I never saw that in the news. :|
When the name of "Vista" was announced, it was brought up.  But they didn't try suing because they wouldn't have had a case. 

That's not even the best example, it's just the only example I can think of.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2007, 09:44:54 am »
I was thinking prevail in a sense of them winning on legal grounds.

I have no doubt that apple will end up with the name, however.  It'll be settled for $500million or so

You think they'd pay $500 million to own the rights to a name?  I don't...

This was on Colorado's news, I guess.  I saw it on the commercial, but I didn't stick around to watch to story.  I'm sure it would have just been a reiteration anyway.
Maybe not that exact figure, but it will be a big number otherwise they won't be able to use it.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2007, 10:09:26 am »
When the name of "Vista" was announced, it was brought up.  But they didn't try suing because they wouldn't have had a case. 

No, more like Microsoft lawyers would run them out of business before they even came close to winning a case. :P
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Furious

• I hate rabbits
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2007, 10:13:07 am »
Haha...it will interesting to see which way this goes.
[23:04:34] <deadly7[x86]> Newby[x86]
[23:04:35] <deadly7[x86]> YOU ARE AN EMO
[23:04:39] <Newby[x86]> shush it woman

[17:53:31] InsaneJoey[e2] was banned by x86 (GO EAT A BAG OF FUCK ASSHOLE (randomban)).

Quote from: Ergot
Put it this way Joe... you're on my Buddy List... if there's no one else on an you're the only one, I'd rather talk to myself.

Offline Skywing

• View Profile
    • Nynaeve
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2007, 11:14:44 am »
You think they'd pay $500 million to own the rights to a name?  I don't...

This was on Colorado's news, I guess.  I saw it on the commercial, but I didn't stick around to watch to story.  I'm sure it would have just been a reiteration anyway.
Actually, catchy, brand-recognized names are worth a non-trivial amount of money in terms of marketing dollars.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2007, 02:50:30 pm »
Actually, catchy, brand-recognized names are worth a non-trivial amount of money in terms of marketing dollars.

Yeah, I'd have guessed that, but they'd pay half a billion dollars just for rights to a name?

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2007, 05:09:44 pm »

Yeah, I'd have guessed that, but they'd pay half a billion dollars just for rights to a name?
Any idea what the yearly sales of the iPod are?

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/products/2006-01-10-macworld_x.htm
Also Tuesday, the company reported record revenue for the quarter — $5.7 billion, compared with $3.5 billion for the same period in 2004.
All told, Apple has sold 42 million iPods — 76% of them in 2005.
Maye not 500million, but it'll be FRIGGIN high, in the hundreds I'd think.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2007, 05:48:03 pm »

Also Tuesday, the company reported record revenue for the quarter — $5.7 billion, compared with $3.5 billion for the same period in 2004.

That's gross revenue, though.

Even if they are rich, I don't think they'd drop anywhere close to $500 million for rights on a name.  I'm no lawyer or economist, but I still don't think so... we'll see I guess, eh?

trust

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2007, 06:17:15 pm »
I think they would simply because the name is critical to it doing well. However, I agree with iago that they do have a court case (as I've heard that clause before as well) and Apple probably won't have to pay such a  large amount.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2007, 06:24:38 pm »
I think they would simply because the name is critical to it doing well. However, I agree with iago that they do have a court case (as I've heard that clause before as well) and Apple probably won't have to pay such a  large amount.

The thing is that Cisco has had rights to the name for six years. I didn't even hear about the iPod until 2001-ish.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2007, 06:51:42 pm »

Even if they are rich, I don't think they'd drop anywhere close to $500 million for rights on a name.  I'm no lawyer or economist, but I still don't think so... we'll see I guess, eh?
Up through 2005 Apple sold 42million units.  What is the average price of an iPod?...like $250 ish?  (when considering the expensive ones down to the cheap shuffles).  That's $10billion there.  So, maybe not $500million, but it'll be high.

Offline Super_X

• I suck.
  • I suck!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2007, 02:27:46 am »

Up through 2005 Apple sold 42million units.  What is the average price of an iPod?...like $250 ish?  (when considering the expensive ones down to the cheap shuffles).  That's $10billion there.  So, maybe not $500million, but it'll be high.
Gross means before taxes, before paying employees, and suplies. I'm sure they make far less than that as profet.