Author Topic: Cisco Sues Apple over use of "iPhone" name  (Read 5998 times)

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
Cisco Sues Apple over use of "iPhone" name
« on: January 10, 2007, 07:37:44 pm »
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Re: Cisco Sues Apple over use of "iPhone" name
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 08:12:52 pm »
May or may not be meaningful -- Apple is making a cell-phone and Cisco has a VOIP phone.  I'm sure this will resolve itself.

It was only a matter of time before Apple made something called iPhone -- I bet Cisco was just squatting on that trademark waiting :)

I don't think this'll make any significant impact, though.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 08:16:53 pm »
Kerris added: "If Cisco wants to challenge us on it, we are very confident we would prevail."
I'm very confident that this person isn't actually right

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 08:54:54 pm »
Kerris added: "If Cisco wants to challenge us on it, we are very confident we would prevail."

I'm pretty confident, but you never know with lawyers.
- Newby

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 08:56:43 pm »

I'm pretty confident, but you never know with lawyers.

yeah, lawyers can twist everything =\
An adorable giant isopod!

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 09:53:19 pm »
May or may not be meaningful -- Apple is making a cell-phone and Cisco has a VOIP phone.  I'm sure this will resolve itself.

It was only a matter of time before Apple made something called iPhone -- I bet Cisco was just squatting on that trademark waiting :)

I don't think this'll make any significant impact, though.
Squatting, my ass.  Cisco has been pumping out iPhone brand stuff for months already.  Not to mention Apple asked for permission to use "iPhone" and then didn't bother to wait for a response before introducing their POS product.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 09:57:09 pm »
It makes sense, too. IP Phone => IPhone => iPhone.
- Newby

trust

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 10:08:15 pm »
Apple will end up settling/winning this. They'll prevail. It's obvious Cisco is willing to give them the name...since they thought Apple "agreed" after they introduced it as the iPhone. Apple has a big bankroll and will be able to pay any price asked, and if Cisco wants to continue with the lawsuit Apple can fund a better team of lawyers. Plus Apple products are associated with the i prefix. iMac, iPod, iSight, iMovie, iLife, etc. Go Apple!

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2007, 10:34:23 pm »
Plus Apple products are associated with the i prefix. iMac, iPod, iSight, iMovie, iLife, etc. Go Apple!

And Cisco's VOIP Phone is named iPhone. They have the rights to it. Just because Apple does everything else with 'I' doesn't mean Cisco can't. :)

Apple will settle? Yes. Apple will win in a fight? No.
- Newby

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2007, 10:37:55 pm »
It depends if they figure that people could get confused between a VOIP Phone and a Cell Phone.  Like, there's a reason that "Windows Vista" can have the same name as a Window store: they are distinct. 

Whatever happens, it's going to work out for Apple.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2007, 10:53:58 pm »
It depends if they figure that people could get confused between a VOIP Phone and a Cell Phone.

That affects the law? Even when Cisco has had that copyrighted name for six years? I hardly think so. But I could be mistaken.
- Newby

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2007, 11:03:11 pm »
It depends if they figure that people could get confused between a VOIP Phone and a Cell Phone.

That affects the law? Even when Cisco has had that copyrighted name for six years? I hardly think so. But I could be mistaken.

Yes, it does.  Ever heard of "Vista Windows"?  They make the glass things you put in walls.  Why can't they sue Microsoft for Windows Vista?  Because they're distinct products.  (www.vistawindows.com)

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2007, 01:09:40 am »
Did they try? Or are you simply stating that? I'm curious; I never saw that in the news. :|
- Newby

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2007, 01:32:57 am »
Apple will end up settling/winning this. They'll prevail. It's obvious Cisco is willing to give them the name...since they thought Apple "agreed" after they introduced it as the iPhone. Apple has a big bankroll and will be able to pay any price asked, and if Cisco wants to continue with the lawsuit Apple can fund a better team of lawyers. Plus Apple products are associated with the i prefix. iMac, iPod, iSight, iMovie, iLife, etc. Go Apple!
I was thinking prevail in a sense of them winning on legal grounds.

I have no doubt that apple will end up with the name, however.  It'll be settled for $500million or so

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2007, 01:35:52 am »
I was thinking prevail in a sense of them winning on legal grounds.

I have no doubt that apple will end up with the name, however.  It'll be settled for $500million or so

You think they'd pay $500 million to own the rights to a name?  I don't...

This was on Colorado's news, I guess.  I saw it on the commercial, but I didn't stick around to watch to story.  I'm sure it would have just been a reiteration anyway.