Author Topic: lookin for new job, bank teller maybe  (Read 4554 times)

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
lookin for new job, bank teller maybe
« on: January 16, 2007, 05:45:53 pm »
My sister has a friend who works at Wells Fargo as (I believe) a bank teller.  Works part time and does school part time, which is what I do now...but would like a bit more money and less driving.

Have any of you all college people worked as a bank teller, especially for Wells Fargo or Pioneer Bank (those 2 are both walkin distance from the house I will be moving into in Feb.)?
Suggestions?

As far as letting my current boss know my status, should I just tell him I'm lookin around for something closer to where I live so I make more and driver less?  Ask for letter of reference?
What should I mention on resume?  I currently am thinking.....

-Top 10% of 2005 class of Mayfield High School
-Enrolled in 2nd year at New Mexico State University w/3.7 GPA
-Boy Scouts of America Eagle Scout Award
-Extracuriculars: Pi Sigma Alpha GOVT honor society, College Republicans.
-Past work experience: 2.5 years with Joseph Holmes, P.A. as legal runner (client interaction [greeting, answering phones], filing documents in office and out of office)

(the above is obviously a VERY rough draft)

So, thoughts on Wells Fargo & resume?

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
Re: lookin for new job, bank teller maybe
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 05:49:46 pm »
What is your GPA out of?  3.7 / ?

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 05:53:30 pm »
-Past work experience: 2.5 years with Joseph Holmes, P.A. as legal runner (client interaction [greeting, answering phones], filing documents in office and out of office)
Wait... is it offensive just to say you're the secretary? :P

I've never worked at either place, but as far as your boss goes, just tell him the truth about needing a job closer to your residence, and I'm sure he'd give you a recommendation if you were any good.
errr... something like that...

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 06:06:36 pm »
GPA out of 4.

drake, there are 2 legal assistants/secretaries here...when I see the job posted on campus for other firms its labeled "legal runner"...thats just what I was goin by.

edit:
Wells Fargo has an online application along with a place to submit a resume and a seperate place to mention past work experience.
SO, I'm leaving my description (and saving, not submitting) it as "Greeted clients at the door and on telephone, typed legal drafts and correspondence"

would I want to include the operation and maintenance of basic office machines and filing of documents thorughout office and around town (I'm thinkin not, too trivial sounding)?
list the rest as just "and miscellaneous office duties"???
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 06:42:16 pm by CrAz3D »

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 10:50:43 pm »
A good friend of mine is a hiring manager for Wells Fargo.  She regularly checks applicants' MySpaces, FYI.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007, 12:50:59 am »
A good friend of mine is a hiring manager for Wells Fargo.  She regularly checks applicants' MySpaces, FYI.
1) Nothing incriminating as far as stuff I've posted or pictures (maybe some shady stuff my friends have said, but the bad stuff gets deleted...even as sparse as it is)
2) My MySpace and FaceBook are private ;)

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2007, 03:02:58 am »
1) Nothing incriminating as far as stuff I've posted or pictures (maybe some shady stuff my friends have said, but the bad stuff gets deleted...even as sparse as it is)

You'd be surprised how word gets around of your myspace/facebook.  I'm sure the majority of this is because I live in a small town, but my sister had some "inappropriate" things on her myspace and her boyfriend's mom saw it because he left his browser running.  Little things like that can happen that can ruin the whole "private" aspect of the profile.  Anyway, I'm sure you're already aware of this.  I still think it's worth avoiding "R-rated" content on your myspace profile, though.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2007, 10:34:39 am »

You'd be surprised how word gets around of your myspace/facebook.  I'm sure the majority of this is because I live in a small town, but my sister had some "inappropriate" things on her myspace and her boyfriend's mom saw it because he left his browser running.  Little things like that can happen that can ruin the whole "private" aspect of the profile.  Anyway, I'm sure you're already aware of this.  I still think it's worth avoiding "R-rated" content on your myspace profile, though.
At best, the only 'bad' stuff on there is PG-13.
Nothing incriminating except drinking related stuff...and that is rather infrequent.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2007, 11:13:19 am »
Nothing incriminating except drinking related stuff...and that is rather infrequent.

I think the drinking is probably enough of a turn off for most employers.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2007, 11:32:32 am »

Very doubtful.
A lot of the people workin as tellers in town are college aged people...so, my best guess is that at least 50% of them drink (just by their appearance, like people that would go out on the weekends and have a good time).
Also, drinking wouldnt inhibit my performance, unless I was intoxicated on the job.

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2007, 12:30:00 pm »

I realize that you're saying that it was the boyfriends fault, not your sister, but I thought I'd like to plug this in: My parents have found themselves totally incapable of penetrating either of my computers. On my Windows box, I'm set to lock the screen after two minutes of idle (I never leave the house within two minutes of getting up, so I'd know if they tried using it -- that's just for bio breaks and my bathroom is right outside my bedroom and I'd hear them walk by), and my Linux box is even easier -- I don't log out on it or anything but they don't have the slightest idea how to do anything with it.. which is sad because I'm contemplating making my brother use Linux so he learns how to use a computer for real and stops getting viruses left and right. Cleaned out his quarantine and counted thirty thousand, although I don't doubt some of them tried repopulating and got caught again.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2007, 12:41:45 pm »
I realize that you're saying that it was the boyfriends fault, not your sister, but I thought I'd like to plug this in: My parents have found themselves totally incapable of penetrating either of my computers. On my Windows box, I'm set to lock the screen after two minutes of idle (I never leave the house within two minutes of getting up, so I'd know if they tried using it -- that's just for bio breaks and my bathroom is right outside my bedroom and I'd hear them walk by), and my Linux box is even easier -- I don't log out on it or anything but they don't have the slightest idea how to do anything with it.. which is sad because I'm contemplating making my brother use Linux so he learns how to use a computer for real and stops getting viruses left and right. Cleaned out his quarantine and counted thirty thousand, although I don't doubt some of them tried repopulating and got caught again.
You do realize that your parents trust you, right?  If they didn't, they'd tell you to log on and let them see.  If you didn't do it, they could just take your computers away.  :-\
errr... something like that...

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2007, 01:27:09 pm »

What is your point?  It wasn't that big of a deal.  She had some "inappropriate" things on there (mostly funny images that were far from PG-rated), but nothing that would damage her reputation beyond a slight questioning of maturity.  I used that as an example because it shows how "private" profiles can still get around beyond your friends, not because she had bad things on her profile.

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2007, 10:37:00 pm »
On my Windows box, I'm set to lock the screen after two minutes of idle
Windows Key + L ftw.

Very doubtful.
I think you're in denial.  Proof of drinking (or even glorifying it on your MySpace) is a lot worse than just suspecting someone of drinking.  Then the fact is that you're breaking the law.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2007, 01:01:04 am »
Very doubtful.
I think you're in denial.  Proof of drinking (or even glorifying it on your MySpace) is a lot worse than just suspecting someone of drinking.  Then the fact is that you're breaking the law.
Our school is well known in our area as a partying school.  And since it hasn't had an effect on my grades, my group involvement, and previous employment...even if they found something (it wouldn't be much) I don't think it would count against me enough to discredit me