Author Topic: Mother furious that drunk driver that killed her son...  (Read 13377 times)

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
Re: Mother furious that drunk driver that killed her son...
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2007, 07:43:05 pm »
Also, that people are stupid enough to get in a car (or trunk) when somebody's driving drunk.

I hate you.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2007, 07:48:51 pm »
but that $200k or so might help them out financially. 
$200k would help me out financially right now, so you should give it to me. 

I'm pretty sure you'd take the money if you were put in the situation. 

Also, such a tragedy would likely put one into a severe depression, preventing him/her from being able to work and therefore preventing him/her from earning money that he/she ordinarily would have earned.  Therefore it makes sense that this person should receive financial assistance, and that there is nothing insensible about asking for it.

It's not a question of whether the money will bring back her son.  That argument applied to justice is totally fallacious.  Should the driver not be imprisoned because that wouldn't bring back the victim? There are other things to consider.
I might take the money because I'm greedy, not because I think it would be just. 

Losing a kid sucks, and perhaps you're right that they deserve some financial assistance so they can take off work and mourn properly.  But I think that people care too much about the money, as evidenced by responses in this thread.  The kid's life is way more important than money, but people here seem eager to look for the money. 

And no, but the insurance company sending the person money isn't going to change anything.  On the other hand, if the person who killed the kid went to jail, he's not going to do that again; and if people who they might go to jail, they are going to be a lot more wary.  I think that a lot of the stuff about jail-time is about prevention, not punishment. 

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2007, 08:00:20 pm »
but that $200k or so might help them out financially. 
$200k would help me out financially right now, so you should give it to me. 
I'm gonna go ahead and say that I need it moreso than you (especially since I have what amounts to a negative income)...so you give me $200k and I'll giv eyou $20k.

Also, such a tragedy would likely put one into a severe depression, preventing him/her from being able to work and therefore preventing him/her from earning money that he/she ordinarily would have earned.  Therefore it makes sense that this person should receive financial assistance, and that there is nothing insensible about asking for it.

It's not a question of whether the money will bring back her son.  That argument applied to justice is totally fallacious.  Should the driver not be imprisoned because that wouldn't bring back the victim? There are other things to consider.
On the other hand, if the person who killed the kid went to jail, he's not going to do that again; and if people who they might go to jail, they are going to be a lot more wary.  I think that a lot of the stuff about jail-time is about prevention, not punishment. 
mmm, death penalty is still way better than jail

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2007, 08:41:01 pm »

?  Are you suggesting that in any circumstance someone is imprisoned, he would be better off dead?  If not, what is the point of this comment?

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2007, 08:51:01 pm »
I don't see any reason that people convicted of Murder1 should get the death penalty that doesn't also apply to drunk driving.  Of course, I've given that statement maybe 15 seconds of thought...

Of course, I don't support the death penalty under any circumstance, so that's pretty moot as far as I'm concerned.

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2007, 09:07:21 pm »
Of course, I don't support the death penalty under any circumstance, so that's pretty moot as far as I'm concerned.

Under any circumstance, ever?  When people are so black and white I often wonder whether they hold certain beliefs out of stubbornness.  I think many people do this, and as a result their positions in most arguments are essentially determined before much of the critical information about the individual situation has come to light; it's a dangerous practice.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2007, 09:12:57 pm »

?  Are you suggesting that in any circumstance someone is imprisoned, he would be better off dead?  If not, what is the point of this comment?

just poking at iago saying that if the guy went to jail he wouldnt do it again.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2007, 09:33:00 pm »

Under any circumstance, ever?  When people are so black and white I often wonder whether they hold certain beliefs out of stubbornness.  I think many people do this, and as a result their positions in most arguments are essentially determined before much of the critical information about the individual situation has come to light; it's a dangerous practice.

I have seen no situation where the death penalty is a good option. 

But I admit that there are situations where the death penalty is the best option.  But those are few and far between. 

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2007, 01:32:28 pm »
Will she be able to file a civil suit?
yeah.
You can always file a civil suit.

Just has to hope that the driver had insurance...:(
...or enough crap that she can take some of it away from him (unlikely if he doesnt have insurance)
Why, will the insurance bring back her son?

Then who cares.

If it was my kid, I wouldn't give a shit about getting money.  What's done is done, and nothing will bring him back.

Agreed.  Also the money would take care of funeral expenses.

"This was my only child and he's gone forever, and everybody loved him...he was a wonderful person and he was taken away from me forever and I will never have grandchildren and I don't know what I'll do now, Parks said.
God, that's really sad.

I can not believe that he wasn't put in prision for this.  What a bunch of moronic judges.
The once grove of splendor,
Aforetime crowned by lilac and lily,
Lay now forevermore slender;
And all winds that liven
Silhouette a lone existence;
A leafless oak grasping at eternity.

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2007, 01:42:09 pm »
I can not believe that he wasn't put in prision for this.  What a bunch of moronic judges.
Wouldn't it be the fault of the jurors?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 01:43:43 pm by dark_drake »
errr... something like that...

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2007, 02:05:15 pm »
Austin Day's mother, Cindy Park, couldn't hold back her emotions as jurors walked out of the county courthouse.
Pretty sure it was jurors, yeah.

Law system doesnt make sense at all...not at all.

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2007, 07:23:06 pm »
Yeah.  Opsy. :P
The once grove of splendor,
Aforetime crowned by lilac and lily,
Lay now forevermore slender;
And all winds that liven
Silhouette a lone existence;
A leafless oak grasping at eternity.

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2007, 07:25:12 pm »
Agreed.  People are too dumb for democracy.

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2007, 10:06:09 pm »

Still probably the best form of government.  Sure, a dictatorship is wonderful if you have a good dictator, but that's pretty unlikely to happen.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2007, 10:13:12 pm »

Still probably the best form of government.  Sure, a dictatorship is wonderful if you have a good dictator, but that's pretty unlikely to happen.

Yep.  I'm not satisfied with the current form of government or our legal system.  But I can't suggest anything better.

But when I come up with the way to fix the world, I'll let you guys know.