Author Topic: iPhone  (Read 10919 times)

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
Re: iPhone
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2007, 08:05:36 pm »
I agree, its nice to have lots of features ... its much like a swiss army knife.  Now then, tell me why you don't play mp3s on your phone?  I would guess that your iPod is better at it.  An iPod is designed solely to play and store mp3s ...  I'd much rather have a solid product than a clunky and more expensive one that can do more things with mediocrity than tools designed for such a specific use.

Because I'm too cheap to buy the Verizon media software which means I have to take our my microSD card and put it in an SD adapter and then put it in a USB SD Card stick and then put it in the USB drive and then manually transfer songs to it and then take it back out and put it back in my phone. That's the reason. Plus it's only a 512mb one so my 30gb iPod can hold alot more songs. An 8gig iPhone is more than enough for most people (I've only used about 10gb on my iPod and it's mostly music I don't listen to, and I expect the iPhone capacity to increase.)

I mean take for example, cameras...you could buy a high end digital camera for about the same price as some of these cell phones with less powerful cameras.

Yes, but camera phones are cheap these days and many carriers offer them for free with a contract. A camera phone is a great tool because your phone is much lighter and portable than a regular camera and it's something you'll almost always have. For example today something funny happened at work and I wanted a picture, I used my camera phone because my digital camera isn't something I carry around with me unless I'm going on a trip or something.

Yeah I knew about Opera ... but whether forecast?  Are you serious?  You sit in front of a TV to play Wii...is it such an inconvenience to turn to the Weather channel or at least walk to your computer and look it up?

Yes I'm serious, weather forecast was the first Wii channel Nintendo released aside from Mii and the Wii store. I only brought it up because of you tooting Wii as a no-frills-added video game system. Unfortunately, Nintendo recognized that the Wii has the ability to have cool little addons and it took advantage of that. It makes it easy for someone to look at the weather without leaving their current location or turning off the console.

Another example is my current firefox setup. I have the weather forecast plugin installed so that I don't have to load up a website or turn on the TV. It's not something I need but it's certainly time consuming and convenient.

@ necessity ... thats not the point I was trying to make.  I'm trying to point out that I think its incredibly dumb to have some of these features built into tools that aren't even remotely related.  And you don't have to turn the console off to view television, jeez.  I still can't imagine how anybody would surf the net with a game console...especially with my experience with Microsoft's Ultimate TV, a Tivo-like system that did some of these things.  It even came with a real keyboard ... but it didn't seem to integrate well with TV.
An adorable giant isopod!

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2007, 08:22:27 pm »
-- A computer is designed to be able to do programmable and general tasks, thats what makes it a computer and not a game console, phone or toaster.  I see a trend where everything is converging to computing ... but I truly think that things like phones and game consoles should be left out.  There was nothing wrong with phones before they could watch videos, take pictures, listen to mp3s or browse the internet ... very few people I know actually use these features, and a majority of people I see on campus use an iPod to listen to their music.  Why would you use a game console to browse the web, look at pictures, or stream radio?  Why not use D-Link's or Linksys's specially designed Media Centers?  Wii seems to be successful and it does none of these things, costs a fraction of the price, and all it does is play games ... why else would you have a game console?  Much like, why would you want a board game that could be used as a cutting board and a place mat?  Such features have nothing to do with board games ... notice that I don't complain about bluetooth headsets for phones, how natural is that?  Then ask yourself, how natural an idea it is to incorporate cameras into phones?  How natural is it to add mp3 player functionality to a game console? 
You didn't really address any of the features that I said I use or the concerns that I raised.  Why should I drop $300-$600 for an additional, standalone Media Center device that will use yet another one of my fiber-optic connections to my audio receiver?

The Wii costs $250.  The Xbox 360 costs $300.  The Wii is not really a "fraction" of the price unless you consider "5/6" to be a "fraction" in the dramatic sense that you seemed to imply.

Particularly since MP3s are great containers for audio used by many game studios, it seems like adding MP3 playing functionality to a game console is an extremely natural step.

Yeah, I noticed you forgot the two nines from the xbox price ... at least I had remembered it being $399.  I did a little reading and Best Buy does indeed sell Xbox 360 for $300, but I also read from xbox's site, that it was initially $399.  Wii only recently came out and I would expect it drop in price too.
Additionally, I checked D-Link's Wireless Media Players ...one of these media players can be found for less than $200 and even offers High Definition and integrates with your home network, audio system, and TV.  I don't know where you got $600 from since none of them exceeds $400.  Regardless, I can't neglect your situation with fiber optic cables ... but I do still feel strongly that Xbox 360 and PS3 are trying to be what a computer is supposed to be rather than a game console ... I was a little vague in my original response, but thats what I was trying to get across.  You could have easily hooked up a computer to your entertainment system and had similar and much more functional system, but at the loss of the ability to play Xbox games.  You could even buy a bluetooth mouse and keyboard and use your TV as though it were a computer ... it would integrate well with Windows XP MCA.
As for bluray, you are right about the low price and both companies are taking losses selling these systems ... they hope to make the money back selling games.  My mother's friend bought one of these systems just as a bluray DVD player, not even to play games :P

