Author Topic: What raise amount to ask for...  (Read 4700 times)

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
What raise amount to ask for...
« on: January 22, 2007, 07:50:43 pm »
Background:
-I move out of my parents' house 1st weekend of Feb
-I make less than I will be spending.  I make about $5k/yr and will be spending (I figured) $8k/yr...my income supplemented by my savings account
-I've been looking at applying for a teller job at Wells Fargo because my sister's friend works there making $11/hr, started around $8/hr

So today I mentioned to my boss that I might be applying there because I'm moving out, he said it'd be nice to keep me there and if need be he can give me a raise.  He asked if I was leaving for a change of job or for money, I said money.  My boss said to think through my finances and figure out what I'd need to stay.

As I left work one of the secretaries walked out with me and asked about the same mentioning Joe (my boss) is always VERY helpful and understanding about things like that.

SO, my question is, what sort of raise ought I to ask for, its confusing especially since the crazy Dems are raising minimum wage by like a bizzillion? 
(I make $6.50/hr +$40/month for gas)

trust

Re: What raise amount to ask for...
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 08:00:14 pm »
Just say what you'd be making at the other place and see if he can match it.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 08:29:35 pm »
...I'm not entirely sure what I'd be making there (their application has a place for desired minimum pay)...I guess I could go off of my sis' friend started at

trust

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 08:30:50 pm »
...I'm not entirely sure what I'd be making there (their application has a place for desired minimum pay)...I guess I could go off of my sis' friend started at

Just tell him how you're 3,000 under what you need to live for the year and then just be like "And the starting pay at WF is around $9"

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2007, 08:48:40 pm »
Or realize that the minimum wage increase is only for large businesses and is probably going to get a presidential veto.

How much do you make per hour?
How many hours per week do you work?

If you're making $500 an hour and working 10 minutes a week....erm.
If you're making $6.15 and working 10 hours a week....erm.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2007, 08:55:38 pm »
Or realize that the minimum wage increase is only for large businesses and is probably going to get a presidential veto.
But it means prices will go up and any raise I get now will be, essentially, worth less than if there was no wage raise (& hopefully Bush vetos it hardcore)

How much do you make per hour?
How many hours per week do you work?

If you're making $500 an hour and working 10 minutes a week....erm.
If you're making $6.15 and working 10 hours a week....erm.
If you read post #1 you'd know I make $6.50/hr + $40/month for gas.
I work about 16 +/- hours a week. (1-5 Mon-Thurs & 1-3 Fri, in general)

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2007, 08:58:12 pm »
Dammit, I totally missed those parenthesesiseses.  Anyway, say if you got the new job you'd get about $9-10/hour base, and then work from there.  You can probably get at least $9 from your current job.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2007, 09:08:47 pm »
Dammit, I totally missed those parenthesesiseses.  Anyway, say if you got the new job you'd get about $9-10/hour base, and then work from there.  You can probably get at least $9 from your current job.
I was thinkin $7.50...that's $1 more and I feel guilty, somtimes, that I dont do enough there as it is

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2007, 01:00:21 am »
But it means prices will go up and any raise I get now will be, essentially, worth less than if there was no wage raise (& hopefully Bush vetos it hardcore)

Yeah.. I'd rather keep some people poor than make everyone poor and unemployed thanks to inflation.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2007, 07:05:38 am »

Yeah.. I'd rather keep some people poor than make everyone poor and unemployed thanks to inflation.
You don't even know what you're talking about, you're just agreeing with somebody so you can fit in.

Offline Furious

• I hate rabbits
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2007, 08:25:54 am »

You don't even know what you're talking about, you're just agreeing with somebody so you can fit in.

Woohoo!  Another rabbit bash.

More on topic, why do you work less then 20 hours per week?  What's the average of a one bedroom apartment where you live?
[23:04:34] <deadly7[x86]> Newby[x86]
[23:04:35] <deadly7[x86]> YOU ARE AN EMO
[23:04:39] <Newby[x86]> shush it woman

[17:53:31] InsaneJoey[e2] was banned by x86 (GO EAT A BAG OF FUCK ASSHOLE (randomban)).

Quote from: Ergot
Put it this way Joe... you're on my Buddy List... if there's no one else on an you're the only one, I'd rather talk to myself.

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2007, 09:16:40 am »

What part do you think I don't know about? How we can't buy a loaf of bread for a quarter anymore thanks to inflation? Or that people get paid more than $2.50 per hour..thanks to inflation? Or that we have a very high unemployment rate..... thanks to inflation?
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2007, 09:37:49 am »

More on topic, why do you work less then 20 hours per week?  What's the average of a one bedroom apartment where you live?
I can do my job in less than the 4 that I'm there.  Plus as it is now, I have plenty of free time for friends and school work too.

Offline Furious

• I hate rabbits
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2007, 10:39:45 am »

I can do my job in less than the 4 that I'm there.  Plus as it is now, I have plenty of free time for friends and school work too.

If you don't mind me asking, what do you do?  I've never had a job that I can "do" in a certain amount of time, I always manage to find more to do.
[23:04:34] <deadly7[x86]> Newby[x86]
[23:04:35] <deadly7[x86]> YOU ARE AN EMO
[23:04:39] <Newby[x86]> shush it woman

[17:53:31] InsaneJoey[e2] was banned by x86 (GO EAT A BAG OF FUCK ASSHOLE (randomban)).

Quote from: Ergot
Put it this way Joe... you're on my Buddy List... if there's no one else on an you're the only one, I'd rather talk to myself.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2007, 02:09:46 pm »
Secretarial things...basically.
I'm a legal runner, SO, I answer phones (sometimes), do the mail, file client folders, index files, gopher for things to accountants/courts/lawyers/banks, sometimes draft legal & correspondence documents...and other misc. things.

SO, sometimes there just isnt anything for me to do

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2007, 03:18:21 pm »

What part do you think I don't know about? How we can't buy a loaf of bread for a quarter anymore thanks to inflation? Or that people get paid more than $2.50 per hour..thanks to inflation? Or that we have a very high unemployment rate..... thanks to inflation?

I'm not economist, but I'm really sure there's more to it.

trust

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2007, 04:58:47 pm »
Actually we have a low unemployment rate.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2007, 06:32:00 pm »
Actually we have a low unemployment rate.
Because Bush screwed up the...oh wait......... :-\

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2007, 08:19:18 pm »

I'm not economist, but I'm really sure there's more to it.
Let's also not forget that the minimum wage increase isn't even a law yet.  And you can't have two complete opposite results with the same cause; "PEOPLE MAKE MORE MONEY AND MORE PEOPLE HAVE NO JOBS BECAUSE OF INFLATION!"  Minimum wage is the same relative amount, it's just that OUR currency is balls and people need to be paid more of it to accommodate the difference.