Author Topic: Mother furious that drunk driver that killed her son...  (Read 13384 times)

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
Re: Mother furious that drunk driver that killed her son...
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2007, 03:33:49 pm »
So had the war in Iraq been specifically for oil and publicly expressed from the beginning, it'd be fine...
Wait a second, we're not staying on the good side of anybody in this war....
errr... something like that...

Offline Screenor

• My own little world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2007, 03:41:09 pm »
The POINT is, the US wasn't forced to help because the British are pathetic.  However, the US did sat on its ass and let the rest of the world fight. :P
I'm pretty sure a lot of countries are still in debt to the US with how much in money/supplies we gave.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2007, 05:37:34 pm »
So had the war in Iraq been specifically for oil and publicly expressed from the beginning, it'd be fine...
Wait a second, we're not staying on the good side of anybody in this war....
If gas prices go down I'm happy..

Offline dark_drake

• x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2007, 06:22:26 pm »
Really, just stop driving so much. What forces you to drive and not use public transportation, walk, or ride a bicycle?

The problem we have with this war is that we're not doing anything to help ourselves or the rest of the  world.  We're not honoring any friendships in this so-called "war."  Europe, on the other hand, was falling, and they needed us to step in and help; they were our friends and allies. All in all, I honestly don't think it's fair to compare WWII or WWI to this conflict in Iraq. 

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2007, 06:37:19 pm »
Really, just stop driving so much. What forces you to drive and not use public transportation, walk, or ride a bicycle?

Time constraints and availability.

Once I got into town I suppose I could ride the bus, but I'd still be late everywhere I go.
(I drive for work)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2007, 10:29:29 pm »
Gas prices are dangerously cheap in the US.  They should go up to Canada's prices ($4/gallon) or European prices ($10+/gallon) to encourage people to be less wasteful, if nothing else. 

Too many people in the US drive big trucks and SUVs that are completely unnecessary, but because gas is so cheap they don't see a problem with being wasteful.  Almost everybody here drives a car (unless there's some compelling reason to get a truck -- ie, being a farmer).

That's a whole different thing, though :P

The POINT is, the US wasn't forced to help because the British are pathetic.  However, the US did sat on its ass and let the rest of the world fight. :P
What is it with bashing the British? Seriously, the British Empire was able to hold off the Germans for quite a while by themselves.
I worded that wrong.  I was trying to deny what was said before, "We joined the war because Britain is such a pussy country." which is wrong in every possible way. 

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2007, 10:30:43 pm »
Gas prices are dangerously cheap in the US.  They should go up to Canada's prices ($4/gallon) or European prices ($10+/gallon) to encourage people to be less wasteful, if nothing else. 

Too many people in the US drive big trucks and SUVs that are completely unnecessary, but because gas is so cheap they don't see a problem with being wasteful.  Almost everybody here drives a car (unless there's some compelling reason to get a truck -- ie, being a farmer).

That's a whole different thing, though :P

What is it with bashing the British? Seriously, the British Empire was able to hold off the Germans for quite a while by themselves.
I worded that wrong.  I was trying to deny what was said before, "We joined the war because Britain is such a pussy country." which is wrong in every possible way. 

Gas is subsidized in the US.

Offline dark_drake

• x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2007, 10:32:28 pm »

Once I got into town I suppose I could ride the bus, but I'd still be late everywhere I go.
(I drive for work)
How far do you have to drive, and doesn't your job pay the gas that you use?

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2007, 12:21:40 am »
Gas is subsidized in the US.
We go the other way and tax gas. 

But seriously, that doesn't change anything -- it's still dangerously cheap in the US.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2007, 03:43:44 am »
We go the other way and tax gas. 

But seriously, that doesn't change anything -- it's still dangerously cheap in the US.

We make up for it by taxing handguns. :P

I don't think it's dangerously cheap.  Considering we're making a major contribution to finding an alternative source of fuel, I don't think we're doing nothing but guzzling gas and burning holes in the ozone.

If you're suggesting that the prices of gas in the US be raised by a degree that will make them comparable to the prices in Canada or Europe, you should probably have a chat with anyone holding an economics degree...

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2007, 08:36:05 am »
I don't think it's dangerously cheap.  Considering we're making a major contribution to finding an alternative source of fuel, I don't think we're doing nothing but guzzling gas and burning holes in the ozone.
if an alternative source of fuel is found, then life'll be good.  Till then, if people can afford to drive hummers to work/soccer practice, I think there's a problem.

If you're suggesting that the prices of gas in the US be raised by a degree that will make them comparable to the prices in Canada or Europe, you should probably have a chat with anyone holding an economics degree...
Nah, they're all idiots (unless they agree with me).

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2007, 09:14:45 am »

(I drive for work)
How far do you have to drive, and doesn't your job pay the gas that you use?
Drive 10 miles to class, from class about 6? to work and at work it varies depending upon where I go.
I get paid some, but I don't believe it covers it completely.

Offline Screenor

• My own little world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2007, 06:30:09 pm »
Haven't we found an alternative source? What are all those commercials I see talking about "the new green" or whatever.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #58 on: January 19, 2007, 07:29:41 pm »
Haven't we found an alternative source? What are all those commercials I see talking about "the new green" or whatever.

I don't think they're attempting to replace fossil fuels; they're just grouping together all of the known alternatives (wind, water, etc), but I could be wrong.

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2007, 07:37:17 pm »
As far as my understanding of it is, the rest of the world got pissed after The World War (WW1) at the United States for joining the war with a Glorified World Babysitter additude, so they didn't join WW2 until they were rudely invited by Japan.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.