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2007, 08:27:44 pm »
-- A computer is designed to be able to do programmable and general tasks, thats what makes it a computer and not a game console, phone or toaster.  I see a trend where everything is converging to computing ... but I truly think that things like phones and game consoles should be left out.  There was nothing wrong with phones before they could watch videos, take pictures, listen to mp3s or browse the internet ... very few people I know actually use these features, and a majority of people I see on campus use an iPod to listen to their music.  Why would you use a game console to browse the web, look at pictures, or stream radio?  Why not use D-Link's or Linksys's specially designed Media Centers?  Wii seems to be successful and it does none of these things, costs a fraction of the price, and all it does is play games ... why else would you have a game console?  Much like, why would you want a board game that could be used as a cutting board and a place mat?  Such features have nothing to do with board games ... notice that I don't complain about bluetooth headsets for phones, how natural is that?  Then ask yourself, how natural an idea it is to incorporate cameras into phones?  How natural is it to add mp3 player functionality to a game console? 
You didn't really address any of the features that I said I use or the concerns that I raised.  Why should I drop $300-$600 for an additional, standalone Media Center device that will use yet another one of my fiber-optic connections to my audio receiver?

The Wii costs $250.  The Xbox 360 costs $300.  The Wii is not really a "fraction" of the price unless you consider "5/6" to be a "fraction" in the dramatic sense that you seemed to imply.

Particularly since MP3s are great containers for audio used by many game studios, it seems like adding MP3 playing functionality to a game console is an extremely natural step.

Yeah, I noticed you forgot the two nines from the xbox price ... at least I had remembered it being $399.  I did a little reading and Best Buy does indeed sell Xbox 360 for $300, but I also read from xbox's site, that it was initially $399. 
Get the store correct before you sarcastically challenge what I'm saying and try to make me look stupid.  The Xbox 360 came out in November 2005 at two price points: $299.99, for the "base" model, and $399.99, which included a hard drive and a media remote.  You could use Media Center functionality out of the box for the $299.99 model.

Wii only recently came out and I would expect it drop in price too.
Additionally, I checked D-Link's Wireless Media Players ...one of these media players can be found for less than $200 and even offers High Definition and integrates with your home network, audio system, and TV.  I don't know where you got $600 from since none of them exceeds $400. 
That's the price I'd pay to build my own appliance (I don't typically buy computers from the store).  But even at $200, a Wii + D-Link comes out at $50 more than the more expensive Xbox 360 unit and it takes up twice as much not only in terms of space, cabling, etc., but also things such as power adapters.

Regardless, I can't neglect your situation with fiber optic cables ... but I do still feel strongly that Xbox 360 and PS3 are trying to be what a computer is supposed to be rather than a game console ... I was a little vague in my original response, but thats what I was trying to get across.  You could have easily hooked up a computer to your entertainment system and had similar and much more functional system, but at the loss of the ability to play Xbox games.  You could even buy a bluetooth mouse and keyboard and use your TV as though it were a computer ... it would integrate well with Windows XP MCA.
Media Center Edition's functionality is entirely accessible through the Xbox 360, thus making the computer superfluous.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2007, 08:41:59 pm »

Yeah, I noticed you forgot the two nines from the xbox price ... at least I had remembered it being $399.  I did a little reading and Best Buy does indeed sell Xbox 360 for $300, but I also read from xbox's site, that it was initially $399. 
Get the store correct before you sarcastically challenge what I'm saying and try to make me look stupid.  The Xbox 360 came out in November 2005 at two price points: $299.99, for the "base" model, and $399.99, which included a hard drive and a media remote.  You could use Media Center functionality out of the box for the $299.99 model.

Nobody has sarcastically challenged you ... the only one here on the offense is you.  I have admitted myself wrong where necessary, and I have done my best looking for sources.  You have insulted me (@ psychological state comment) and misconstrued my posts.  I still hold my view that PS 3 and XBox 360 are trying to be what computers are, rather than being game consoles ... I believe this should be fairly obvious by how you described your setup.  Additionally I still believe that many features in cell phones are redundant.  I personally would rather have a game console that just played games, I wouldn't value features like weather forecasting, ability to browse the net, and so forth in a game console since I can accomplish these things far more easily on my computer.

Offline l)a-Sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2007, 11:45:14 pm »
It has been officially announced, and it just oozes sex appeal. I love it.

Link: http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/09/the-apple-iphone/

Picture:
This is why I like x86 forums. At SB there are just dumbasses who say 'z0mg they stole teh name!!!!111 apple is teh sux!!!!1111oneoneleveln', here people actually have a brain.

Offline Super_X

• I suck.
  • I suck!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2007, 02:20:06 am »

Picture:
This is why I like x86 forums. At SB there are just dumbasses who say 'z0mg they stole teh name!!!!111 apple is teh sux!!!!1111oneoneleveln', here people actually have a brain.
Keep that on the down low, last thing we need is a lot of Stealthbot kids that think they are smart to show up and dumb down the population.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 02:22:29 am by Super_X »

trust

« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2007, 08:30:53 am »
Yeah, I think Joe's about all we can handle.  ;)

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2007, 12:26:51 pm »

Picture:

What part about them stealing the name of another phone is hard for you to understand? Cisco was more than happy enough to give them rights and even collaborate with them, but Apple decided to do their own thing.

If the people at SB are so bad, then it should be trivial for you to mount an argument right? Or do you just flock with the rest of the sheep who like Apple and all drool over your abominations together?
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline l)a-Sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2007, 05:34:45 pm »
No no Warrior, you misunderstood me. I am not denying that Apple stole the iPhone nor that is was stupid to use it even thought it was owned by Cisco. I was simply saying that people at SB are idiots and you can't have a simple discussion with them